Version 1.6.1 - Heartbleed Fix

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Version 1.6.1 - Heartbleed Fix

Post by Eric »

Version 1.6.1 is primarily a bugfix release. A fix for the recent heartbleed openssl bug is included, along with several other non-security related fixes and improvements.

Only routers that were using the Tor or OpenVPN functionality in Gargoyle were vulnerable to the heartbleed bug. Anyone who is using either of these applications is strongly advised to upgrade.

Also, functionality to clear out old OpenVPN keys and certificates has been introduced (disable OpenVPN, then click "Clear All Existing OpenVPN keys"). It is strongly recommended that anyone running an OpenVPN server on a router that was potentially vulnerable to heartbleed, take advantage of this functionality and regenerate all of their keys and certificates. The primary reason for the slight delay in this release from when heartbleed was first disclosed was to implement this functionality. Since OpenVPN is one of only two vulnerable applications, it made sense to make sure the ability to clear old, vulnerable keys was implemented along with the fix for the bug itself.

New in 1.6.1:
  • Fixes "heartbleed" bug in OpenSSL, OpenSSL upgraded to 1.0.1g which is not vulnerable
  • Ability to clear old keys and certificates when OpenVPN is disabled implemented
  • New option to explicitly block nonOpenVPN traffic in OpenVPN Client, preventing problems if OpenVPN connection dies
  • Notice of OpenVPN status added to login page when OpenVPN client is active
  • Fixes implementation of DMZ, should now work with port forwarding again
  • Improved identification of default ping target for QoS ACC
  • Tor version upgraded to latest stable 0.2.4.21
  • Add German Translation (Thanks to Thomas Knepper)

thatguychuck

Re: Version 1.6.1 - Heartbleed Fix

Post by thatguychuck »

Thank you, had been keeping an eye out for this. Sys upgrade on wndr3700v2 successful, will post again if any issues arise.

erez669

Post by erez669 »

this will fix stability wifi issues on tp-link tl-wr1043nd v1 hardware that i report on this forum more than once?

kris87

Post by kris87 »

I would like to download 1.6.1 version of Gargoyle for my tl-mr3220 V2 but unfortunately I can't find it in a download list. This model is supported by openwrt and it works well with Barrier Breaker, but I like Gargoyle much better.

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

If I read the Git commits correctly, this uses the latest 40423 version of AA?

Thank you for the good UI love to increase VPN control and transparency! I need to go and buy myself additional routers to play with.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

erez669: I was never able to reproduce the problems you reported, and I have several of this exact model router. I don't know why you were having problems, but it's possible that this was a hardware issue

kris87: Gargoyle will be based on stable OpenWRT "Attitude Adjustment" until OpenWRT creates a new stable branch from "Barrier Breaker". Support would have to be backported to AA to include this router in Gargoyle, though if you (or anyone else) wants to do this just send me a pull request.

throughwalls: Yes, 1.6.1 is based on r40423 of AA. Also, I think this version should address/fix all your concerns regarding OpenVPN that you voiced last November. If you have further suggestions, let me know.

jorge

Post by jorge »

As erez669, I also have always had wifi issue with gargoyle tplink1043 v1, the wifi is disconnected or turned off at times. not seem hardware failure because reverting to official firmware there is no such issue.

erez669

Post by erez669 »

but with official firmware there is another serious issues with web interface inaccessible, not only wifi, the wifi speed on official firmware is disaster, with this openwrt the wifi is much better (when it's working), but it's working only for 1-2 days and then i must reboot the wifi module or all router.
hope that will fix sometime, i can't say certainly that it is hardware bug or not.
:D 8-)

jorge

Post by jorge »

I never had problems with official firmware (the wifi speed is the same, accesing web interface ok), but i like the gargoyle firmw for vpn and other applications that the official fw don´t has. I now have a 1043 v2 and I will test if it is more stable with this issues.

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

I have upgraded a TP-Link TL-WR740N/ND v7 to this version and so far it has been flawless in the basic functionality.

Have not been able to try the OpenVPN enhancements yet.