New Linksys WIFI Drivers

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

cybrnook2002

Re: New Linksys WIFI Drivers

Post by cybrnook2002 »

hello lantis!

just wanted to check with you how your latest build has been running. are you on the latest 10.3.0.18-20160823-1 driver?

as well, I know it has been mentioned that your builds are running a new gui. would users still have the ability to use the older version, I am rather fond of its easy to navigate layout.

(I know I know, chefs choice. but wanted to ask)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is running very well.
I don't experience any issues.
It is the latest driver (released last month).

No you don't have that option. This GUI will eventually become the default.

However, I encourage you to give it a try.
The default theme, Gargoyle Classic, is as close to the old interface as I can get it. You'll notice some differences, but the overall structure and feel is identical.
The main advantage of this new GUI is full mobile support, and faster load times.

I'll upload a few pictures later but I think you'll be ok :)

http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

cybrnook2002

Post by cybrnook2002 »

Thanks for the super fast response. I think I will give it a try tonight when I get home from work :-)

I read that there are issues with layer 7. Any options in particular I should stay away from when setting the router up? I use a rather basic setup...few static IP's (else is DHCP), custom DNS, VPN client, and potentially some QoS.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi when setting up QOS just don't use any layer 7 rules and you will be good. layer 7 is broke in a bad way and will not work.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

cybrnook2002

Post by cybrnook2002 »

Will it be obvious which rules relate to layer 7? Will it be labeled in such a way , like; "Layer 7 QoS options". Or should I just know which rules operate on layer 7 as opposed to 4, 5 etc..... :-) If that's the case I may leave QoS off all together. :o :shock: :shock:

I did peek at the provided screenshots of the QoS sections (bandwidth, 1, and 2) but I did not see a separation of the what rules/combinations made a layer 7 rule. So just thinking about what layer 7 is (Application layer I think), I should not try and restrict particular protocols or services (ftp etc....) to avoid restricting on layer 7, but should still be able to restrict on a host/client basis. Or even my caps should be fine as well..... right?

I typically only use basic QoS features to limit my "caps" to 2-3 Mbps under my provisioned limits to assist with buffer bloat.

EDIT: Not trying to go off topic of course, just qualifying everything prior to loading it up, that's all.
Last edited by cybrnook2002 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tapper

Post by tapper »

cybrnook2002 wrote:Will it be obvious which rues relate to layer 7? Will it be labeled in such a way , like; "Layer 7 QoS options". Or should I just know which rules operate on layer 7 as opposed to 4, 5 etc..... :-) If that's the case I may leave QoS off all together. :o :shock: :shock:

I did peek at the provided screenshots of the QoS sections (bandwidth, 1, and 2) but I did not see a separation of the what rules/combinations made a layer 7 rule. So just thinking about what layer 7 is (Application layer I think), I should not try and restrict particular protocols or services (ftp etc....) to avoid restricting on layer 7, but should still be able to restrict on a host/client basis. Or even my caps should be fine as well..... right?

I typically only use basic QoS features to limit my "caps" to 2-3 Mbps under my provisioned limits to assist with buffer bloat.

EDIT: Not trying to go off topic of course, just qualifying everything prior to loading it up, that's all.

"I should not try and restrict particular protocols or services"

Bang on mate. Apart from that QOS works just fine.
It's OK to go OT a bit mate I do it all the time :D
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

cybrnook2002

Post by cybrnook2002 »

tapper wrote:
cybrnook2002 wrote:Will it be obvious which rues relate to layer 7? Will it be labeled in such a way , like; "Layer 7 QoS options". Or should I just know which rules operate on layer 7 as opposed to 4, 5 etc..... :-) If that's the case I may leave QoS off all together. :o :shock: :shock:

"I should not try and restrict particular protocols or services"

Bang on mate. Apart from that QOS works just fine.
It's OK to go OT a bit mate I do it all the time :D
Danke Schon my friend!

:D Will check it out tonight :D

apvm

Post by apvm »

Planning to flash this soon to try out on my v1, wonder if USB external hard drive work with your latest build? Thanks.

By the way is the 8/31 latest build? Thanks again.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Build has been refreshed and seems to be running ok.
Same download location as always.

Also added preliminary support for Rango and would be nice to see feedback on that.

Also fixed the switch port status not showing up for this series of routers in the status page.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

apvm wrote:Planning to flash this soon to try out on my v1, wonder if USB external hard drive work with your latest build? Thanks.

By the way is the 8/31 latest build? Thanks again.
Hi mate USB external hard drives work ok. I tested with a 32 gb USB stick. If using a big drive your mileage may very. :^)
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260