Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.11.x for ipq806x architecture routers

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

pythonic

Re: Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.11.x for ipq806x architecture routers

Post by pythonic »

Maniac wrote:So... with that tweak I'm getting 360 plugged into the router, but that's about what I was getting before the tweak (340); so I'm not sure how much it really helped.
It appears to have given you all the bandwidth your link now permits rather than only about 95% of it ;-) - a small win only though. If you run top as suggested by @RomanHK, both with and without the tweak, I think the tweak will be lowering your overall CPU utilisation enough to be quite apparent. Whether this extra CPU availability proves useful would depend on what other services the router was expected to run while saturating the link.
Maniac wrote:On the bright side... I'm using Gargoyle now, since it's fast enough to saturate my link.
I hope you find it a good fit with your requirements, at least until you upgrade your link bandwidth anyway ;-)

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Just checked, CPU load using top said it was under 10% while running Speedtest. It also says the same in Gargoyle status page. I recall it being higher before. That's a huge improvement.

If I have time I will try it again later without the tweak.
pythonic wrote:
Maniac wrote:On the bright side... I'm using Gargoyle now, since it's fast enough to saturate my link.
I hope you find it a good fit with your requirements, at least until you upgrade your link bandwidth anyway ;-)
Thanks, I've been using Gargoyle for years and like it alot!

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

I haven't had time to try this without the tweak yet, but I'm running into a weird issue.

When trying to checkout on AliExpress, particularly when trying coupons I got from RetailMeNot, my router resets (inaccessible momentarily, and then shows 0 minutes uptime on status page) and refuses to get a new IP from my modem until I reset the modem. This happened both tonight and a few nights ago. After restarting everything about 5x tonight, I got fed up and switched to my old router running Gargoyle 1.11.0. No issues! It worked fine.

It seems somehow the internet traffic is causing the router to reset? I've never had something like this happen before. Is this a bug in 1.11.X or maybe an issue with this particular build?
Last edited by Maniac on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Maniac wrote:It seems somehow the internet traffic is causing the router to reset? I've never had something like this happen before. Is this a bug in 1.11.X or maybe an issue with this particular build?
That is indeed bizarre :shock:

The first thing that comes to mind is that this build is using more aggressive compiler optimisation than stock OpenWrt/Gargoyle and miscompiles can't be discounted. gcc -O2 (as used for this build) is AFAIK supposed to work reliably for kernel.org Linux kernels but that doesn't necessarily apply to 3rd party patched kernels (e.g OpenWrt/Gargoyle).

I will upload a standard (-Os) build of 1.12.0 as soon as I can, but you might wish to test a Lantis' 1.13.x development build in the mean time to see whether it suffers the same behaviour.

BTW: what sort of WAN connection (e.g. PPPoE/IPoE etc) are you using?

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

pythonic wrote: That is indeed bizarre :shock:

I will upload a standard (-Os) build of 1.12.0 as soon as I can, but you might wish to test a Lantis' 1.13.x development build in the mean time to see whether it suffers the same behaviour.

BTW: what sort of WAN connection (e.g. PPPoE/IPoE etc) are you using?
I'll give that a shot this weekend, hopefully. I'm on DHCP (wired) - cable.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Please note update to first post: this build has been withdrawn; superceded by 1.12.0 build.