Version 1.13.0 : Based on OpenWrt 19.07.8

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: Version 1.13.0 : Based on OpenWrt 19.07.8

Post by Lantis »

sigwx wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:43 pm
Has there been a change in how to setup a pi-hole to work with 1.13? With 1.12 I'd add a line of
list dhcp_option '6,<pi-hole ip>'

to the /etc/config/dhcp and I was good, but currently its looking like something is different as none of the local domain names are getting found when talking to the pi-hole.

From the pi-hole logs I see its asking gargoyle, but gargoyle is replying with a NXDOMAIN, which it wasn't with 1.12, so I'm thinking/hoping there is something different in 1.13 with how to configure things for a pi-hole.

Thanks!
Should be exactly the same.
I'm wondering if rebind protection is kicking in?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Satbeginner

Post by Satbeginner »

Hello All,

I am new here, my name is Leo, I am a retired Dutch electronic engineer, now living in Spain.

I just installed Gargoyle version 1.13.X (Built 20220115-0541 git@54463e40) on my -new to me- WRT3200ACM.

I have a WRT1900ACS (V2) running DD-WRT, but wanted its faster version, so I bought the WRT3200ACM.

I tried to install DD-WRT, also tried OpenWRT on the WRT3200ACM, but both had serious problems using and configuring WiFi.

I never heard of Gargoyle (my bad!) but my best friend Google led me to you :D

I am happy to say I really love it!
Installing was super easy, I really love the user interface, and by the looks of it, it just works!

I found one little thing: I have a hobby weather station, a Ventus W830, and that uses 2.4GHz WiFi to upload its data to sites like Wunderground and WeatherCloud.

Where all my devices could connect to the 2.4GHz, I had difficulties connecting the Ventus Console to the new WiFi.

After many tries, I found it had to do with the Encryption and the Password.

I still haven't found a real solution, but I enabled a 2.4GHz Guests network with no Encryption, so I was able to connect the weatherstation.

I am still looking if there are settings with respect to the Encryption type I can change, but for now the router is running fine.

Many thanks for your work, I am really happy to see my Linksys WRT3200ACM can have a longer useful life.

Stay safe,

Leo

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

Lantis wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:22 am
sigwx wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:43 pm
Has there been a change in how to setup a pi-hole to work with 1.13? With 1.12 I'd add a line of
list dhcp_option '6,<pi-hole ip>'

to the /etc/config/dhcp and I was good, but currently its looking like something is different as none of the local domain names are getting found when talking to the pi-hole.

From the pi-hole logs I see its asking gargoyle, but gargoyle is replying with a NXDOMAIN, which it wasn't with 1.12, so I'm thinking/hoping there is something different in 1.13 with how to configure things for a pi-hole.

Thanks!
Should be exactly the same.
I'm wondering if rebind protection is kicking in?
I think what might be happening is that for some clients, they don't re-request from the DHCP server unless the reservation times out or the client reboots, ie they don't re-register when the router reboots. For those clients, since they haven't re-registered after the router rebooted they don't show up in gargoyle's dns server even though they are given static IP address, since gargoyle hasn't had them re-register their DHCP reservation.

Not sure if this was the same on 1.12 since it used /etc/hosts and it dns may have always reported addresses for entries defined in /etc/hosts ?

Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo »

Lantis wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:06 am
As your device will me migrating from ar71xx to ath79, it may require special intervention to upgrade.
I'd recommend running the upgrade on the command line and seeing what it has to say.
Copy the sysupgrade file onto the router into /tmp/
sysupgrade -v -n /tmp/nameoffile.bin

It should tell you if a factory image is required.
---Please see the original message from Lantis---
Hello. I´m returning to share that I succesfully did the upgrade from 1.12.0 to 1.13.0 in my TP-Link TL-WDR4300 v1 following the steps shared by Lantis, as is written in the quoted message. My router is working without any issue since the upgrade. Thanks again Lantis for your support.

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

Has anyone tried this on a MyNet750? Install went well, things were working, but after a power cycle the power light just blinks and it doesn't boot.

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

sigwx wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:01 pm
Has anyone tried this on a MyNet750? Install went well, things were working, but after a power cycle the power light just blinks and it doesn't boot.
Ended up in Emergency Mode, re-installed 1.13 again using sysupgrade package, and its been fine since.

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

Looking for guidance on setting up Client+AP mode for wireless gateway, and having a couple issues/questions.

The network I want to join has a password, and I can enter it on the setup page, but each time I save settings, leave, and come back, the Encryption is reset to None and then of course the password is blank and it can no longer connect.
Known issue? Old issue? I was going to install 1.12 to see if it behaves the same.

I'd like to use the 5GHz for the network-to-join gateway connection (which I can select) and the 2.4GHz for the LAN clients, but there doesn't appear to be a way to disable the 5GHz for the AP when using the 5GHz to connect the gateway. Is there a way to do this from the GUI?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Never seen your resetting issue. I’d suggest clearing your cache and trying again.

From the GUI you can’t disable the AP on the same band as the upstream.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

OMG, this is actually happened!
Thanks a lot!
I'm going to install the 1.13 onto my WRT-AC1200.

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

could you please add Gl.iNet GL-AR300Mxx support? the target is already supported by Gargoyle.