Gargoyle 1.6.X x86 generic image

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle 1.6.X x86 generic image

Post by Lantis »

Cool as long as you got it working :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

Yeah, I managed to get x86_64 working but am struggling with messing with the kernel options. It's so confusing, and by the time I got MSR and cpufreq working, it would boot only to crash trace.

Here is a thread that explains how to customize the kernel_menuconfig. http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 190#p21919

Sigh. In a VM there is an issue I noticed (both VMWARE workstation and virtualbox). CPU use goes through the roof, whether using e1000 or vmxnet3! Booting from usb stick, no problems.
Vlan 0.2 for lan/bridge, vlan 0.3 for wan. Buffalo g300nh router has the same vlans to separate wan and lan (so dhcp doesn't confuse wan).
Was running qos with 120 up and 120 mbit down at the same time using at most 30% on each cpu according to htop! This is a laptop with intel gigabit nic and core 2 duo 1.2ghz su9300.

Idle power in windows, with 1.4 ghz dual IDA overclock (throttlestop) is 7 watts with screen off. Booting from stick- no overclock, 12 watts with screen off. Sigh, that's why I'm trying to get msr working (and argh, no msr-utils since AA?) and cpufreq modules. Using mcore2 vs x86_64 generic shows very little difference on openssl bench.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

This is all very interesting. However I think you're more in the realm of openwrt. Not much x86 expertise here unfortunately :(
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

I had a hell of a time when I was trying to overclock my ar71xx wndr3800. It was easy for the openwrt guys, but a hassle with gargoyle. I think the way gargoyle makes kinds of bungles up the normality that the linux community goes by, as you see in the thread link I posted.

But openwrt's QOS is not too good. Gargoyle by far, has the best qos setup!

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

Ok, so I had an issue no matter what I tried, x86/ 64, your image.

I'm running my iperf stress testing of the qos, any amount of threads, one way or both ways- if there is traffic going on:

If I change ANY setting on qos, bandwith, port, etc... it either freezes or crash reboot. I also disabled qosmon, same thing.

Something about qos gargoyle acts bad with x86 32 or 64. I'm using nics that work with e1000e nic driver.

Dmesg interactive on tty0 on the screen don't show anything- its too late to log when its frozen already or reboots itself.

Anyone have any idea why x86 code would be buggy with gargoyle's setup??

robnitro

Post by robnitro »

I posted my issue in another thread regarding qos freezing the system:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8650&p=37832#p37832