1.0 Final

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

1.0 Final

Post by Eric »

As promised, Gargoyle v1.0 is here! After one year of development, Gargoyle is officially out of Beta.

Improvements in this release include:
  • Improved Bandwidth Quotas.
  • New Web authentication system
  • New Access Restrictions Implementation
  • Significantly improved stability
  • Major bug fixes in the bandwidth monitor
  • Numerous minor bug fixes
One known issue exists: There is a major bug preventing wireless AP+Client mode from working properly on Atheros devices (e.g. La Fonera, Dir-300). Broadcom devices (e.g. WRT54GL, ASUS WL500GP) are unaffected. This problem exists in the latest releases of OpenWrt (on which Gargoyle is based). I am currently working to resolve this.

Also, from now on, instead of uploading "bleeding edge" firmware, I will increment the third digit of the version every time I make a new firmware upload. All versions X.Y.Z will be unstable/bleeding edge if Z is not zero, while stable versions will be of the form X.Y.0 This will help keep track of which bleeding edge version is running on a given system.

DoesItMatter

Re: 1.0 Final

Post by DoesItMatter »

What are the different versions for Atheros?

gargoyle_1.0.0-atheros-ubnt2-pico2-squashfs.bin
gargoyle_1.0.0-atheros-ubnt2-squashfs.bin
gargoyle_1.0.0-atheros-ubnt5-squashfs.bin

Are these compiled under different systems?

Do they have any performance gain?

Thanks for the 1.0.0! Uploading the default one now!
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Those versions are specifically for ubiquity routers, which require different files from what other atheros routers do. A couple people have requested them in the forums, so I'm just posting them to the download page for this release .

Post by sticky »

Hi
Looking good! Quotas working as expected.
Slight problem with the 'Download bandwidth data' It just produces:
USAGE: bw-stats [OPTIONS] [MONITOR NAMES]
" -h display output in human readable format"
" -m display output in minimalistic format"
" -u print usage and exit"
S

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Oops... :oops:

I fixed the bandwidth data issue before, but somehow forgot to commit/build the fix (which is just one line of code). I just applied it and uploaded new 1.0.0 firmware (for real this time!). I figure a minor one-line fix less than 24 hours after release doesn't deserve a different release number.

beowulf62381

Post by beowulf62381 »

With the release of a stable 1.0, will there be a stable branch added to svn?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

No, at least not yet. This is for 2 reasons:

1) I don't have any radical changes planned that would take the software in a radically different direction -- features that exist in 1.0 will exist in 1.1, though they will be added upon/improved. Branching is most important when a completely new/experimental approach is being taken, and a LOT of things are likely to break.

2) Branch maintenance is hard work, and very tricky to get right. I've had some problems with the OpenWrt "stable" branch -- it seems that the developers are a bit overzealous in committing new patches and it's broken things in the past, and they have a bunch of people working on this, trying to get it right. I am currently the only developer of Gargoyle (though I'm always looking for help... anyone interested? ) and I think my time is better spent (at least for now) working on improving the main trunk than doing branch maintenance.

beowulf62381

Post by beowulf62381 »

Thank you in light of your comments I feel you have made a very well reasoned decision.

I do have a rather Newb question though, What is the purpose of svn TAGs is this simply so we can build on the same revision that that a release was built on?

p.s. Unfortunately I have no codding skills and can barley write a bash script, although your commenting practices make this doable to a degree for me, thank you. With that said, as I become more aqwanted with Gargoyle I would be more than happy to help with other parts of Gargoyle creation such as documentation if it would be useful to you or the community.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The idea of a tag is to build a version of the software exactly as it was when the tag was created. A branch includes fixes for problems that are found after it was created, but only critical fixes and not the new, experimental upgrades. Tags are easy: they're just a snapshot of the the trunk at the time they were created. Branches are hard because you have to maintain them.

Post by sticky »

Eric wrote:Oops... :oops:

I fixed the bandwidth data issue before, but somehow forgot to commit/build the fix (which is just one line of code). I just applied it and uploaded new 1.0.0 firmware (for real this time!). I figure a minor one-line fix less than 24 hours after release doesn't deserve a different release number.
Just a small Q, what format is the date/time in?
Thanks
S