New Authentication System & Bug Fixes

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

New Authentication System & Bug Fixes

Post by Eric »

The latest bleeding edge firmware now includes a new cookie-based authentication system instead of the old basic http authentication. This should make the system more secure by allowing you to logout properly, allowing session time-outs if you are inactive for a while, and by preventing against XSRF attacks.

The problems with the access restriction section and the quota section noted in the Beta 5 release have also been corrected in the latest firmware. Several bugs have also been fixed in the web monitor, the custom DNS settings and the WDS bridge settings.

If you've experienced problems with any of these things, you may want to consider upgrading now.

FRiC

Re: New Authentication System & Bug Fixes

Post by FRiC »

How long is the session time-out? And is there any way to not make it time out if I'm editing something? I notice that if I spend too much time editing something and the session times out, the page that I'm on still appears to work and clicking save shows the spinning thing but returns instantly and the save fails (no indication that it failed though), and the re-login page if I switch to another page.

Post by sticky »

Hi
I have just upgraded to the new bleeding edge version and have had problems reloading my backed up configuration. It just says its loading it but never finishes. Anyone had this problem.
S

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

I am liking the bleeding edge build!

On my Fon 2201+, I'm 8 days uptime and still plenty of free memory.

I usually had to keep rebooting with DD-WRT loaded.

Very nice work!
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

sticky wrote:Hi
I have just upgraded to the new bleeding edge version and have had problems reloading my backed up configuration. It just says its loading it but never finishes. Anyone had this problem.
S

I have the same problem had to reconfigure from begining.

Dan

Post by Dan »

It is often mentioned in DDWRT and Sveasoft forums that attempting to reload config files after upgrading firmware to newer versions can lead to problems.
It is a bad policy if you wish to avoid problems.
Using config files ACROSS different router types with the same version of firmware is a complete no-no. Bricked routers arrive. My experience from accidentally trying to load backup config files from a WRT54gs v1.1 to a WRT54GL.

I found by trial/accident (using DDWRT) that if I had a router page with a lot of data/ MAC addresses etc. I could load that data directly into the new router firmware across models and firmware provided the page was/looked the same and the routers had the same IP address, password and (perhaps) name.

This need me to:-

(1) Go through each wanted page using my browser

(2) Switch the lan cable to the router from old to new

(3) Go through each page and save to the new router.

Not tried it with Gargoyle yet as my config is simple as yet.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Actually this is a bug not a compatibility issue. It looks like both restore and upgrade pages got broken by my new login system.

However, this should be fixed now. New bleeding edge firmware has been uploaded.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

Dan wrote:It is often mentioned in DDWRT and Sveasoft forums that attempting to reload config files after upgrading firmware to newer versions can lead to problems.
Many of those firmware directly store the NVRAM variables, or make a snapshot of the firmware. It's less of a problem with OpenWrt based firmwares...