Dynamic DNS Improvements

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Dynamic DNS Improvements

Post by Eric »

The latest release, 1.0.3, has a bunch of improvements for Dynamic DNS. In addition to a more stable update daemon, a much larger number of providers are now supported including tzo.com, freedns.afraid.org, opendns.com and dnsomatic.com. All of these have been tested and confirmed to work properly (as have the four imlemented before -- dyndns.com, no-ip.com, changeip.com and zoneedit.com).

Several other providers (easydns.com, regfish.de) in addition to these have also been added such that they conform to the specifications provided by these services, but have not been fully tested.

There is also a new option in the Connection / Basic Section, to force all hosts on your network to use the router's DNS servers. If you use OpenDNS this should prevent clients from configuring alternate DNS servers to get around the restriction.

Also, the SSL library used by the dynamic dns update daemon (as well as the http server) has changed. Gargoyle now uses cyassl instead of MatrixSSL. This library is only slightly larger, and the code quality is much, much higher. MatrixSSL is an ugly morass of GOTO statements.

Finally... I am narrowing down my search for the atheros ap+client bug. I have posted two versions (one that should work and one that shouldn't) in this thread, and I would appreciate your help in testing these versions (confirming that one works and the other doesn't). As always, any help in testing this is much appreciated!

And one last request: Has anyone (besides the original poster in this thread, NL2009) experienced problems with enabling the web monitor or the option to block mac addresses assigned a static IP from using a different IP (in the connection/dhcp section)? I am trying to figure this problem out, but no matter what I do, I can't replicate the symptoms reported. If anyone else can confirm this issue, it would be very helpful!

ispyisail

Re: Dynamic DNS Improvements

Post by ispyisail »

Finally... I am narrowing down my search for the atheros ap+client bug. I have posted two versions (one that should work and one that shouldn't) in this thread, and I would appreciate your help in testing these versions (confirming that one works and the other doesn't). As always, any help in testing this is much appreciated!
I was going to test but I need .gz file for my meraki

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

.gz kernel files now uploaded. :-)

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I tried both versions and I couldn't get either to work.

I couldn't get them to hold the configuration settings. After saving the router settings the router went back to the default.

Maybe its something I'm doing wrong. If some else gets them to work I'll have another try?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

That's really odd.. I've installed both without problem (except for seeing the ap+client bug in 15465) multiple times, so I have no idea what's going on for you. If you do get it to work (or figure out why it was behaving that way) please let me know.

Also, thanks for trying this, even if it didn't work.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Fonera 2201+

I made sure I did an "fis init -f"

I always fresh type in settings, no loading of old settings.

Loaded up the test 1.0.2 build 15464

Client + AP mode = Working fine here

I have the Airlink 101 Mimo USB wireless RaLink chipset

Client is hooked up via WEP 128bit

AP mode of Fonera is using WPA2-PSK

Running an online movie now and if it does 2 hours of uptime, I'll
load up the 15465 and see if that works or doesn't work.

-------------------------

Edit: 15464 might NOT work...

It worked for about 25 minutes, then dropped connection and wouldn't re-connect.

13707 had a tested uptime of 8 hours +
I didn't test it any longer because I don't use AP + Client mode for my setup.

I'm freshly loading 15465 to see if there is any difference.

-------------------------

Fresh load of 15465 - same steps as above.

This time, only worked for 5 minutes then dropped connection and wouldn't re-connect.

So doesn't look like either 15464 or 15465 might be the solution, maybe a little earlier build but after 13707 which had 8+ hours of uptime.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Hi Eric

There is something wrong, i've now tried 1.0.2 and your test releases

Sometimes they work and other times................................

The problem is the problem does seem consistent.

I suspect its got something to do with wireless signal noise?

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

I think there is something wrong with a buffer somewhere...

When it drops the connection, it's not the AP mode that drops, its actually the Client part.

I.E.

Wireless AP -> Fon 2201+ -> Wireless NIC = My Setup

The dropped connection is between the Fon 2201+ and the Wireless AP
I disabled wireless NIC and re-enabled wired LAN port to the FON.
I could not access internet or anything.

I think the Fon 2201+ -> Wireless NIC part still works, but the FON loses connectivity to the main router.

And because it works for a certain time, then drops and won't connect back unless you power cycle and reboot, it almost seems like there is a buffer overrun or something like that - not sure what.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Let's continue the discussion in the original thread (already too many threads on this topic!)

My reply is here.

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

Just a note to say thanks, I use OpenDNS and the update works perfectly. No longer need their client application on our PCs. :-)