Version 1.5.5: OpenVPN

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Wild Rat

Re: Version 1.5.5: OpenVPN

Post by Wild Rat »

Eric wrote:I'm a bit puzzled regarding the wireless signal issues being reported in this version... I haven't touched the wireless configuration controls or even the OpenWrt revision (version of the wireless drivers) for this build. Therefore it's rather odd that throughput has decreased. I'll see what I can do, but given that nothing has changed there, I'm not sure where to start looking.
victor wrote:how is this possible if before channel 13 worked normally?
When you use Gargoyle locale regulations is set to US

In version 1.5.4 you have this file:
http://depositfiles.com/files/n568csrl1
With this file you may use 1-14 chanels and 35dBm transmittion power for US (and any other country).

In new version 1.5.5 you have this new file:
http://depositfiles.com/files/f69366b5t
With new file you can only use 1-11 chanels and 27dBm for US (wich is default setting in Gargoyle).

All according to this list:
http://depositfiles.com/files/0kir5x00e

Eric wrote:I just realized what's going on with time settings. I'm guessing that the people having problems preserved their config settings when doing the upgrade.

In this case the new busybox ntp client will be looking for a config section that doesn't exist in the old config files. You can either try installing without preserving settings or login to your router via ssh and edit /etc/config/system, and add the following lines to it:

Code: Select all

config timeserver ntp
	        list server     0.pool.ntp.org
	        list server     1.pool.ntp.org
	        list server     2.pool.ntp.org
That should fix the time problems.
After I do this "NTP Servers:" stop reseting to "Custom", but time are still wrong.

marvinandro

Post by marvinandro »

Something's not clean when an upgrade preserves settings. I did a clean flash (went to original firmware, then 30/30/30, back to 1.5.5) and directly to the same settings. Both tor and ntp settings were accepted just fine. I restored my config from pre-1.5.5 and applied it.... both ntp and tor settings cannot be changed anymore.
I'll try to reset and flash clean, then do my basic config manually to see if that'd fix it. running diff/grep in all of the etc, tmp and usr dirs/subdirs shows way too many differences to try to guess which one(s) break it.

victor

Post by victor »

Thanks for fast reply.

I wonder why was necessary to change regulatory binary file? Is this Openwrt project decision or it's Gargoyle?
I will survive with 11th channel but I would like to know if this is now permanent decision that there regulatory will be limited to US?

Cheers

Wild Rat wrote:
Eric wrote:I'm a bit puzzled regarding the wireless signal issues being reported in this version... I haven't touched the wireless configuration controls or even the OpenWrt revision (version of the wireless drivers) for this build. Therefore it's rather odd that throughput has decreased. I'll see what I can do, but given that nothing has changed there, I'm not sure where to start looking.

With this file you may use 1-14 chanels and 35dBm transmittion power for US (and any other country).

With new file you can only use 1-11 chanels and 27dBm for US (wich is default setting in Gargoyle).

Eric wrote:I just realized what's going on with time settings. I'm guessing that the people having problems preserved their config settings when doing the upgrade.

In this case the new busybox ntp client will be looking for a config section that doesn't exist in the old config files. You can either try installing without preserving settings or login to your router via ssh and edit /etc/config/system, and add the following lines to it:

config timeserver ntp
After I do this "NTP Servers:" stop reseting to "Custom", but time are still wrong.

lceron80

Post by lceron80 »

i was having the time issues as others have stated. my solution was to ssh into router and restore to defaults via mtd erase command. fixed my time problems and running without problems for an hour now... hope it helps someone... :D

ps gui seems more responsive now, maybe just me...
1x wndr3700v4 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr3800 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr4300v1 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndrmacv2 exp. 1.9.x

Wild Rat

Post by Wild Rat »

My error

Eric wrote:You can either try installing without preserving settings or login to your router via ssh and edit /etc/config/system, and add the following lines to it:

config timeserver ntp
realy fixes problemm.

Draak

Post by Draak »

Eric: I couldn't put TOR to work myself after restoring settings so I tried that trick with time: I added lines to system file but in the end I had to reflash my WNDR3800 because added lines didn't help. TOR works fine now after reflashing.

lceron80: What command did you use for WNDR3800? I don't want to brick it. Is this fine? mtd -r erase rootfs_data
Gargoyle 1.9.1 on Netgear WNDR3800

lceron80

Post by lceron80 »

yep i used mtd -r erase rootfs_data
1x wndr3700v4 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr3800 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr4300v1 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndrmacv2 exp. 1.9.x

marvinandro

Post by marvinandro »

FYI. After erase and clean flash, then setup from scratch, everything's been up and running for the past few days, including tor and time sync.

One questions: How do I restore the Bandwidth data? My Bandwidth Quotas now have just the last 2 days of data and my rules won't trigger properly if I hit the 300GB/m limit. I have a config backup and the Bandwidth Data CSV file.

TIA, Marv

PS. and if you're kind enough to point me to tor FAQ that covers if I can use it in a way that I just setup a browser pointed to tor as a socks4/5 setting? Or ways to enable a torrent to a headless devices, ie connect from PC1 and tell gargoyle to tor the traffic to multimediabox2?

Dev_BR

Post by Dev_BR »

Dev_BR wrote:

config timeserver ntp
Sorry for my so basic question,

How to do a "config" command ?

in router:/etc/config# I can list system, dhcp, firewall ...
When I type: config timeserver ntp
System reply: -ash: config: not found
Its was a so basic question that even me got solve.
vi editor
ok, for things like this, linux will never be a comertial OS

Dude_Virus

Post by Dude_Virus »

Can the default setting be changed and 35 dhm be used as i have a large house and i need the wireless signals. Also in the ver 1.5.4 i was facing issues with the wan port not getting any signals even when a static ip was provided to the router... the router works on the original netgear firmware ...its a 3700v2.
Wild Rat wrote:

config timeserver ntp