1.13.0.x gargoyle-ispy 2020-November-01 20

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

WARNING: DO NOT PRESERVE SETTINGS

Now includes packages

New Feature
Now supports VPN service providers (username/password)

Bug Fixes

Torrent
https://bit.ly/2U1dNsp

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:980dc5573895b569f2a2c12176ff60869cf72fb8&dn=1.13.0.x%20gargoyle-ispy%202020-November-01%2020.7z&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.open-internet.nl%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fallesanddro.de%3a1337%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2f9.rarbg.to%3a2710%2fannounce

Routers
https://bit.ly/3kZ5CsP

Changelog
(see creation date for commit date)

https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... its/master

RomanHK

Re: 1.13.0.x gargoyle-ispy 2020-November-01 20

Post by RomanHK »

So I could help and make them easier to download, so I started my own web server: http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz

Here you can find the latest (and some older) builds from this forum.

Build from @ispyisail (I thank him):
The "images and built" directory will be decompressed by file.
Here you will also find a mirror in compressed form.

P.S. Sometimes the server may not work because of an update - but this should take a short time. Also, I don't know how long I will be hosting my site, but I will try to keep it as long as possible.

Good luck and good health ;) ...
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Would be keen to hear any feedback from people using OpenVPN with a service provider (which should be entirely possible now).

To kick things off, i'm using NordVPN without anything special. Import their file, enter username and password, done.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

goyle100

Post by goyle100 »

Upgraded 2 routers without problems. Did not save settings. Restored default config immediately after upgrade before re-configuring from scratch.

Router#1 - Archer C7 v4. Upgraded from 1.12.X(20200429). Upgraded to ath79 (from ar71xx I think). Router configured identical to previous config (Wireless Access Point)

Router#2 - DIR-835 RevA. Upgraded from 1.12.X(20200302). Upgraded to ath79 (from ar71xx I think). Router configured identical to previous config (Dumb AP)

Comments:
1. Router#1 Memory Usage went from 25MB/122.1MB (20.5%) to 50MB/121.3MB (41.3%)
Router#2 Memory Usage went from 20.4MB/122.1MB (16.7%) to 21.6MB/121.3MB (17.8%)
Why did memory usage on Archer C7 v4 double when upgrading?

2. For a simple family home network why should I care about IPv6? I disabled DHCP IPv6 DHCP screen. Still I see cryptic router IPs on Basic Connection screen. I see an advantage of Gargoyle over Openwrt is its simplicity in configuring it. Config screens are not cluttered. Having cryptic IPv6 info shown when not required clutters things up. I would suggest that having, for example, a setting of "Prefix Assignment Mask" on a screen called 'Connection, Basic' is out of place. I've never heard of this... I would not consider it a basic setting. I would like to turn off IPv6 and see previous simple config screens. How do I disable IPv6 fully? Also Connection, Routing shows IPv6 active routes..Why do I want this? How to unselect to use any IPv6?

3. Out of curiousity, is this version of Gargoyle based on latest stable Openwrt 19.07.4?

4. Biggest pain in the ass when upgrading when not preserving setting is dealing with DHCP assigned static IP addresses. It would be great if there was a way to export DHCP static config and then import again after upgrading. Reconfiguring router is pretty straight forward but manually having to reconfigure static DHCP takes a fair amount of time. This would fit well on the System, Backup/Restore config screen.

Thanks!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

goyle100 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:00 pm
Upgraded 2 routers without problems. Did not save settings. Restored default config immediately after upgrade before re-configuring from scratch.

Router#1 - Archer C7 v4. Upgraded from 1.12.X(20200429). Upgraded to ath79 (from ar71xx I think). Router configured identical to previous config (Wireless Access Point)

Router#2 - DIR-835 RevA. Upgraded from 1.12.X(20200302). Upgraded to ath79 (from ar71xx I think). Router configured identical to previous config (Dumb AP)

