Gargoyle-ispy 2014-June-15.7z

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

scrmtrey

Re: Gargoyle-ispy 2014-June-15.7z

Post by scrmtrey »

Please make the new build. On ddwrt forum, people reporting that ANI is no longer a problem, on WR1043ND v1.10.

So i am waiting for the newer gargoyle build, with never driver version i guess.

Ps. I can confirm that disabling ani is no longer needed on wr1043nd , with this build.
wdr3600 v1.5 @ Latest ispyisail build

mckman

Post by mckman »

Rog66 wrote:Don't think the wireless problems have been fixed. I'm sat next to my router and today have had multiple drops in an hour while on a web conference. The 5Ghz band disappeared completely and the 2.4gHz band kept dropping my laptops connection. :-(
I too was having this problem with both the June 4 and June 15 release. After running the following 2 commands on my router:

Code: Select all

echo 0 >/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k/ani
echo 1 >/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/ath9k/ani
I get great wireless performance for most of the day on my WNDR3700v1 and WNDRMACv2 but then performance degrades. I found that when I re-enter these commands, performance improves again. So what I did was create a cron job to run these commands every 3 hours. I've had this setup for the last 2 weeks and the performance has been great. Below is the cron job i created to do this. I inserted this at the end of the existing /etc/crontabs/root file:

00 */3 * * * sh /root/disableani.sh
I then did the following:

vi /root/disableani.sh

and inserted the following:

echo 0 >/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k/ani
echo 1 >/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/ath9k/ani
then i saved the file and then typed the following after saving the above file:

chmod 655 /root/disableani.sh

I then restarted cron using the following command:

/etc/init.d/cron restart
Hopefully, this helps others that are having issues.
Netgear WNDR3700 v1
Netgear WNDRMAC v2
TP-Link MR3020 v1.8
TP-Link WR743ND v1

scrmtrey

Post by scrmtrey »

This june 15 build is awesome. Don't update to newer because it is faulty.

With this version, no need for ack or ANI modification, it is working fine with default settings.
Last edited by scrmtrey on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdr3600 v1.5 @ Latest ispyisail build

mckman

Post by mckman »

This June 15 build is working fine on my wmdrmac v2 and wndr3700 v1. I am not going to risk moving to a newer version now that WiFi is stable and performing well with the disassociate low ack set to 0 and ANI disabled every few hours. I think I will stick with this build until I move on to 802.11AC hardware or if there's another major security hole found like heartbleed.
Netgear WNDR3700 v1
Netgear WNDRMAC v2
TP-Link MR3020 v1.8
TP-Link WR743ND v1

mckman

Post by mckman »

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has a wndr3700v1 or wndrmarv2 running on a newer build of Gargoyle with good success. I've been very happy and satisfied with the 7/15/14 build on this router but it's old and i'm wondering if i should upgrade to a newer build for this router. Have there been improvements made to QOS or OpenVPN that I may want to further explore with a newer build for these routers?

Thank you in advance for any meaningful feedback on this.
Netgear WNDR3700 v1
Netgear WNDRMAC v2
TP-Link MR3020 v1.8
TP-Link WR743ND v1

tapper

Post by tapper »

mckman wrote:Hello,

Wondering if anyone has a wndr3700v1 or wndrmarv2 running on a newer build of Gargoyle with good success. I've been very happy and satisfied with the 7/15/14 build on this router but it's old and i'm wondering if i should upgrade to a newer build for this router. Have there been improvements made to QOS or OpenVPN that I may want to further explore with a newer build for these routers?

Hi mate here is the latest build of 1.8
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7629

1.9 is being tested now and will be out wen soon/ready.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

mckman

Post by mckman »

tapper wrote:

Hello and Thank you for this link. I am aware of the newer builds but I am wanting to know if there's a compelling reason why those on 1.6.x should upgrade to newer versions for older Netgear devices like WDNR3700v1 and WNDRMACv2 (similar to wndr3800). Do the newer builds offer any better performance on this older equipment especially with QOS/ACC or OpenVPN or anything else? It doesn't seem that wifi performance has further improved past 1.6.x but perhaps i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Netgear WNDR3700 v1
Netgear WNDRMAC v2
TP-Link MR3020 v1.8
TP-Link WR743ND v1

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

mckman wrote:
tapper wrote:

Hello and Thank you for this link. I am aware of the newer builds but I am wanting to know if there's a compelling reason why those on 1.6.x should upgrade to newer versions for older Netgear devices like WDNR3700v1 and WNDRMACv2 (similar to wndr3800). Do the newer builds offer any better performance on this older equipment especially with QOS/ACC or OpenVPN or anything else? It doesn't seem that wifi performance has further improved past 1.6.x but perhaps i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Yes, there have been improvements, bug fixes, and security fixes for many things since then. The underlying OpenWRT has been upgraded to to Barrier Breaker. You can now install adblocking. QoS has had slight behind the scenes improvements. New wireless drivers, etc. If there weren't constant upgrades and bug fixes, there would be no point in releasing new versions. :P

You can go the News forum and read the first posts of the 1.6.2, 1.7, 1.7.1, 1.7.2, and 1.8 threads. If you upgrade don't preserve your settings. If for whatever reason 1.8 doesn't work well, you can always "upgrade" (downgrade) to 1.6.2, which would be similar to what you're running now.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

mckman wrote:I am wanting to know if there's a compelling reason why those on 1.6.x should upgrade to newer versions
A key new function delivered from Gargoyle v1.8 is the provision for a Guest WiFi network. Gargoyle v1.8 is based on OpenWRT Barrier Breaker and the pending Gargoyle v1.10 on OpenWRT Chaos Calmer. Gargoyle v1.8 appears to have inherited some performance issues from OpenWRT BB which will hopefully be resolved in OpenWRT CC. There is of course the usual incremental progress with the underlying dependencies and bugs.
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E