Version 1.5.5: OpenVPN

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

grtitan

Re: Version 1.5.5: OpenVPN

Post by grtitan »

Hi Eric,

No, screen stays the same, the animation of the button being pressed shows,but settings or changes don't register or save, but if i press the other button "Reset", it does refresh the screen and it goes back to "OpenVPN Disable"

I tried this using FireFox, Safari and Chrome, in both PC and Mac.

Also, if I'm using the N band of my router, any long downloads will make the connection to be lost, but only when using the N band.

Speed tests comes back ok otherwise, LAN or WiFi.

Wild Rat

Post by Wild Rat »

Eric wrote:No. The problem with this approach is that if you can select the country, someone in a more restrictive country can pretend to be in a less restrictive country. So, by making this user-selectable that means I'm enabling someone to get around country-based restrictions, and might find myself on the wrong side of the law. That's why it can't be user-selectable.
Someone in a more restrictive country who get around country-based restrictions will be on the wrong side of the law. As for now Gargoyle firmvare is for USA residents only?

P.S. TOR illegal in some countries.

My opinion that a change in the firmware is a professional operation, and this alternative firmware - a professional tool. In which user should be able to change the different options in convenient way. Such options as "Noscan" or "Country" (original firmware has this options http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simula ... elpRpm.htm ). And users, who changed this is fully responsible for their actions and consequences.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, I figured out what was going on with OpenVPN not saving anything. The error only gets triggered if there are port forward(s) defined, which is why I was having trouble reproducing it, and didn't catch it initially. There was a bug in the code that was checking to make sure that none of the ports used by port forwards are the same as the port set to be used by the OpenVPN server. The bug is fixed now, and will be included in the next release.

To patch the current release, download this file and then upload it to the router, to /www/js/common.js, replacing the old version of the file.

grtitan

Post by grtitan »

Thanks Eric, will try when i get home.
That's exactly the existing configuration I had the moment i upgraded.

One more question, should i apply that patch using the GUI?

Sorry, just a noob in this and thanks again!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

You will need to upload the file to the router using scp, or on windows PSCP (which is part of the PuTTY suite of programs and which you can download for free.)

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this in the GUI.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

im building a new image

Should be finished in a few hours if you what to go in that direction?

g12345

Post by g12345 »

Eric wrote:Ok, I figured out what was going on with OpenVPN not saving anything. The error only gets triggered if there are port forward(s) defined, which is why I was having trouble reproducing it, and didn't catch it initially. There was a bug in the code that was checking to make sure that none of the ports used by port forwards are the same as the port set to be used by the OpenVPN server. The bug is fixed now, and will be included in the next release.

To patch the current release, download this file and then upload it to the router, to /www/js/common.js, replacing the old version of the file.
You are the man Eric! Thanks so much for your attention to this that totally makes sense as to why I was able to set it up after a fresh reflash, hadn't set up the port forwards yet. Anyway replaced the file in the router over SCP and it works great now! Did notice the new file was over double the size of the old one, must have been a lot of new code, or maybe some extra padding or something? Anyway I am up and running now thanks again.

On another note I did have to do some research (haven't used OpenVPN before) and tweak the client config you provide for use on a Windows 7 laptop. First had to change the extension of the config to .ovpn. Also had to change the paths to the certificates to Windows friendly and also removed the status path not sure if that is needed for anything. Also had to add route command to the config so it would add the static route for me to access my internal LAN. After doing those 3 things works perfect. Not sure if you would have interest in a later build to add client OS specific options to the client config section, would probably help out greatly for the less technical users.

One question I have is that when you save a backup of the router config, is it going to save all the certificates generated as well as the config or do I have to manually back them up / rebuild them when setting back up from scratch again?

Thanks again for all the hard work and a great firmware!

grtitan

Post by grtitan »

That file worked and i was able to change the settings.

however, i was not able to connect to the server using the config file, using osx.

think it had something to do with the locations, but sadly the logs were not helpful.

when i added a second client, the router froze and for what i gather, it bricked.

i was forced to restore the router to the stock firmware.

not sure what happened, but i will stay with the stock firmware until pptp vpn is added as an option,since it looks like is more user friendly than openvpn.

thanks againg for the help.

Trailblazer

Post by Trailblazer »

ispyisail wrote:im building a new image

Is this done? I assume it's a new image with the few fixes listed in this thread? Wow, VPN in Gargoyle. Nice work, Eric. Best firmware, hands down.
Netgear WNDR3700V2 Gargoyle 1.10.0
TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 Gargoyle 1.12

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Trailblazer wrote:
ispyisail wrote:im building a new image

Is this done? I assume it's a new image with the few fixes listed in this thread? Wow, VPN in Gargoyle. Nice work, Eric. Best firmware, hands down.
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=2924

its not an official build ..............