gargoyle-ispy 2016-January-25 18:46.torrent

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

deanMKD

Re: gargoyle-ispy 2016-January-25 18:46.torrent

Post by deanMKD »

ispyisail wrote:
P.S: Left this torrent to seed on my seedbox PC 24/7.
Thanks

Did you try and make a torrent uncompressed?
Noup Yet, but can make that in minute. Of course need your permissions to that. ISpy is your development. ;)

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Noup Yet, but can make that in minute. Of course need your permissions to that. ISpy is your development. ;)
No

Its Eric's project, all the source is found here

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/gargoyle

License

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/about.php#license

deanMKD

Post by deanMKD »

I make a another torrent, and users can download only files that needed.

Download here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-3LBK ... sp=sharing

jd45321

Post by jd45321 »

deanMKD wrote:I make a another torrent, and users can download only files that needed.

Download here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-3LBK ... sp=sharing

Nice! Thanks

deanMKD

Post by deanMKD »

Keep the torrent client active after downloading !! Files are needed to someone else, dont remember. ;)

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

deanMKD wrote:Keep the torrent client active after downloading !! Files are needed to someone else, dont remember. ;)
:)

9 out of 10 people don't in my experience

Having said that my bandwidth was still less than using other methods

I suspect you will also find that by not forcing people to download all the files you will end up doing much more of the work?

another interesting observation was at one point "marrco" was providing an ftp mirror of my torrent.

about
100 people download the torrent
100 people download the ftp file

When only the torrent is provided still only 100 people downloaded

Can can only assume many people don't like torrents?

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

I am working on another way to distribute beta versions but I am not quite there yet.
The approach involves using travis-ci.org to automatically build the Gargoyle images whenever a change is made and then automatically deploy the images back to github where they can be downloads as individual images. See preliminary example
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318
The beauty of this approach is that that it all happens in the "cloud" and the upload/download issues disappears. The downside is that I have not quite got it working - stay tuned
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Adri

Post by Adri »

nworbnhoj wrote:I am working on another way to distribute beta versions but I am not quite there yet.
The approach involves using travis-ci.org to automatically build the Gargoyle images whenever a change is made and then automatically deploy the images back to github where they can be downloads as individual images. See preliminary example
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318
The beauty of this approach is that that it all happens in the "cloud" and the upload/download issues disappears. The downside is that I have not quite got it working - stay tuned
Nice idea,

But I hope this doesn't mean 'download and install at your own risk'....
At least the current images provided by iSpy have had some rudimentary testing, before being posted.
With an automated build system, this testing won't occur and if an image builds successfully, it will be published.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Adri wrote:But I hope this doesn't mean 'download and install at your own risk'....
At least the current images provided by iSpy have had some rudimentary testing, before being posted.
With an automated build system, this testing won't occur and if an image builds successfully, it will be published.
Yep - so assuming I can get this working (turns out to be non trivial) - what level of check do you believe is appropriate?

Currently, Developers propose changes (pull requests) to @Eric who checks the code to his satisfaction and then Commits the change into Gargoyle master. From time to time @ispyisail downloads the Gargoyle master code, builds it on his PC, and uploads a Torrent containing all of the Gargoyle images.

The travis-ci build system can be setup to build only when the Commit is Tagged as a release by @Eric. The travis-ci system would automate the work that @ispyisail does in getting the Gargoyle master code, building it, and making the Gargoyle images available for download. The difference is that the process does not wear out @ispyisails build PC an does not chew into @ispyisail's personal bandwidth. It also means that Gargoyle images would be available as individual downloads. I don't think it changes much in terms of quality checks.
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

The difference is that the process does not wear out @ispyisails build PC an does not chew into @ispyisail's personal bandwidth. It also means that Gargoyle images would be available as individual downloads. I don't think it changes much in terms of quality checks.
The CPU and bandwidth is not actually a problem

More automation would be good though

I was actually working on a more automated system but have stopped due to your better system