Beta 5

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Beta 5

Post by Eric »

As promised, Beta5 is now available in the downloads section.

This is, by far, the best, most stable release to date. The improvements in Beta5 over Beta4 are as dramatic as Beta4 compared to Beta1. These include:
  • Wireless bridging
  • Scan for WiFi Networks
  • View connected wireless hosts / active dhcp leases
  • Access Restriction White-listing
  • Option to restore default configuration settings
  • Improved GUI
  • Massive numbers of bug fixes
One known issue exists: There may be a problem with the scheduling of access restrictions. If you have any access restrictions that are not active all day, every day, some of the other restrictions may become deactivated when they shouldn't be. I am actively working to fix this as soon as possible.

FRiC

Re: Beta 5

Post by FRiC »

Thanks!! :D

fosk

Post by fosk »

I'll test this relase soon... thank you.

leon-xvii

Post by leon-xvii »

Thanks !

mika480

Post by mika480 »

Testing....enjoying...using this release!
It works great as AP...fast & stable!
Really a good work
Mika from Italy
:D

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Loaded this up on my Fon 2201+

Working very Nicely!

This used to have DD-WRT latest test release on it, but I always thought
it seemed a little sluggish and had too much for the unit.

Working great with the Beta 5!

Seems snappy and wireless performance is very good.

Any way to see a Hardware Status page?
Like hardware chip info / speed / more memory statistics?

Reason I ask is that I had overclocked my Fon to 200mhz when it was
running DD-WRT, and I think the overclock is still active, but not sure.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

qwasty

Post by qwasty »

The fields are empty for connected hosts, DHCP leases, etc, on my WRT54G, even when I've got a couple of PC's connected to it.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The reason you see no dhcp leases is probably that your computers already have leases (from the previous router/firmware). These will be released and renewed with your current firmware in a day or so, or when you reboot the connected computers.

Active connections merely refers to connections that currently have data flowing between the computer and the internet. You may have computers connected to the router, but if those computers are not actively transferring data to/from the internet you won't see any active connections.

qwasty

Post by qwasty »

The fields were still empty even after fresh reboots of several computers. I have several of them without monitors, keyboards, or mice attached. I access those computers using TightVNC, but I need to know their IP first, and having them show up in the router's list is the best way I can think of to get the IP. Not a single one ever showed up in the list. I had to either attach a monitor, or guess their IP addresses, in order to get connected to them.

I had the same result for both actual computers, and VMWare virtual machines. None of them showed up in the router. I tried a total of 4 different computers, with several reboot cycles. Still nothing.

I don't have the network up because of this problem, so I'm going from memory: I've forgotten the name of the router screen I'm thinking of here, but I think it's called "network traffic" or something like that. Anyway, the computers showed up there when they were communicating mostly UDP packets, if I remember correctly, and so I found a 3rd way to get the IP besides guessing or attaching a monitor, but they didn't always show up there right at the moment I wanted them to.

The only quirk of this system is that the network was not connected to the internet. Could there be a bug related to that? One more thing I noticed that was strange was that the IP of the first computer attached to the router was much higher than I expected. After much guessing and screwing around with monitors, I found the IP to be 192.168.1.107 instead of the 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.102 that I expected. I can't think of why that would be, unless the router is giving IP's nonsequentially, beginning with the 192.168.1.100 range. I couldn't find any setting to adjust that.

Also, it'd be convenient for me to be able to set a static IP for each PC, but if I do that, windows XP insists on having me set a static DNS also. Is there a way around that, where I can set each computer to my favorite easy to memorize IP addresses, but let DHCP tell them what DNS server to use? Do you have any suggestions on how to go about that?

I can also suggest that you include a brief description of each screen with helpful info like what you just wrote about the active connections list. That would be a nice little extra. You could just stuff it at the bottom for now, if you want, so it'd only take a few minutes to add, hopefully.