Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.11.0 for ipq806x architecture routers

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

pythonic

Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.11.0 for ipq806x architecture routers

Post by pythonic »

29October2019: This build withdrawn - superceded by a 1.11.x build.

Download archive: gargoyle-1.11.0-ipq806x-experimental.7z - NO LONG AVAILABLE

The above archive contains the images and packages generated from an experimental ipq806x target configuration for Gargoyle 1.11.0. The source was from Gargoyle's git repository at the 1.11.0 tag.

PLEASE NOTE: the above archive may be withdrawn or replaced by a later build at a future time due to limited website space...

Please see https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/ ... x/generic/ for a reference list of OpenWrt ipq806x target device images which this experimental package has attempted to match (except for the gargoyle-*-compex-wqp864-*.bin files which weren't built due to a typo - since fixed - in the target's profile_images file).

The only image I have tested is the TP-Link C2600 factory image, which installed via the factory firmware (v150924) upgrade function on a v1.0 C2600 without incident.

The router has run for more than 4 days now as my primary internet gateway behind a bridged VDSL2 modem with a PPPoE WAN interface. Both upstream and downstream QoS have been enabled as the upstream internet stream is subject
to severe bufferbloat - which Gargoyle's QoS appears to be controlling satisfactorily.

My testing has not been particularly comprehensive as my requirements are modest. In particular I haven't exercised the WiFi interfaces as I have no use for them most of the time.

With this configuration I have endeavoured to match the functionality configured for the Gargoyle mvebu target, which is the target with the most similarity to the ipq806x target in terms of hardware capability (e.g. CPU speed, available RAM and flash etc).

The archive includes the following subdirectories:
- built/ [contains all the packages built by the configuration]
- images/ [all firmware images generated]
- targets/ [configuration files for the ipq806x target]

The contents of the above subdirectories reflect the structure as built by Gargoyle's build script for the ipq806x default target.

All packages identified in the mvebu configuration with the configuration option "m" (i.e. "module", aka optional rather than included in the firmware image) have been included. As there is no current package repository available for the ipq806x target, my understanding is that desired optional packages will have to be installed by copying to the target router (e.g. by scp or WinSCP) and manually installing with the opkg command from an SSH session.

Support...

There are always risks associated with flashing firmware, especially third party firmware, so please carefully consider your circumstances before attempting to install one of these images and be prepared for the possibility of failure and the potential for your router to become unusable (aka "bricked"). Neither I or the Gargoyle team can accept any responsibility for such outcomes.

Unfortunately I cannot practically support this experimental release - despite having been able to assemble a configuration and build at least 1 apparently usable firmware image, I lack a lot of knowledge about router hardware and have extremely limited experience with Gargoyle itself.

If you have a question about installing these images, please refer in the first instance to the relevant OpenWrt hardware page for your router as what is written there for OpenWrt applies to installing Gargoyle. You should consider installing OpenWrt before installing any of these experimental Gargoyle images; you should then be able to install the respective Gargoyle "sysupgrade" image via OpenWrt's firmware upgrade
function - all being well. If in doubt, don't attempt to install one of these images.

For questions specific to this experirmental build, please post a followup to this thread. You may get lucky with someone able to provide assistance.

If you have questions about Gargoyle's interface or general functionality, queries should be addressed to an appropriate section of Gargoyle's user forum.

Successful installations of these images should also be reported by posting a followup to this thread, so that Gargoyle's maintainers can evaluate whether there's enough interest in the ipq806x target to use this experimental build as a basis for adding full support for at least some ipq806x devices to future Gargoyle releases.

Good luck!
pythonic

screenshot - TP-Link C2600 v1.0

Change log
28April2019: Initial build released
12June2019: Updated build to include patch for IMQ related NAT issue as discussed here - no other changes were made to the build configuration. This build has been briefly tested (several days uptime as of this writing) on a Netgear D7800 configured identically to the TP-Link Archer C2600 v1.0 tested with the original build. The updated patch file used in the build has been included in the download archive.
29October2019: Build withdrawn - superceded by 1.11.x build.
Last edited by pythonic on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lantis

Re: Experimental build of Gargoyle 1.11.0 for ipq806x architecture routers

Post by Lantis »

Thanks, this looks really good.
I'd like to see some extra reports of success/failure first of course, but I can take a look at the config/profile you have built if you would like some feedback so far?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Lantis wrote:I'd like to see some extra reports of success/failure first of course,
Me too ;)
Lantis wrote:but I can take a look at the config/profile you have built if you would like some feedback so far?
That would be appreciated.

mlira1

Post by mlira1 »

Thank you, I really appreciate this. I'll test it on a R7800 unit in a couple hours.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Thanks for your patience, i've had a look. Overall pretty good. I have the following comments:
- Lines 43-46 should be removed
- Lines 48-311 should be removed
- New line after 2514 "CONFIG_PACKAGE_plugin-gargoyle-i18n-Czech-CS=m"
- Lines 4507-4523 need the keyword "gargoyle" added in a few spots
- - "CONFIG_PACKAGE_openvpn-*" becomes "CONFIG_PACKAGE_openvpn-gargoyle-*"
- - "CONFIG_OPENVPN_openssl_*" becomes "CONFIG_OPENVPN_gargoyle_openssl_*"
- Line 4830 becomes "obfsproxy-legacy"

