Apple vs FBI

Friendly, civilized conversation about life the universe and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Apple vs FBI

Post by ispyisail »

Hi all

Were does everybody stand on this issue?

Lantis

Re: Apple vs FBI

Post by Lantis »

A developer shouldn't have to compromise on their beliefs and poke holes in a product they've spent decades making secure.

On the other hand, it is a highly valuable form of intelligence for the other party and understand why they would want it. I also believe in some cases it's probably justifiable.

But that sets a precedent, and suddenly we are hacking phones for kids stealing a loaf of bread.

The intent is good, but it never works in practice because the accountability and decision process is too open to corruption. Until you can fix that, Apple should be left alone in my opinion.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I think its deeper than that

I think the FBI could hire developers to hack the phone at much expense BUT they don't want o get into a "cat and mouse" game with Apple.

I would be much easier for the FBI to have Apple in the same team.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

tapper

Post by tapper »

Apple and the US government are squaring off in an epic legal battle with wide-ranging implications for how technology firms must work with law enforcement.

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-apple-fbi- ... tions.html

Are Apple and other tech companies somehow against America’s national security if they create uncrackable encryption software that government investigators or even the company’s own engineers can’t break into?

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/forcing-ap ... precedent/

Apple vs. FBI: Everything You Need to Know
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphone- ... 21915.html

I am on the side of Apple. The US gov can't even be trusted to execute a worent with out shooting peoples dogs, they cant be trusted!
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Yeah, Apple are the good guys here, no question about it.

It's true, Gargoyle has the capacity to control/monitor/restrict users but in my mind it's very, very different when a parent wants to monitor their kid, or a business wants wants to monitor their employees while at work on the internet connection they pay for vs. a government wanting to monitor their citizens. HUGE difference.

It's worth noting a few things about this particular case. First, even if the FBI forces Apple to give in, there are phone firmwares that are open source (Cyanogenmod) which can be used to enable encryption like what the FBI wants Apple to break for a phone. That's the good news.

The BAD news is that the real bogeyman is the NSA, not the FBI. The base-band transmitters in cell phones are inherently vulnerable, and this data along with a TON of other data collected from the traffic captured from internet backbone routers is being hoovered up by the NSA in bulk. It's also very possible there's a back door enabled by the base band transmitter the NSA has access to. What's happening here is that the NSA isn't willing to share the data they have with the FBI... or at least it wasn't.... I wonder if the timing of this is a coincidence: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/us/po ... cepts.html

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

To my way of thinking,

Trust is built on Transparency and Consistency.

When any individual or organization finds the need to say "Trust me" then sooner or later there will be a problem. Persons in positions of Trust must finds ways to do their job transparently, even if they are trustworthy.

Open Source is one such important transparency and I believe that Open Source will finally have its day in the next decade or so.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

To my way of thinking,

Privacy of Information and Communication are fundamental to Dignity, Intimacy, and to disposing those who would Abuse positions of Power.

Pre-emptive knowledge on which to act has been a fundamental feature of human evolutionary history - it is the reason why big brains evolved. The person or organization with pre-emptive knowledge will win the evolutionary race (and vice versa). Equality cannot exist without privacy.

End of Rant (sorry - bit intense for this time of morning)

Steeve85

Post by Steeve85 »

Yes :) It's very interesting :o

astuce pour blanchir les dents rapidement - avoir des dents blanches rapidement et naturellement - avoir des dent blanche rapidement

Chris

Post by Chris »

I also think liberty is more valuable than any form of information.
But on the other hands, less liberty equals more security.
Nowadays it's more than crucial to block the terrorism crisis. Privacy of Information may be fundamental to Dignity and Intimacy, but how are you going to fight without all the information at hands ? It also has the underlying concept as our liberty concerning our energetic needs. A little bit off-topic but yeah, it's the same model.