Version 1.11.0 : Based on OpenWrt 18.06

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: Version 1.11.0 : Based on OpenWrt 18.06

Post by Lantis »

Daeron wrote:Thanks for all the responses!

I realize the device is fairly weak by now, but probably will still be adequate for my needs for some time. I just wasn't sure if 1.11 is expected to have a larger footprint in general which would explain the problems cropping up now (as opposed to just some obscure bug triggering).

I will try the various potential solutions and see what works (beta version, disabling adblock/plugin sources, downgrading etc).

Lantis, do you have some instructions on the exact steps required to set up the swap space from start to finish?

Also it appears to me that the GUI only allows adding but not removing plugin sources, so might need some instructions on that as well.
If you plug in a USB stick, go to the System->USB Storage page, click Unmount All, then follow the instructions on the same page (it should refresh after unmount) to setup external plugin root and swap.

To remove plugin sources, you can comment out the lines in /etc/opkg.conf
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I forgot to mention that before using 1.11.0, I had used 1.10.0 for some time and found no problem with dhcp function even though I rebooted it every day. And now I reverted back to 1.10.0 again because of the dhcp problem i found in 1.11.0
Did you "preserve settings" or use a "backup file" on upgrade?

raven

Post by raven »

ispyisail wrote:
I forgot to mention that before using 1.11.0, I had used 1.10.0 for some time and found no problem with dhcp function even though I rebooted it every day. And now I reverted back to 1.10.0 again because of the dhcp problem i found in 1.11.0
Did you "preserve settings" or use a "backup file" on upgrade?
No, I did not. I did a clean install without preserved setting or use a backup file.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

raven wrote: I forgot to mention that before using 1.11.0, I had used 1.10.0 for some time and found no problem with dhcp function even though I rebooted it every day. And now I reverted back to 1.10.0 again because of the dhcp problem i found in 1.11.0
It would be good to go back to 1.11.0 and try to find a problem. I wonder if the dnsmasq daemon, which takes care of DHCP, ran after 1:00 AM. And then I would ask for a system log.
Command via ssh to detect dnsmasq run:

Code: Select all

ps | grep dnsmasq
Command via ssh for log listing:

logread
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

raven

Post by raven »

RomanHK wrote:
raven wrote: I forgot to mention that before using 1.11.0, I had used 1.10.0 for some time and found no problem with dhcp function even though I rebooted it every day. And now I reverted back to 1.10.0 again because of the dhcp problem i found in 1.11.0
It would be good to go back to 1.11.0 and try to find a problem. I wonder if the dnsmasq daemon, which takes care of DHCP, ran after 1:00 AM. And then I would ask for a system log.

ps | grep dnsmasq

logread
Probably but I will try your suggestion

raven

Post by raven »

RomanHK wrote:

ps | grep dnsmasq

logread
this is what I saw in the connected hosts menu and dnsmasq daemon in version 1.11.x, there is no host name and host ip that shows up. And only one client with ip 192.168.50.193 has no problem and connected but others don't. But in version 1.10 the host name and host ip exists and there was no problem with the wireless connection. And for logread, which parts should I look for in terms of error or something?

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

raven wrote: this is what I saw in the connected hosts menu and dnsmasq daemon in version 1.11.x, there is no host name and host ip that shows up. And only one client with ip 192.168.50.193 has no problem and connected but others don't. But in version 1.10 the host name and host ip exists and there was no problem with the wireless connection. And for logread, which parts should I look for in terms of error or something?
dnsmasq daemon works for you, that you don't see anything is caused by deleting DHCP lease and the question is why no new query is made.

1) When you turn off and on the client's wireless network, will he get an IP, is the internet going?
2) Did you configure something via ssh?

Write here the file contents: /etc/config/network and /etc/config/dhcp

P.S. it would be good to start a new thread and solve it there.

raven

Post by raven »

RomanHK wrote:
raven wrote: this is what I saw in the connected hosts menu and dnsmasq daemon in version 1.11.x, there is no host name and host ip that shows up. And only one client with ip 192.168.50.193 has no problem and connected but others don't. But in version 1.10 the host name and host ip exists and there was no problem with the wireless connection. And for logread, which parts should I look for in terms of error or something?
dnsmasq daemon works for you, that you don't see anything is caused by deleting DHCP lease and the question is why no new query is made.

1) When you turn off and on the client's wireless network, will he get an IP, is the internet going?
2) Did you configure something via ssh?

Write here the file contents: /etc/config/network and /etc/config/dhcp

P.S. it would be good to start a new thread and solve it there.
1. Yes, but sometimes client gets the ip sometimes don't, and everytime I disable and re-enable lan dhcp server the problem solved
2. No, i didn't, i configure the router only through gui

The reason why i post it here because this is 1.11 thread discussing about bugs or else

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

raven wrote: 1. Yes, but sometimes client gets the ip sometimes don't, and everytime I disable and re-enable lan dhcp server the problem solved

The reason why i post it here because this is 1.11 thread discussing about bugs or else
So if I understand it, the Internet works for clients and it is just a cosmetic defect of displaying your name and IP address.

Then I recommend, make a static reservation for each client. It has a lot of advantages as well as after the reboot the IPs are assigned to the same clients, the network statistics will always be assigned to the same clients, etc.

raven

Post by raven »

RomanHK wrote:
raven wrote: 1. Yes, but sometimes client gets the ip sometimes don't, and everytime I disable and re-enable lan dhcp server the problem solved

So if I understand it, the Internet works for clients and it is just a cosmetic defect of displaying your name and IP address.

Then I recommend, make a static reservation for each client. It has a lot of advantages as well as after the reboot the IPs are assigned to the same clients, the network statistics will always be assigned to the same clients, etc.
Yes internet works but most of the times didn't, if i use static ip to the client, the problem solved everything works but what i want to know is why this doesn't happen in 1.10 so i guess there is "something" not right in 1.11 needs to be fixed. I'll post my dhcp network as your request later