Most of these comments have come about because you pulled from the 1.11.0 tag rather than the latest master, so that's a pretty good effort :)
Like i said, i'd like to see a few user reports of success, however i'd be happy to merge this with those minor changes.
If you're comfortable with git and would like to submit it, go ahead. Otherwise i can do it for you.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Lantis wrote:Thanks for your patience, i've had a look.
No worries, I'm not in a hurry... ;). My C2600 has now been up as my primary gateway for over 12 days with no problems, though it is hardly stressed.
Lantis wrote:Most of these comments have come about because you pulled from the 1.11.0 tag rather than the latest master, so that's a pretty good effort :)
Thanks! 8-)
Lantis wrote:Like i said, i'd like to see a few user reports of success,
Yes, so would I. Unfortunately I can't track downloads of the archive so have no idea just how many copies might have been taken so far... :(
Lantis wrote:however i'd be happy to merge this with those minor changes. If you're comfortable with git and would like to submit it, go ahead. Otherwise i can do it for you.
Sadly I know just enough git to clone something, specify a branch for building and pull updates... :oops: So if you would I'd prefer that you submit anything you wish to use.

mlira1

Post by mlira1 »

Hello, sorry for the delay ;)

The build booted on my R7800 and I observed the following:

- WAN connection under PPPoE appeared to be successful at the GUI, but I couldn't estabilish any connection

- Wireless connections are working, 5ghz didn't work on channel 149 (World domain)

- USB mounting was successful with ntfs, fat32 and ext4 filesystems

- Power, Internet and USB storage LEDs are working. LAN and Wireless LEDs are not

- SSH is working successfully, so I retrieved logread and dmesg as follows on google drive folder https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NQl7M ... WFjEhfj3EP
(I uploaded it because I couln't attach as it would give me incorrect filetype error, nor could I paste it as code as it would surpass maximum characters limit)

UPDATE

I just tested the connection with double NAT setup: modem (configured as bridge previously) as router and R7800's WAN as DHCP.

This resulted in no internet connection as well, so it shouldn't be a PPPoE related issue. Added new logcat and dmesg differentiating between dhcp and pppoe just in case.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

mlira1 wrote:Hello, sorry for the delay ;)

No probs, thanks for taking the time to test and report results. Sorry that didn't you get some more success for the effort! :(

I looked at your logs but nothing really stands out compared to the bootlog on the OpenWrt R7800 device page. I'm just curious whether you've run OpenWrt 18.06.0 or later on this router at all?

In your logs the DHCP WAN does seem to discover an address (192.168.15.3 on interface "wan")...
mlira1 wrote:The build booted on my R7800 and I observed the following:

- WAN connection under PPPoE appeared to be successful at the GUI, but I couldn't estabilish any connection
That is quite disappointing! Other than the initial connection attempt failing because no apparent response arrives from the access concentrator, according to the logs, I can't offer any suggestions :(.
mlira1 wrote:- Power, Internet and USB storage LEDs are working. LAN and Wireless LEDs are not
Power, internet and switch port LEDs appear to be working on the C2600 but haven't tested the WiFi so don't know about those LEDs yet.

mlira1

Post by mlira1 »

pythonic wrote:No probs, thanks for taking the time to test and report results. Sorry that didn't you get some more success for the effort! :(
Testing is fun too ;)
pythonic wrote: I'm just curious whether you've run OpenWrt 18.06.0 or later on this router at all?
Yes, I'm running KONG's OpenWRT 18.06 build with no issues
pythonic wrote: In your logs the DHCP WAN does seem to discover an address (192.168.15.3 on interface "wan")...
Indeed, that's the address given to the router. DHCP appears to be fine, but no connection. I wonder if this is some kind of firewall issue.
pythonic wrote:That is quite disappointing! Other than the initial connection attempt failing because no apparent response arrives from the access concentrator, according to the logs, I can't offer any suggestions :(.
maybe we should wait for some other inputs then! Don't know if I'm missing anything on the config, but it seems it's the exact setup I made on a WR1043ND V1 with Gargoyle.
pythonic wrote: Power, internet and switch port LEDs appear to be working on the C2600 but haven't tested the WiFi so don't know about those LEDs yet.
I wouldn't worry about this at the moment :D

neatomos

Post by neatomos »

Regarding the WAN getting an address and LAN not getting out.

I had a similar episode but based on the Edgerouter-X running OpenWRT and I flashed Gargoyle on it and didn't keep any settings. Was issued an address on WAN but nothing got out.

The oddity for me was that I was able to SSH into the router and ping out from the router but not from any of the LAN connections.

Oddly enough, a secondary reset via the reset button seemed to work things out and it happily ran Gargoyle.