Version 1.3.16 -- Second Release Candidate

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

DoesItMatter

Re: Version 1.3.16 -- Second Release Candidate

Post by DoesItMatter »

cybero2912 wrote:Idle timeout problem/question:

I am using latest (same problem with previous versions) Gargoyle on a F*nera (FON2100A) in client bridge mode.
After a while when nothing is send or received from or to client behind, the F*nera drops connection and I cannot reach Webif anymore.
when I run a permanent ping - when this situation occurs - to the F*nera and device behind it, after a short while while I get responses form F*onera and client and am able to access GUI or SSH again.

Is it possible to avoid this connection loss after longer time idle?

Regards Robert
You are running out of RAM - I would bet $$ on it and I don't bet!

Stick with Gargoyle 1.2.5 on the Fon 2100/2200/2201+

You only have 16MB ram - barely enough to run 1.2.5 well.

The 1.3.x series takes much more RAM - you need 32MB minimum.

Flash 1.2.5 and stick with that, or get another router with more RAM
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

AF35

Post by AF35 »

hey guys I was wondering since now we have channel limitations such as the 40MHz channel width. is it possible to add wi_viz function similar to DD-WRT into Gargoyle for user to be able to scan the network to find the best channel?

Cheers :)

b_one

Post by b_one »

@AF35
it could be nice feature...

demetris

Post by demetris »

DoesItMatter wrote:

I am using latest (same problem with previous versions) Gargoyle on a F*nera (FON2100A) in client bridge mode.
After a while when nothing is send or received from or to client behind, the F*nera drops connection and I cannot reach Webif anymore.
when I run a permanent ping - when this situation occurs - to the F*nera and device behind it, after a short while while I get responses form F*onera and client and am able to access GUI or SSH again.

Regards Robert

Does this limitation occurs on the openwrt rc5 also? or is a gargoyle issue only?

cybero2912

Post by cybero2912 »

DoesItMatter wrote:

Regards Robert

I don't think it is a issue with the RAM...
the AP is only client bridge with only one client behind which is a cable receiver...
and why should pinging the F*nera should free RAM ?
issue also only occurs when no traffic from client for a longer time

maybe problem is with main AP to where the F*onera connects
maybe this AP drops connection when no traffic is coming from F*onera for a longer time
nevermind...
if there is nothing in gargoyle which could be fixed or setup from my side...
whole story is not that important/dramatic for me ;)
Last edited by cybero2912 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Hey Eric, sorry i've taken a while to get back to you. Since I had that problem I've flashed the router and back in order to try to solve another problem I had (patching upstream OpenWRT). Can't seem to replicate my wireless not starting issue anymore...seems to be working fine. Odd, but even putting back the stock release version doesn't seem to bring it back. Must have been doing something odd, or just needed a restart or something...will let you know if it happens again.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

doritos: I've been unable to reproduce the error you describe with the bandwidth monitor, despite setting many quota/restriction rules. Could you elaborate a little bit on your setup?

Also, you say you are running /etc/init.d/firewall restart directly. Don't do that. That WILL kill the bandwidth monitor, and result in the behavior you describe. You need to run "sh /usr/lib/gargoyle/restart_firewall.sh" to restart the firewall in such a way that all the gargoyle additions get handled properly (this is what the gargoyle interface calls to restart the firewall).

I also tried to reproduce the error you see in the command line output when running /etc/init.d/firewall restart, but haven't gotten it to show up. Any information you could provide that would help me reproduce this would be appreciated.

doritos

Post by doritos »

Eric,

My setup is quite simple. QoS enabled both for upload and download, a single Quota for upload (throttling bandwidth after some traffic). May I send you my backup.tar.gz?

It's ok about the firewall restart, most likely it's causing the chart's issues

trinode

Post by trinode »

Is there any chance that you could separate out the channel width options? I notice you've done that for the power settings.

I now live in a crowded area for 2.4 GHz, but I've a couple of devices that only do 2.4GHz so I need to use it, but would like to only use 20 MHz channel width.
There's noone else in the area using 5 GHz, so I'd like to use 40 MHz on that.

This would be really useful, and would allow me to get the Gargoyled WNDR3700 back out :D

- Anthony

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

doritos: please DO send me the backup file. Send it to eric@gargoyle-router.com.