Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

fifonik

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Post by fifonik »

I'm skeptical about these results... CPU utilization > 1 means that QoS just cannot work properly, imho.

top_s

Post by top_s »

fifonik wrote:I'm skeptical about these results... CPU utilization > 1 means that QoS just cannot work properly, imho.
Your concern makes sense, at least in theory. In real life, I can play Starcrat II with insignificant increase in response times with loads of 3.XX and above. GUI is very unresponsive on theese kind of scenario though.

Probably a more experienced user could help. I'm just a noob :geek:
WDR4300 v1 (stock)
WR941nd v2 (1.9.2)
WA901nd v2 (1.6.2)
2x WR741nd (1.6.2)

(Up to) 1gbps up/down link

top_s

Post by top_s »

danielwritesback wrote: Full port speed, or full port speed minus 14.4% QOS margin (If the automatic is on, you can specify up to 14.4% higher wan speed for Download QOS, thereby achieving full throughput, probably).
These speeds are just really amazing on the 400mhz GLinet AR150. I wonder how many wifi clients it can hold up, simultaneously, while still maintaining maximum wan throughput?
Hey Daniel!
Unfortunatelly, I tryed bandwith limits above the port speed. 84mbps was the hard limit with QOS on, no matter what.

Keep in mind this was done with top rolling via SSH and GUI open in chrome in QOS (Download) tab. It refreshes about every second and consumes CPU resourses. Also, top alone would consume almost 7% of cpu resources.

"Clean", these results could be better.
WDR4300 v1 (stock)
WR941nd v2 (1.9.2)
WA901nd v2 (1.6.2)
2x WR741nd (1.6.2)

(Up to) 1gbps up/down link

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Just as a clarification for comments on Whirlpool forums, Gargoyle handles preserving settings just fine.

The reason I specify that these builds are not recommended to preserve settings, is because things can change with the kernel and userland when I’m rapidly fixing functionality which may cause incompatibility.
In actual fact, I don’t believe any of the changes I made did cause any incompatibilities between RCs. However, the disclaimer is there because:
- I do not want to have to individually debug the minutiae of every user’s settings when something goes wrong
- whilst going between the different RC’s is fine, coming from any 1.10.x to any 1.11.x is not. I can’t guarantee that people are following the RCs in order, so the warning stays.

I don’t have a presence on Whirlpool, nor do I want one, but Gargoyle is a semi-regular topic over there and hence why I feel the above clarification is needed.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

+1

Well said

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

I mentioned on Whirlpool that gargoyle does not handle preserving settings good enough.

The only reason I did it because it was mentioned in the forum too many times and I've seen that people said than preserving settings caused some issues while upgrading between some recent RCs.

I personally never experienced such issues when I preserved settings. However, because all recommendations not to preserve settings I'm trying not to do this. This is also a reason not to upgrade to a new version ASAP because I do not know how to upgrade without preserving settings and to keep quota & BW usage (I read some suggestions, tried them but never succeeded).

I updated my post on Whirlpool and added some explanation. Sorry.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No need to apologise for an opinion. We’ve all got them!
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

The only reason I did it because it was mentioned in the forum too many times and I've seen that people said than preserving settings caused some issues while upgrading between some recent RCs.
There is so much truth in this statement.

I can remember a time before "preserve settings" feature was available.

People kept moaning that they needed this feature and it was a stock openwrt feature etc etc

Eric wasn't keen, I suspect he knew there were going to be problems.

If it were me I would get rid of the "preserve settings" feature but people would moan again.

danielwritesback

Post by danielwritesback »

top_s wrote:Hey Daniel! Unfortunately, I tryed bandwith limits above the port speed. 84mbps was the hard limit with QOS on, no matter what. Keep in mind this was done with top rolling via SSH and GUI open in chrome in QOS (Download) tab. It refreshes about every second and consumes CPU resources. Also, top alone would consume almost 7% of cpu resources. "Clean", these results could be better.
The services plugin and editing the list of mandatory services down to a shorter list for de-bloating, (there's posts on that, although no minimum services list), could be an interesting *gamble* for a router with a slower cpu. Streamlining the services may or may not help. You can tell some merit by average ram utilization, because if it didn't go down, then you may want to undo the changes (backup file before edit).
Conveniently, you'll be able to manually start bwmon for use when you need it. I sure would like that functionality on the same page as the graphs, but it isn't.
Edit: P.S.
This notion didn't work on my Archer--no difference in ram utilization, no difference in responsiveness speeds; however, it supercharged my DIR835, 8mb ram saved, and I've never seen an Atheros go that fast on web browsing responsiveness. Much amazement!
Last edited by danielwritesback on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waterspuwer

Post by Waterspuwer »

I like the ability to keep settings, but not everything is restored at the moment, perhaps that would be something to fix as it would bring it close to perfection. It is only in some minor areas. What I've noticed isn't restored:
- plugin source list.
- plugins itself.
- web usage monitor keeps getting enabled.

RC5 is very stable so far,
Uptime: 12 days, 22 hours, 30 minutes