Version 1.3.12

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Version 1.3.12

Post by Eric »

Some people have reported rebooting problems when saving configuration changes in version 1.3.11. This bug should be fixed in 1.3.12, but if you continue to experience this problem, please report it right away.

New in 1.3.12:
  • Fixes router rebooting bug introduced in 1.3.11

Mitar

Re: Version 1.3.12

Post by Mitar »

it's still rebooting :cry:
on 1.3.11 it was rebooting every 2 changes in qos , now it reboots every single change :/
network basic settings - reboot , static dhcp - reboot ...
Sorry I don't have too much time for testing as I need stable router.

Domino_55

Post by Domino_55 »

It's same on my x86 PC...

MathGuy42

Post by MathGuy42 »

I had to use the mtd write method to upgrade 1.3.11 -> 1.3.12, just I had had to for 10 -> 11. Upgrading via web interface or sysupgrade did not work. I have a WRT54GL, v 1.1.

I don't think I ever faced the rebooting issue, though my router did unexpectedly reboot once a few days ago while a large download was coming through.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, I'll keep looking for something else that could cause this -- but I'm quite puzzled. I managed to get my router to do something like this once with 1.3.11, so I figured it was just really intermittent. Then I found a problem that, under some circumstances, could lead to a router to reboot, and I fixed that. What is really strange to me is why some people are seeing this constantly and it's very rare/intermittent for me if I see it at all.

Mitar

Post by Mitar »

Domino_55 wrote:It's same on my x86 PC...
bit offtopic but on PC I would rather use IPFire, Gargoyle is mainly for normal routers.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Eric,

Is there some way to enable logging on the routers?

If there's a way to enable logging, I can enable it on
my WZR-HP-G300NH's and try and make it crash/reboot

I can telnet / SSH / Win SCP into my routers no problem so
should be able to get any kind of data you need.

Only thing I might need from the people having issues, is what they
are trying to setup and what type of configs?
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Domino_55

Post by Domino_55 »

Mitar wrote:
Domino_55 wrote:It's same on my x86 PC...
bit offtopic but on PC I would rather use IPFire, Gargoyle is mainly for normal routers.
Yeah, thanks. IPFire is very useful but I have only 64 MB of RAM in my router PC, and it's not enough for IPFire.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

DoesItMatter: I don't think logging will help much. It's going to crash or it's not -- anything I can think of that would make this happen isn't going to leave much trace in the logs. What I really need is to be able to reproduce the problem reliably, which has so far proved difficult.

Based on the comment of Domino_55 above I will try on my (x86) alix box -- maybe that will get it to crash more reliably. Once I've got it crashing reliably, I can more easily add debug statements to /comment out the parts of the code that I am suspicious of and start narrowing down possibilities. However, until I have a valid test for this, it's going to continue to be really hard to debug.

I'm reasonably certain the problem lies in the bandwidth module and that restarting the firewall (which often happens when saving config settings) restarts the bandwidth monitor which triggers this bug. I thought I'd found and fixed the bug in the bandwidth monitor, but I guess not....

What would be helpful is for anyone who can reliably reproduce this to just completely wipe out the bandwidth monitor, e.g. rm -rf /etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle, and then rebooot, and see if that gets rid of the issue. Even knowing for SURE that it's a bandwidth monitor problem (which I HIGHLY suspect) would be very helpful.

victorhooi

Post by victorhooi »

Hi,

This is on a WRT54G, with Gargoyle 1.3.12.

For me, the router seems to restoring itself to default settings.

(i.e. it'll keep forgetting it's settings, and I have to keep configuring it again, from the first-time wizard to set password/timezone etc.). Is anybody else getting this?

Cheers,
Victor