Comments:
1. Router#1 Memory Usage went from 25MB/122.1MB (20.5%) to 50MB/121.3MB (41.3%)
Router#2 Memory Usage went from 20.4MB/122.1MB (16.7%) to 21.6MB/121.3MB (17.8%)
Why did memory usage on Archer C7 v4 double when upgrading?
Initial thoughts, possibly to do with the extra overheads with IPv6 connection monitoring, but if you immediately turned all of that off (per below) maybe not.
There's significant kernel and userland changes between 1.12 and 1.13, it could just be natural attrition. I've not noted any significant increases myself.
goyle100 wrote:
2. For a simple family home network why should I care about IPv6?
You don't have to care about IPv6. If you don't want to run it, that's ok. I will note that things are slowly progressing more and more towards IPv6, and while i don't think you'll be completely left behind (in our lifetimes), there may be a point in time where IPv4 is an old technology no longer used.
goyle100 wrote:
I disabled DHCP IPv6 DHCP screen. Still I see cryptic router IPs on Basic Connection screen. I see an advantage of Gargoyle over Openwrt is its simplicity in configuring it. Config screens are not cluttered. Having cryptic IPv6 info shown when not required clutters things up. I would suggest that having, for example, a setting of "Prefix Assignment Mask" on a screen called 'Connection, Basic' is out of place. I've never heard of this... I would not consider it a basic setting. I would like to turn off IPv6 and see previous simple config screens.
Point taken, IPv6 settings are complex and confusing. They just are. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, and perhaps because of my lack of complete understanding is why i can't dumb it down enough to a point where it suits the Connection->Basic page. I'll try to work on that.
Putting it onto a Connnection->Advanced page makes complete logical sense and might be the first conclusion you come to. Unfortunately the way the network settings are tightly coupled, splitting it to another page would be hugely painful. Maybe the pain is worth it for the end user experience, but not something i was willing to tackle at this stage.
goyle100 wrote:
How do I disable IPv6 fully? Also Connection, Routing shows IPv6 active routes..Why do I want this? How to unselect to use any IPv6?
Here's the bit you won't like. You pretty much can't (well you can, but its not easy). I'll point out that all i've done is open the curtain on some functions your router was already doing without you knowing. IPv6 has been enabled on your local network for a long time you just haven't seen the details.
IPv6 has been heavily baked into the Linux kernel, and it is now very difficult to unbake the cake so to speak. There are drastic measures of turning it off, however as most code is now being written as dual stack capable, you actually run into more trouble than you solve by trying. If you don't want to use it, disable as much of it as i've allowed you to, and then ignore the rest.
We might look at hiding IPv6 information in some cases when you're turned some settings off, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.
goyle100 wrote:
3. Out of curiousity, is this version of Gargoyle based on latest stable Openwrt 19.07.4?
Not quite. We're somewhere between 19.07.3 and 19.07.4. I'll make a note to try and update to the latest soon.
goyle100 wrote:
4. Biggest pain in the ass when upgrading when not preserving setting is dealing with DHCP assigned static IP addresses. It would be great if there was a way to export DHCP static config and then import again after upgrading. Reconfiguring router is pretty straight forward but manually having to reconfigure static DHCP takes a fair amount of time. This would fit well on the System, Backup/Restore config screen.
Definitely something we can look at for the future.
Unfortunately in the case you just undertook (1.12.x to 1.13.x) the settings are 100% incompatible anyway and would have needed major translation. They're not even stored in the same file anymore.
goyle100 wrote:
Thanks!
Thank you for your feedback! It's not going to get anywhere without people telling us what works and what doesn't.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

lceron80

Post by lceron80 »

nice update and went smoothly. no plug-ins available for installation? where do i download ipk version of them? thanks again.
1x wndr3700v4 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr3800 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr4300v1 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndrmacv2 exp. 1.9.x

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

lceron80 wrote:no plug-ins available for installation? where do i download ipk version of them?
*.ipk packages are part of the 7zip archive or you can download them separately from me and install them manually ;) .

You install other (OpenWrt) packages in the standard way:

Code: Select all

gpkg update
gpkg install ...
P.S. If a package requires the installation of a kernel module that is not part of the 7zip archive (or gargoyle storage), the installation will fail and end. Unfortunately, this is still not functional due to the huge storage capacity and the long build time of the build :( .
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

ZoomThru

Post by ZoomThru »

Can't get router to accept custom DNS on this latest build.
Updated my WRT32X from stable 1.12, so if there's been issues in previous experimental builds lately with custom DNS, forgive me as I wasn't aware.

Can get the router to change to every DNS option in the list successfully and connect except for the custom. Router just hangs at updating settings window after custom DNS numbers are added. Never take hold.

Try on different wired PC's and on different browsers (Firefox,Edge) all with same results. Just can't get router to accept custom DNS numbers through the GUI.

Linksys WRT32X connect via DHCP wired ipv6 disabled, wireless disabled. Name Coin/OpenNic, force clients disabled.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

ZoomThru wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:32 pm
Updated my WRT32X from stable 1.12, so if there's been issues in previous experimental builds lately with custom DNS, forgive me as I wasn't aware.

Can get the router to change to every DNS option in the list successfully and connect except for the custom. Router just hangs at updating settings window after custom DNS numbers are added. Never take hold.

Try on different wired PC's and on different browsers (Firefox,Edge) all with same results. Just can't get router to accept custom DNS numbers through the GUI.

Linksys WRT32X connect via DHCP wired ipv6 disabled, wireless disabled. Name Coin/OpenNic, force clients disabled.
On upgrade did you preserve setting or use a backup file?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

ZoomThru wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:32 pm

See fix here:
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... 948053342d
Minor typo apologies.