Best way to Configure Gargoyle Repeater With Same SSID

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

thelordabdo

Best way to Configure Gargoyle Repeater With Same SSID

Post by thelordabdo »

Hello All,

Important Alternative Method At the Bottom

First this Guide is for Noobs _like me_ not for experts , and may contain non very accurate information as its based on my experience _ Try and Error experience not technical _ and some readings , as it took me about a day to figure the best method to do it and wants to make it faster for other noobs .

Assuming you have :

1. ISP Modem/Router connected with Cable to a .....
2. Gargoyle Router/AP (in my case WR-1043ND V2 with version 1.11.0) wants to be connected with Wifi with a ....
3. Gargoyle Repeater (in my case WR-841ND V9 with version 1.10.0)

The best outcome is to achieve these goals :
1. Can access and configure the Modem or AP or Repeater from any device connected to the network with just the ip .
2. Same SSID with no connection errors for non hassle configurations at connected devices .
3.All Connected Devices at same Subnet so Sharing is enabled between devices connected to the Router/AP and the Repeater

First For the ISP Modem/Router (you can skip this but i will say it anyway) :
The Modem IP is :192.168.1.1
I have enabled the DHCP and gave the Gargoyle Router/AP the Static IP 192.168.1.2 , Most people will till you to disable the Modem DHCP as this is a double NAT which is not recommended , but my purpose is to be able to access the modem from any device using the ip 192.168.1.1 , so to overcome the double NAT (so the upnp can work at the Gargoyle Router/AP and you can host Servers with no problems) just enable an option called DMZ in the modem _ 99.99% you have this option _ to the AP ip which is 192.168.1.2 , NEVER Connect another Device other than the Gargoyle Router/AP to the ISP Modem/Router .

https://ibb.co/HCzcP4p

Second For the Gargoyle Router/AP :
- Choose Gateway
- Connect via DHCP (Wired)
- Router ip : 192.168.0.1
- Subnet mask :225.225.225.0
- Wireless mode : AP only
- At the DHCP give the Gargoyle Repeater MAC a static ip 192.168.0.250

Third For the Gargoyle Repeater :
- Choose Wireless bridge/Repeater
- Connect Via Client Bridge >>> important
- Bridge ip : 192.168.2.1 >>> important (not 192.168.0.250 = virtual transparent network)
AP/Gateway ip : 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
SSID to Broadcast: same as SSID to join
Password : same as AP/Router wifi password

Now every thing should work and all goals should be achievable , From any device connected to the Router or the Repeater you can access :
The ISP Modem/Router at 192.168.1.1
The Gargoyle Router at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.2
The Gargoyle Repeater at 192.168.0.250

What if scenarios (again based on my trails not technical information ) :

1. changed the Router Wireless mode from AP only to AP + WDS
- it will work but not required for this method , go read the alternative method at the bottom for more information .

2. changed the repeater from Connect Via Client Bridge to Connect Via WDS
- every thing will work , Except you will lose access to the repeater using the ip 192.168.0.250 , as the router will never give the repeater an IP even if you configured a static ip for it's MAC , the only way to access the repeater will be by manually configuring the PC wifi ipv4 to a manual IP like 192.168.2.2 with a gateway 192.168.2.1 , then you can access the repeater at IP 192.168.2.1 but with no internet connection to both the device and the repeater .

3. changed the Bridge ip at configuration from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.0.250
- A big NO , the repeater will not work and you will have to hard reset it .

4. changed the SSID to Broadcast to another name
- every thing will work except you will have to configure every device for both SSIDs .

Alternative method :

If your router and repeater have very similar or identical hardware only then you can use this alternative method which may give you very lightly (could be very little and not sensible) improved speed , roaming , stability and real transparent network .

For Gargoyle Router :
- Wireless mode : AP + WDS

For Gargoyle Repeater :
- Bridge IP : 192.168.0.250 >>> important (not 192.168.2.1 = real transparent network)
- Connect Via WDS
Archer C7 V5 / Gargoyle 1.12.0
TL-WR1043ND V2 / Gargoyle 1.10.0
TL-WR841ND V9 / GArgoyle 1.10.0

ispyisail

Re: Best way to Configure Gargoyle Repeater With Same SSID

Post by ispyisail »

Thanks

pkkrusty

Post by pkkrusty »

Are you connecting only the modem and first router via cable? Everything else is connected wirelessly?

Andrew

thelordabdo

Post by thelordabdo »

pkkrusty wrote:Are you connecting only the modem and first router via cable? Everything else is connected wirelessly?

Andrew

Yes , just the modem and the first router .

The First router and the repeater (Second Router) will be connected wirelessly .
Archer C7 V5 / Gargoyle 1.12.0
TL-WR1043ND V2 / Gargoyle 1.10.0
TL-WR841ND V9 / GArgoyle 1.10.0