gargoyle-ispy 2016-January-25 18:46.torrent

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

nworbnhoj

Re: gargoyle-ispy 2016-January-25 18:46.torrent

Post by nworbnhoj »

ispyisail wrote:I was actually working on a more automated system but have stopped due to your better system
Not better until I can get it to work! The reason that I post in the forum about stuff I am working on is to try and avoid duplication of effort. What is the new approach you were taking?
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Adri

Post by Adri »

If the automated build are done from commits checked by @Eric or another good developer, then some level of checking has been done and the number of 'bricking' images should be few.. ;)
I think that is a good compromise.
I'm looking forward to the first automated builds...
Would each build also include some kind of change list or release notes?
Or do we just check the build number against the git commits?

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Adri wrote:Would each build also include some kind of change list or release notes?
Or do we just check the build number against the git commits?
Steady up! I am up to my ears in code here at the moment! :lol: Need to get this sucker to fly first.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

What is the new approach you were taking?
It must be remembered that to coding skills are rudimentary at best

It took me a million hours to get a basic build script to work.

I was thinking about creating a google group (well I did) Then emailing the group when a build had finished. At the details about the build would be it that email, download link, routers etc.

People could then sign up to the group for updates. When they no longer want emails they unsubscribe.

Nothing as fancy as your were working on

One feature that I would really like in my script is when the build fails to exit the script. No idea how to do that.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

ispyisail wrote:I was thinking about creating a google group (well I did) Then emailing the group when a build had finished. At the details about the build would be it that email, download link, routers etc.

People could then sign up to the group for updates. When they no longer want emails they unsubscribe.

Nothing as fancy as your were working on
To the contrary - the Google Group would work well for this - and it addresses @Adri's question above. My approach with travis-ci would deal with the build and distribution but not the notification or explanation.

finsoft03

Post by finsoft03 »

I have a strange issue with this new version. When I restart my router the wifi password is automatically reset to the password of Router. My router is 1043nd v2. Because of this I had to downgrade to 1.8.1

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

finsoft03 wrote:I have a strange issue with this new version. When I restart my router the wifi password is automatically reset to the password of Router. My router is 1043nd v2. Because of this I had to downgrade to 1.8.1
That is strange behaviour, but your router is common and this problem has not been reported by others to my recollection. I would have another go at flashing to this build and being careful to wait until the process has completed and not interacting with the router at all while the process is underway.

deanMKD

Post by deanMKD »

ispyisail wrote:
deanMKD wrote:Keep the torrent client active after downloading !! Files are needed to someone else, dont remember. ;)
:)

9 out of 10 people don't in my experience

Having said that my bandwidth was still less than using other methods

I suspect you will also find that by not forcing people to download all the files you will end up doing much more of the work?

another interesting observation was at one point "marrco" was providing an ftp mirror of my torrent.

about
100 people download the torrent
100 people download the ftp file

When only the torrent is provided still only 100 people downloaded

Can can only assume many people don't like torrents?
Its not problem for me to keep seed always. Anyway my RaspberryPi is always 24/7 active. :D

If you have better idea how to share beta builds, let me know.

mgoo

Post by mgoo »

For any beta build to go on my main router, I would want to be certain of its origin, and not risk loading a modified image with unwanted stuff added to it. I hope with any new automated build solution, that security and protection against tampering is still considered, and that torrents/links are to be provided with some verifiable integrity.

And thankyou to everyone for your work on the project, much appreciated.

-mgoo

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

mgoo wrote:For any beta build to go on my main router, I would want to be certain of its origin, and not risk loading a modified image with unwanted stuff added to it. I hope with any new automated build solution, that security and protection against tampering is still considered.
It is very secure at the moment because I still cannot get it to work. ....

But yes agreed. With the approach that I am attemting to setup the Gargoyle image would be available directly from a @Erics Github account (or some other fork of Gargoyle) where you can see the open source code your are running. Probably it provides more assurance of origin than the current approach.

However, running beta software almost guarantees "unwanted stuff" though not generally of the malicious variety.