Version 1.5.10

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

jrierab

Re: Version 1.5.10

Post by jrierab »

Installed without problems on TL-WR1043ND.

However, when trying to install USB drivers (USB 2 serial cable) the following error appears:

$ gpkg install kmod-usb-serial-ftdi

ERROR: Dependency kernel (= 3.3.8-1-d6597ebf6203328d3519ea3c3371a493) of package kmod-usb-serial-ftdi is installed, but has incompatible version 3.3.8-1-418b0c9a3d2b0325109c4c9dd8680699 and is marked as 'hold'

Any clues on why this could be happening?

jdroh

Post by jdroh »

reddily wrote:
root:~# openvpn --show-ciphers
<snip>
DESX-CBC 192 bit default key (fixed)
BF-CBC 128 bit default key (variable)
BF-CFB 128 bit default key (variable)
BF-OFB 128 bit default key (variable)
<snip>
Fantastic. That explains a lot.

I guess I can try using AES-256 instead.

Someone should probably remove the BF-256 option from the Gargoyle OpenVPN ciphers dropdown for now.

marvinandro

Post by marvinandro »

pmerrill wrote: [*]Fewer wireless dropouts
My Android devices still have the issue where they get disconnected after a while and would not reconnect until I turn off/on their wireless.
It started to happen with 1.5.6+ and my Galaxy Nexus (flashed several ROMs) and HTC Amaze. I've since added Note 2 and Nexus4 (CM10.1 ATM) and they exhibit the same issue.
I wouldn't say it's a Gargoyle bug but probably on open-wrt one as it happens with vanilla open-wrt and cerowrt, too.
It all works just fine if I go to Gargoyle 1.5.6 or the native Netgear WNDR3700v2 firmware.
As reported before, I still have issues copying large files to the local USB drive. The router would reboot randomly even if the PC I copy to/from is wired to a 100Mbps port.

salavattvb

Post by salavattvb »

How to enable wi-fi on channel 13?

TedEd1

Post by TedEd1 »

salavattvb wrote:How to enable wi-fi on channel 13?
I must say, that this is a well overdue feature that should be baked into each release without having to install a separate plugin.
I understand that different countries have different regulations governing channels above 11, but such decisions should be at the discretion of the end user: The average Gargoyle user is a bit more cluey technology wise than the average out of the box router user.
Just my 2c

Ryo

Post by Ryo »

This has been happening with some of my android devices. I can confirm this on a WNDR3700v1, versions 1.5.10 AND 1.4.2

Interestingly it does not appear happen to an android 2.2.1 device. It happens most often with my Nexus 4, and half as often with my Nexus 7.

The same issue is not present with an e4200 running as an AP running stock firmware.
marvinandro wrote:
My Android devices still have the issue where they get disconnected after a while and would not reconnect until I turn off/on their wireless.
It started to happen with 1.5.6+ and my Galaxy Nexus (flashed several ROMs) and HTC Amaze. I've since added Note 2 and Nexus4 (CM10.1 ATM) and they exhibit the same issue.
I wouldn't say it's a Gargoyle bug but probably on open-wrt one as it happens with vanilla open-wrt and cerowrt, too.

smyr

Post by smyr »

Fantastic update and I LOVE the TOR option!! Its really amazing, awesome!! So easy to go TOR now you dont even think about it. Great! My TP-LINK TL-4300 is now in heaven/paradise!! :D

Sadly however I tried to flash my Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 and I succedded but everytime I logon to the Gargoyle interface the router reboots... :cry: and this goes on all the time. If I leave it and just surf it works but something must have gone really wrong here. I can't even reflash to another firmware, it reboots before I get to that menu!

What should I do?! I can login to failsafe fine but internet is not working... do I switch to tft flashing!? And what should I flash to?? I had hope to use the TOR function for this router also but is it supported?

I want to revert to Tomato firmware but before I do that what should I do now and what firmware should I use to restore the router?!

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks
Marc
Netgear R85000 - Netgear original firmware
Linksys WRT1900ACv2 - Gargoyle 1.11.X
TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
ASUS RT-AC66U - Merlin LTS 374.43_2
Netgear R7000 - Lede/Openwrt 18.06.0

marvinandro

Post by marvinandro »

Ryo wrote:This has been happening with some of my android devices. I can confirm this on a WNDR3700v1, versions 1.5.10 AND 1.4.2

Interestingly it does not appear happen to an android 2.2.1 device. It happens most often with my Nexus 4, and half as often with my Nexus 7.

The same issue is not present with an e4200 running as an AP running stock firmware.
Yes, if I take the device in/out of the WiFi zone - bring it to the far end of the backyard, come closer, step away - 80% of the time the internet will fell like it got stuck, 20% it'll just say "check your internet connection". I don't know which one is more unreliable and annoying - probably worse to see the WiFi arrows blinking up and down, Skype appears to be connected but everyone is offline, no email although I see it on the computer, etc. I've flashed back 1.5.6.

g12345

Post by g12345 »

Ryo wrote:This has been happening with some of my android devices. I can confirm this on a WNDR3700v1, versions 1.5.10 AND 1.4.2

marvinandro wrote:
I am glad I am not the only one having this issue, been happening on my wndr3700v2 for the last couple versions on my Note 2, thought it was my phone maybe and tried a bunch of different ROMs and they all do this, will not auto connect I have to disable / enable wireless then manually connect then its fine until I leave range. Does not happen to any of my other wireless devices including an iPhone 5... Anyone have any ideas on a possible solution?

Also wanted to add this only happens on the 5 GHz radio, if I use the 2.4 it connects just fine, but after a couple hours I loose connectivity. It does not disconnect just stops routing data until I turn off wireless and back on.

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

From my understanding (those who are wiser than I can correct this if I am wrong). The problem does not stem with Gargoyle, nor OpenWRT nor DD-WRT but with the Open Source Atheros Wireless Driver which is found at http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k. This driver is currently at v 3.10-rc1, though I don't know which version the latest version of OpenWRT uses. This wireless problems we are all having are with this driver (to be precise the mac80211 module).

Raising defects with Gargoyle/OpenWRT and DD-WRT are probably not as efficient as raising them in the Linux Wireless site (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ker ... ss.general). Router companies like TP-Link have their own driver software so that's why they don't have the dropout problems that Gargoyle is having.

I suspect that if you want a "better" experience, then you need to pick a router that has a different chipset, perhaps Broadcom, which means choosing a Linksys WRT300n router, or different hardware.

For example, the TP-Link 4300 uses a AR9344 SoC CPU with AR9341 (integrated 2.4ghz) + AR9580 (5ghz) NIC. The combination of these chips and the mac80211 code has dropout problems.

However, the NetGear 3700v2, using the Atheros AR7161 CPU and Atheros AR9223 bgn / Atheros AR9220 an (integrated) NIC may work better with the same release of Gargoyle.

As a suggestion, perhaps the Gargoyle community can create a table of all the hardware it supports with some associated comments about what problems that hardware experiences. It that way, us poor users don't have to troll through all the forum emails looking for know problems and we will also be able to easily see exactly which routers work really well with Gargoyle (i.e., no dropouts) and which don't.
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W