Beta 4 Released

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Beta 4 Released

Post by Eric »

Beta 4 is now available. This is the first release of Gargoyle based on Kamikaze 8.09 instead of 7.09. This means there are many fundamental changes in this version compared to Beta 3.

First, PPPoE should work. Yay!

Second, Fon+ users no longer need a separate firmware image, the default Atheros firmware should work without any modification on both the classic La Fonera and Fon+/Fon2.0. I tested this yesterday on a Fonera 2.0 that one user was kind enough to donate (Thanks Steven!).

One potential downside is that the newer version may consume slightly more memory than the older version. While this should still run well on routers with only 16MB of RAM, it may be best not to enable as many options (e.g. QoS, web usage monitoring, access restrictions, dynamic dns) simultaneously on these routers. I will look into further optimizing memory usage in future releases.

Both the Beta3 and Beta4 firmware images are available for download. I will keep the Beta3 firmware up for some time in case you prefer to stick with the Kamikaze 7.09 version. Please report any and all issues you may have with the new firmware in the forums, or to me via the contact page. Thanks!