Version 1.4.2

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

qtr

Re: Version 1.4.2

Post by qtr »

I've found out the problem with the 5GHz signal attenuation on my router. My cordless phone base station seating next to the router is operating in the 5GHz and it has the range of 100m, so the poor router is being snuffed by the powerful phone tx.

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Time to get a DECT 6.0 one at 1.8GHz then ;-)

ehren8879

Post by ehren8879 »

My WNDR3700 has suddenly started dropping wireless connections. It's not all wireless connections just one or so. I'll be working on a laptop and all of a sudden it's trying to obtain an IP again and fails to do so until I reboot the router. Meanwhile all other wireless devices are connecting fine. So far two seperate laptops have exhibited this behavior.

I've defaulted the router and set it back up with minimal settings.

Urgje

Post by Urgje »

ehren8879 wrote:My WNDR3700 has suddenly started dropping wireless connections. It's not all wireless connections just one or so. I'll be working on a laptop and all of a sudden it's trying to obtain an IP again and fails to do so until I reboot the router. Meanwhile all other wireless devices are connecting fine. So far two seperate laptops have exhibited this behavior.

I've defaulted the router and set it back up with minimal settings.
Hi,

Could you tell whether it's a version 1 or a version 2 of that WNDR3700? I'm running Gargoyle 1.4.2 on a WNDR3700v2 without any such problems. In fact, I had those problems with the original firmware and that's why I moved to Gargoyle.
Urgje (Netgear WNDR3700v2 / Gargoyle 1.4.7)
[my ego shrank while growing up]

ehren8879

Post by ehren8879 »

It's a version 1. I haven't had time to test it properly since I've reconfigured, but no issues since. I'll report back with results in the future.

Urgje

Post by Urgje »

ehren8879 wrote:It's a version 1. I haven't had time to test it properly since I've reconfigured, but no issues since. I'll report back with results in the future.
Keep us informed and no doubt there will be attempts to help you solve it.
Urgje (Netgear WNDR3700v2 / Gargoyle 1.4.7)
[my ego shrank while growing up]

ehren8879

Post by ehren8879 »

The disconnects persist. When I get dropped I cannot reconnect to the wireless until I reboot the router. However I can immediately connect to the 5GHz side without a problem even before the reboot and it hands me the same ip address.

It's strange that this started happening out of the blue and defaulting the router hasn't helped.

Edit: It looks like other devices on the 2.4 side are falling off throughout t68.he day and not able to reconnect until the reboot. I have a client bridge device with a tivo behind it and it too becomes unresponsive to ping. But not all devices appear to drop at the same time.

Edit #2: I'm investigating the thewory that this might be DNS related... somehow. Just found out today that my ISP's secondary DNS (which I've been using as my primary resolver) has been effectively down for an unknown amount of time. Don't know why this would cause the disconnects, but now that it's fixed, it's something to go by.

Edit #3: Though DNS is now noticeably quicker, it has not helped the problem. I'm now also finding that individual wireless connections may not neccessarily drop, but do lose network connectivity whereas I cannot even ping the router (gateway). This goes on for about a minute or two and connectivity is restored. Furthermore it seems the primary IP address nagotiation issue is most apparent following taking a pc out of standby, but not exclusive to that action. Everything is default at the moment. No wifi security, no port forwards, all very minimal. My next move is to restirct which wireless devices are allowed on the network at a given time. Perhaps one of our smart phones has had a driver update and is causing the problem. We shall see. If not then back to Netgear firmware to test against that.

Edit #4 - Update!
I disabled the wifi on my Droid Incredible 2 and my Ipod touch. So far I havent experienced any disconnects. Since I've been indoors with a cold all weekend, I'd say I tested this thoroughly! I'm going to slowly transition back to the way my network was setup previously before I allow either of these devices back on the wifi. I'll keep everyone posted.

z21

Post by z21 »

I had a constant rebooting problem with 1.4.2 on a WR1043ND that I described in this post: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 8326#p8326

It was fixed by reflashing to 1.4.2 and restoring config but if there's anything else I could have done to document the problem please let me know.

KingViper

Post by KingViper »

ehren8879 wrote:The disconnects persist. When I get dropped I cannot reconnect to the wireless until I reboot the router. However I can immediately connect to the 5GHz side without a problem even before the reboot and it hands me the same ip address.

It's strange that this started happening out of the blue and defaulting the router hasn't helped.

Edit: It looks like other devices on the 2.4 side are falling off throughout t68.he day and not able to reconnect until the reboot. I have a client bridge device with a tivo behind it and it too becomes unresponsive to ping. But not all devices appear to drop at the same time.

Edit #2: I'm investigating the thewory that this might be DNS related... somehow. Just found out today that my ISP's secondary DNS (which I've been using as my primary resolver) has been effectively down for an unknown amount of time. Don't know why this would cause the disconnects, but now that it's fixed, it's something to go by.

Edit #3: Though DNS is now noticeably quicker, it has not helped the problem. I'm now also finding that individual wireless connections may not neccessarily drop, but do lose network connectivity whereas I cannot even ping the router (gateway). This goes on for about a minute or two and connectivity is restored. Furthermore it seems the primary IP address nagotiation issue is most apparent following taking a pc out of standby, but not exclusive to that action. Everything is default at the moment. No wifi security, no port forwards, all very minimal. My next move is to restirct which wireless devices are allowed on the network at a given time. Perhaps one of our smart phones has had a driver update and is causing the problem. We shall see. If not then back to Netgear firmware to test against that.

Edit #4 - Update!
I disabled the wifi on my Droid Incredible 2 and my Ipod touch. So far I havent experienced any disconnects. Since I've been indoors with a cold all weekend, I'd say I tested this thoroughly! I'm going to slowly transition back to the way my network was setup previously before I allow either of these devices back on the wifi. I'll keep everyone posted.
I was experiencing the exact same issue. V1 WNDR3700 with another in client bridge mode and incurring random drops of wireless. Mine wouldn't seem to work unless I rebooted, it never came back after a few mintues. Very hard for me to troubleshoot with 9 different wireless devices including the wireless client bridge. I ended up flashing back to 1.3.16 and haven't had a problem since.