Version 1.3.16 -- Second Release Candidate

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

caeci11ius

Re: Version 1.3.16 -- Second Release Candidate

Post by caeci11ius »

Eric, just got around to installing the new version. Quick issue with the new wireless power settings; these are not just limited by the reg domain, there are also hardware limitations. For example, the WNDR3700 that I have does 27dBm for 20MHz channel 2.4GHz, 22dBm for 40MHz and 23dBm for all 5GHz channels. Using channels 1 and 157, at 20MHz and before installing my custom regdomain (and thus getting US settings) I can set 27dBm (ok) and 30dBm (hardware can't do). If you try to set higher than these values the wireless allows, the wireless driver will fail to start. I'm sure that a lot of other routers can't reach the full legal power output in certain circumstances either, and given Gargoyle doesn't display error messages generated by the driver, folks will get confused about why the settings failed to take...

From the looks of things, you're not checking for separate values when changing between 20 and 40MHz either...

Not sure that LuCi looks for these changes (looking at my other router, it doesn't seem to) either, but the issue is definitely there...

I was looking for a good way to get max hardware power the other week but couldn't find one. If you can't find one either and just want to move the release forward, perhaps moving the default settings from Max to the lesser of 20dBm or the regdomain max would prevent some issues for people who just want to turn their wireless on and have it work...

Edit: Also getting a lot of possible channels disappearing when I change to 40MHz mode (everything other than 36 - 60)...that shouldn't be happening...

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

caeci11ius: Have you actually seen the setting fail because the power was too high? The per-channel maximum is loaded directly from the output of the iw command -- so this SHOULD be accurate. I admit I don't have a wndr3700, but this seems to work just fine on my D-Link DIR825b1.

Also the channel restrictions for the 40MHz channel width for 5GHz are accurate. They are restricted deliberately -- that's not a bug, it's a feature. You CAN specify others, but they don't work properly/aren't legal. As noted above there are several others that are valid in the US, but won't work if the regdomain is set to the EU, and have been added back for now.

sco77

Post by sco77 »

I don't know what is going on but my router is using nearly twice the normal amount of memory (even when more connections are usually active).. No torrent going or anything like that, only connections are the huge swarm of connections that gargoyle web interface uses...

Gargoyle Version:1.3.16
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:55.6MB / 60.5MB (91.9%)
Connections:127/16384
CPU Load Averages:0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00 (1/5/15 minutes)
Uptime:9 days, 13 hours, 38 minutes

Edit: Nevermind seems to be caused by my ipod plugged into the usb port (to charge), disconnected ipod and memory usage dropped down to normal 27MB.. is there a reason for such an increase in memory usage from usb?

qtr

Post by qtr »

I am running Gargoyle 1.3.16 on the WNDR3700 v1. When I setup the wireless section I can't seem to find the option to enable the 5GHz. On the original Netgear firmware I have the option to enable/disable and specify separate encryption passwords for each of them. At the moment only the 2.4GHz LED lit up so I assume only 2.4GHz is running. Could someone please show me what have I missed. Thanks

cybero2912

Post by cybero2912 »

has nobody an advice for my question/problem ?

behappy

Post by behappy »

@cybero2912
Try iw dev wlan0 get power_save to find out it is enabled, disable it for yr reason

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Eric: Yeah, have seen it refuse to take. Might be a bug in the upstream OpenWRT implementation. The router doesn't seem to know what the TX power limits are. Try the command below and see if you get unknown txpower information...

Code: Select all

root@Gargoyle:/# iwlist txpower
lo        no transmit-power information.

eth0      no transmit-power information.

eth1      no transmit-power information.

imq0      no transmit-power information.

imq1      no transmit-power information.

br-lan    no transmit-power information.

wlan0     unknown transmit-power information.

Current Tx-Power=20 dBm  	(100 mW)

mon.wlan0  unknown transmit-power information.

wlan1     unknown transmit-power information.

mon.wlan1  unknown transmit-power information.

pppoe-wan  no transmit-power information.

wlan1.sta1  unknown transmit-power information.

Also, is there any reason we can't get option 'wds' '1' enabled on both radios when we turn WDS on? As far as I can tell, this wouldn't hurt people who want to use WDS on the 2.4 GHz radio, and would help people like me who use it on the 5GHz. In the end, ideally there would then be an option to pick which radio you wanted to WDS on in the WDS station mode, but for the time being just setting it on both radios would be helpful.

Oh, and an option to set the regulatory domain would also be helpful. If both those things were in, I wouldn't have to edit the files manually any more ;-)...

damkov

Post by damkov »

On wr1043nd it seems ok:

root@wr1043nd:~# iwlist txpower
lo        no transmit-power information.

eth0      no transmit-power information.

eth0.1    no transmit-power information.

eth0.2    no transmit-power information.

br-lan    no transmit-power information.

wlan0     unknown transmit-power information.

Current Tx-Power=27 dBm       (501 mW)

mon.wlan0  unknown transmit-power information.

Current Tx-Power=27 dBm       (501 mW)

pppoe-wan  no transmit-power information.

imq0      no transmit-power information.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

caeci11ius: What's the output not of iwlist, but iw -- that's where the information is loaded from. Run "iw phy0 info" and "iw phy1 info"

Also can you specify the exact configuration that won't work? I'd like to try to replicate it.

doritos

Post by doritos »

Hi Guys,

After some time running 1.3.16 I've found some errors/warnings

ERROR: Bandwidth query failed, make sure rule with specified id exists, and that you are performing only one query at a time.

After some timer running and configuration changes, the Bandwidth Usage graphics stopped to work. I opened Firebug and here is the broken request/response:

Request:
POST load_bandwidth.sh

Response:
ERROR: Bandwidth query failed, make sure rule with specified id exists, and that you are performing only one query at a time.

Another problem:

root@WR1043ND:~# /etc/init.d/firewall restart
Loading defaults
Loading synflood protection
Adding custom chains
Loading zones
Loading forwardings
Loading redirects
Loading rules
Loading includes
Using intrapositioned negation (`--option ! this`) is deprecated in favor of extrapositioned (`! --option this`).
Bad argument `iptables'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
Optimizing conntrack
Loading interfaces
It seems the /usr/lib/gargoyle_firewall_util/gargoyle_firewall_util.sh is causing the problem.

If you need more details/configuration backup, please inform an email and I'll send