Version 1.3.12

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Culex

Re: Version 1.3.12

Post by Culex »

I upgraded from the Stable version and it bricked my router, wrt54gl. corrupted the bootloader. luckily I was able to tftp the linksys firmware, put dd-wrt and then install 1.3.12. I do see the rebooting problem every few hours, and torrenting seems to stop anyone else from using the internet which didn't do that before. I've disabled bwmon and will see how it goes.

http://speedtest.net/result/1211971061.png
---
If I click save in the Basic Device Configuration the router takes a huge dump on all the processes and requires a power cycle. Let me know if you need the full log.
Mar 23 01:50:56 Gargoyle user.info kernel: br-lan: port 1(eth0.0) entering forwarding state
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: Kernel bug detected[#1]:
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.alert kernel: CPU 0 Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000098, epc == 80091244, ra == 800915b8
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: Oops[#2]:
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: Tainted: G D
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: Status: 1000b803 KERNEL EXL IE
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: Cause : 00800008
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: BadVA : 00000098
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: PrId : 00029008 (Broadcom BCM3302)
Mar 23 01:50:58 Gargoyle user.warn kernel: Unhandled kernel unaligned access[#3]:
I had 'top' running in another window, it reported
top: can't open 'meminfo': No such file or directoryoyle -c cgi-bin/**|**.sh|**
it may help to have some of the syslog written to a file to survive reboots/crashes for debugging purposes as an option if possible...
Last edited by Culex on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Domino_55

Post by Domino_55 »

- on QoS pages I can write only one port to the source and destination port(s), but the name of captions are port(s). It's working very well on the Restrictions page. I can add more ports separated with comma.
And I have a feature request. Please implement the possibility of enter an IP range on the QoS pages.

- on a configured x86 platform if I would like to reboot the machine, it doesn't reboot, or if it's reboot, only ~5-10 minutes after than I executed the reboot command from command line or from GUI. It's not affected with the same revision of OpenWRT.

- and the Restrictions page. If I would like to save and apply the changes, becomes random reboots. It's probably reproducible with helps the attached image: http://img155.imageshack.us/i/rebooty.jpg/

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I've caught not one, but two more bugs in the firewall system this week. Both were severe enough that independently of each other each one can cause the rebooting problem observed by several people here, though only under very precise circumstances. The odd thing is that these issues weren't introduced with the new bandwidth module implementation -- they've always been there. I have no idea why they popped up now, vs much earlier. In addition, I caught another, third bug too, but that one couldn't cause a reboot -- just some quirks with some restriction features. I think I've fixed the problem this time, but this thing seems to be the bug that keeps on giving... (me gray hair).

I've also bumped the underlying version of OpenWrt, which as several people pointed out, was getting somewhat far behind. This should allow building of WNDR3700v2 images as a couple people have requested (though I don't have one of these to test on). With this, comes inclusion of the new v2 OpenWrt firewall system, which seems to be working now (there were some problems on this before). However, it should be noted that this is another potential source of issues, which makes me somewhat nervous. (Don't get me started on what I think of the OpenWrt developers for adding a completely new and relatively untested firewall implementation to a stable branch... complete lunacy.)

Before the next release I still want to take a look at some installation problems on Broadcom routers and see if I can get TP-Link WR941ND routers (which have a weird switch configuration) working properly. However, if someone could build from source and help test the current bug-fixes that would be really great -- these problems with the firewall have been a real pain to debug.

Also, if someone wants to help out in testing post your router model below and I can upload an image for you to test on. I'm reluctant to do a full release just yet as (1) there are enough router models that all the images take up a large amount of space and (2) I really would like to add a few more features first.

Markuz Nightwind

Post by Markuz Nightwind »

Can test on tp-link 1043nd but I guess you already have one :(

gogubeb

Post by gogubeb »

I can test on wrt160nl.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Here are some images for some of the more popular AR71XX routers. I'm only including sysupgrade images to save space and since if you have a factory-fresh router you can just install the version in the download section and then upgrade directly from that.

TP-Link WR1043ND

TP-Link WR741ND

Linksys WRT160NL

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

I have all but one of these routers myself, but I would appreciate all the help testing I can get. I'm not so much interested in differences that might appear in different models, but merely the experience of a lot of different people/different configurations. This bug seems/seemed to be very intermittent, and the more people testing this the more likely someone will pick up something wrong if it goes wrong only rarely.

ng3700v2

Post by ng3700v2 »

Eric,
If you could post an image for the Netgear WNDR3700v2, I would be more than happy to test for you. Thanks!

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Eric wrote:Here are some images for some of the more popular AR71XX routers. I'm only including sysupgrade images to save space and since if you have a factory-fresh router you can just install the version in the download section and then upgrade directly from that.

TP-Link WR1043ND

TP-Link WR741ND

Linksys WRT160NL

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

I have all but one of these routers myself, but I would appreciate all the help testing I can get. I'm not so much interested in differences that might appear in different models, but merely the experience of a lot of different people/different configurations. This bug seems/seemed to be very intermittent, and the more people testing this the more likely someone will pick up something wrong if it goes wrong only rarely.
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH - reboot test

Something is wrong with the Bandwidth Usage section.

IE 8 shows error on page

Google Chrome has the error page notice - won't even show.

IE 9 - works - but nothing shows on Bandwidth Usage
No data is graphed, its blank - just keeps moving, but blank.

----------------------------

Eric - I have a pretty good download speed, and I have the
following 2 linux test systems to try compiling

1) Fedora 14 - 32-bit Linux distro - latest updates

2) Ubuntu 10.10 - 64-bit Linux distro - latest updates

I sort of understand the development section under the
Documentation and can try and do some compiling over the
weekend - but which OS should I use? Will the Gargoyle images
compile on a 32-bit or does it have to be the 64-bit Ubuntu?
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

gogubeb

Post by gogubeb »

I have no problem with wrt160nl.
With mozilla firefox Bandwidth Usage is working ok. In IE8 it doesn't show.
My router was rebooting after 5 sec only when i changed the dhcp options.
Now with this test-firmware it doesn't reboot when i made changes to dhcp.

othelo

Post by othelo »

Upgrade my TL-WR1043ND firmware with "1.3.12 - reboot test" version. So far so good, no more reboot problem :)

Thank you for great works !