Version 1.5.1 & 1.4.4

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Version 1.5.1 & 1.4.4

Post by Eric »

The latest releases in both the experimental and stable branches now contain newer (hopefully fixed) wireless drivers. Several people have already reported that these releases solve the wireless problems reported in earlier releases, so this problem should be fixed now. If anyone continues to experience issues with wireless connectivity, please post below.

In addition to improved wireless drivers, the latest experimental release contains support for connecting for connecting via 3G using a USB 3G modem. This feature was implemented by user Cezary some time ago, and is finally being included in the official version -- HUGE thanks go out to Cezary for creating this!

Also, the latest experimental release supports sharing printers connected via USB, and anonymizing traffic by running a Tor client. This version of Tor includes patches created by the developers at Access Labs, to run with lower memory requirements, but be aware that Tor still takes up a lot of memory. I've included it only on routers with a USB port, which tend to have more robust specifications. It can be run with 32MB of memory, but 64MB is recommended. Also be aware that Tor, by its nature, is quite slow, but it can anonymize your traffic for you, if used correctly. Note that you should NOT run bittorrent through Tor -- not only does anonymization not work for bittorrent, it can expose your identity in any other traffic you run through Tor.

Finally, there are several dynamic DNS improvements in both the experimental and stable releases. In addition to bug fixes, dyndns.com no longer appears at the top of the list of providers. dyn.com/dyndns.com has pulled a "bait and switch" and has started requiring credit card numbers from new users before providing the DNS service they still advertise as (and previously was) free. They claim that anyone can still have one free hostname... but now require credit card information, so this really isn't "free" as advertised. Therefore, while your existing configurations will still work, I've moved dyndns.com lower on the list of providers to encourage people to use truly free providers and discourage people from using dyn.com. freedns.afraid.org is now at the top.

New in 1.5.1:
  • Increments OpenWrt Backfire version to include latest wireless driver fixes
  • 3G wireless connection now configurable on routers with USB port when a 3G modem is plugged in
  • USB Printer configuration
  • Tor anonymizer configuration for ar71xx routers with memory >= 32MB and >=8MB of flash space (see here for more info on Tor)
  • Implements user defined ping limits to QoS congestion controller
  • 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSIDS displayed seperately on overview page
  • Fixes bug causing dyanmic DNS daemon not to update properly
  • Fixes bug preventing freedns.afraid.org dynamic DNS updates on some platforms
  • Revert to simpler OpenDNS configuration settings, should be less confusing and should work now
  • Set freedns.afraid.org as default dynamic DNS provider (top of list)
  • Add images for Netgear WNDR3800, TP-Link WR740N and MR3420
New in 1.4.4:
  • Increments OpenWrt Backfire version to include latest wireless driver fixes
  • Fixes bug causing dyanmic DNS daemon not to update properly
  • Fixes bug preventing freedns.afraid.org dynamic DNS updates on some platforms
  • Revert to simpler OpenDNS configuration settings, should be less confusing and should work now
  • Set freedns.afraid.org as default dynamic DNS host (top of list)
  • Add images for Netgear WNDR3800, TP-Link WR740N and MR3420

Trailblazer

Re: Version 1.5.1 & 1.4.4

Post by Trailblazer »

First post! Oboy, new bitz...I'll get these on right away. Thanks Eric!
Netgear WNDR3700V2 Gargoyle 1.10.0
TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 Gargoyle 1.12

nebbia88

Post by nebbia88 »

Eric wrote: New in 1.5.1:
[*] Add images for Netgear WNDR3800, TP-Link WR740N and MR3420
can't find them :(

Also WR841ND V7.x will be appreciated, but i think you can use mr3420 image because it should be the same hardware but without the usb port.
can you confirm this?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Oops! I uploaded the images for those routers but forgot to update the script that generates the download links. Should be fixed now.

SebbesApa

Post by SebbesApa »

"3G wireless connection now configurable on routers with USB port when a 3G modem is plugged in"

Can i has dual WAN; 3G and Ethernet? :roll:

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

SebbesApa: No, dual wan is not supported. You can only use one at a time.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

Nice, will upgrade my two routers tomorrow.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

hellbound1988

Post by hellbound1988 »

Updated to 1.5.1 working fine on a TP-link WR 941ND ver 2.2

DNS-O-Matic works again. Thanks a lot eric :)

Opendns updating wont work. I have used Dns-o-matic for opendns updating.

Router seems stable without any issues so far.

asayler

Post by asayler »

Running 1.5.1 on a TL-WR1043ND seems to have any issue with the new Tor settings config page. When I go to the Tor config page, it defaults to enabled on install. When I try to change this setting to disabled, it hangs on the "Applying Settings" dialog. Refreshing the page reverts to the enabled state.

On both 1.5.1 and 1.4.4 on the 1043ND using Google Chrome, every now and then the web interfaces seems to hit rendering errors. Most noticeably is when the background behind the settings pages defaults to the dark blue of the outer frame instead of the lighter blue that it should be. Also, occasionally the frame around the settings pages will disappear. Refreshing the page seems to eliminate the issue. In my limited testing, this issue seems unique to Chrome.

I have not yet tested connectivity or stability. I'll report back if I run into any other issues.

Thanks for the hard work.

-Andy

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

1.5.1 on ubnt RSpro

I've noticed a strange lockup at times. I'm trying to isolate but am unable to repeat at this stage.

From the logread I found this interesting

Code: Select all

Dec  6 17:28:02 Gargoyle daemon.err pppd[13419]: Failed to open /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
Dec  6 17:28:32 Gargoyle daemon.err pppd[13419]: Failed to open /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
Dec  6 17:29:03 Gargoyle daemon.err pppd[13419]: Failed to open /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
Dec  6 17:29:34 Gargoyle daemon.err pppd[13419]: Failed to open /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
Dec  6 17:30:05 Gargoyle daemon.err pppd[13419]: Failed to open /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
Dec  6 17:30:36 Gargoyle daemon.err pppd[13419]: Failed to open /dev/ttyUSB1: No such file or directory
Nothing is plugged into the usb port

Nothing is shared

3g modem has been removed

I suspect Its something to do with the 3g modem that I have been working on?