Version 1.12.0 : New stable version

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

jeremycobert

Re: Version 1.12.0 : New stable version

Post by jeremycobert »

Lantis wrote:Or plug in a usb stick for additional plugin space.
Boom ! I forgot about adding a usb stick. threw in a 16GB and we are back in business. T
Lantis wrote:Your router is getting a little old, but I wouldn't replace it just yet unless you've also hit the bandwidth ceiling on it.
She's old, but she's got it where it counts ! I use the router for Gargoyle and turn off the wireless and use an Orbi mesh in AP mode. I really get the best of both worlds that way and so far have not had any speed issues with the hardware side of the router.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

foxyboy wrote:Worked perfectly upgrading WRT1200AC v1 with Gargoyle 1.11.X (Built 20180818). I didnt attempt to preserve settings.

I have encounted a space issue with my other router acting as an AP - TP-Link WR1043ND v2.1 with Gargoyle 1.10.
I had a backup 3TB drive on this and now it looks like i cannot
have this attached as i nned a usb drive to install additional 'shared storage' plugin ?
I guess i will have to go back to 1.10 or will iget away with 1.11 ?
If you repetition your external drive so that you have a little bit of space for Gargoyle plugins, and the rest is your share drive, this configuration should work.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

I don't think this is new, but after adding a host in the Static DHCP table, the table sorting is disabled. So its not possible to add a host, sort it by IP, and save the result.

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

Also, again, adding a static DHCP entry, with the flat-blue theme, the dialog comes up white, so its somewhat difficult to enter the data :-) I'm using the latest version of Chrome

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

Performace-wise, 1.12.0 is great. With my Linksys WRT1900ACS I'm able to keep up with my provider's 500 mbps download speed without a problem (per a speed test run over ethernet)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

sigwx wrote:Also, again, adding a static DHCP entry, with the flat-blue theme, the dialog comes up white, so its somewhat difficult to enter the data :-) I'm using the latest version of Chrome
I'll check Flat-Blue. Dialogs are relatively new so some themes may not be respecting them properly.

As for the sort issue... I'll look but that's low priority. It is quicker and simpler to just run a sort on the file internally if you're stuck ;)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I don't want to assume anything, so I thought I'd ask, but based on a few previous reports above, and these lines in particular:
-Fix IMQ crashes in Kernel 4.14 leading to loss of NAT/connectivity
-Fix guest networking on mvebu devices with 88W8964 chips (guest network was not routing packets)
Are the incompatibilities alluded to in places like here...
viewtopic.php?t=11848

...a thing of the past for the WRT1200AC / WRT1900ACS / WRT3200ACM / WRT32X family?

And if so, was it more an OpenWRT thing or Gargoyle thing?

Thanks

Update: Good reference thread with a workaround or two:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12018
Last edited by rseiler on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

rseiler wrote:I don't want to assume anything, so I thought I'd ask, but based on a few previous reports above, and these lines in particular:
-Fix IMQ crashes in Kernel 4.14 leading to loss of NAT/connectivity
-Fix guest networking on mvebu devices with 88W8964 chips (guest network was not routing packets)
Are the incompatibilities alluded to in places like here...
viewtopic.php?t=11848

...a thing of the past for the WRT1200AC / WRT1900ACS / WRT3200ACM / WRT32X family?

And if so, was it more an OpenWRT thing or Gargoyle thing?

Thanks
No, the problems with IoT devices, specifically the ESP devices are not resolved and it's a Marvell thing not an OpenWrt or Gargoyle thing. Development on that Wi-Fi driver is now frozen and is unlikely to improve ever.
They are still great routers, if you understand the limitation and don't need to use those features.

By the way, moving forward WPA3 probably won't work properly on those devices either. I haven't tested it myself, but it's not looking good.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Upgraded my WRT1200ac preserving settings.
Couldn't understand why my FTP transfers were slow although streaming Amazon movies was fine.
Did a speed test to find my up and download speeds were way down from the normal 38/8 to 8/2.
Checked my router settings, to find my QOS was enabled. I disabled QOS and rechecked to find up and download speeds were more or less returned to normal.
I'm reasonably sure that QOS was not enabled before I upgraded, so is the QOS default enabled now or what?
Or is all this a red herring?
:?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

There was a bug which caused QoS to self enable every sysupgrade. This has been fixed, but by preserving settings you've carried it across the upgrade with you.

It's harmless, just annoying.

Some additional work could be done in this area for belts and braces, but it's pretty low priority for me personally.

I'm not saying that preserving settings was bad by the way, just in this very specific case, it undoes the fix i put in. Which probably says more about my fix than anything else ;)