Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

sigwx

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Post by sigwx »

sigwx wrote:It also appears that for no reason I'm only able to get 5-10Mbps download (I was getting over 300Mbps last week) over ethernet. If I remove the router and connect direct, I get closer to 200Mbps. I'm using a WRT1900ACS and its been fine before.... I've rebooted a couple times, but still no bandwidth improvement. Very strange...
Appears for this, the QoS got turned on in both directions, which was off before.... and I don't remember turning it on :shock:

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

I got something like this a few times when QoS Download ACC was switched ON. Pressing "Reset Fair Link Limit" button did not help. Tried different targets (ISPs, google DNS) with no changes. The issue is gone since I switched the ACC OFF.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Gus wrote:
Lantis wrote:I’ll see if I can reproduce locally. Thank you
If you want me to send you any file just ask
I’m not sure about it “appearing disabled” in the GUI, as the error in your log is only triggered if the GUI thinks it is enabled. Can you confirm that you mean that the checkbox is unticked?

Can you try the following please:
- uninstall Gargoyle-plugin-upnp (to start fresh)
- reinstall plugin
- check if /etc/uci-defaults/99-miniupnpd exists
- if it does, run it (sh /etc/uci-defaults/99-miniupnpd) and then delete it. If it doesn’t exist, stop here and let me know.
- go to Gargoyle GUI, enable upnp and save settings

It should work following those steps, if it does not, please report back.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Gus

Post by Gus »

Lantis wrote:
Gus wrote:
Lantis wrote:I’ll see if I can reproduce locally. Thank you
If you want me to send you any file just ask
I’m not sure about it “appearing disabled” in the GUI, as the error in your log is only triggered if the GUI thinks it is enabled. Can you confirm that you mean that the checkbox is unticked?

Can you try the following please:
- uninstall Gargoyle-plugin-upnp (to start fresh)
- reinstall plugin
- check if /etc/uci-defaults/99-miniupnpd exists
- if it does, run it (sh /etc/uci-defaults/99-miniupnpd) and then delete it. If it doesn’t exist, stop here and let me know.
- go to Gargoyle GUI, enable upnp and save settings

It should work following those steps, if it does not, please report back.
What I meant with appearing disabled is I enable it by ticking the checkbox and save changes but as soon as I refresh de page it shows up as unticked.

I tried to follow the steps you described, after uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin the file 99-miniupnpd was there and I ran it and deleted it. Then tried to enable upnp in the GUI but happens the same as before, I tick the box, save changes and as soon as I refresh the page or access it again it shows up as disabled.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Do you have a miniupnpd file at /etc/rc.d and what S number is in front of it?
What is shown by
uci get upnpd.config.enable_upnp
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

sigwx wrote:I've not rebooted since Dec 29th, and noticed that if I try to view 'Days' for the Bandwidth Distribution, I only see December 31 ... a glitch dealing with the new year? I can hold off rebooting if there is some debugging I could with it in this state...

Months gives me November, December and January.
Tried a reboot, and same thing. 'Days' only shows December 31, 'Months' gives me January, December, and November. The monthly data from January and December looks good, but I need to see the daily stats for January and they don't show up. Looking at the logs from the router, I get the following error when I attempt to view daily stats:

Code: Select all

Jan 10 14:46:21 Gargoyle uhttpd[3826]: ERROR: Bandwidth query failed, make sure rule with specified id exists, and that you are performing only one query at a time.

Gus

Post by Gus »

Lantis wrote:Do you have a miniupnpd file at /etc/rc.d and what S number is in front of it?
What is shown by
uci get upnpd.config.enable_upnp
There are two miniupnpd files: K15miniupnpd and S94miniupnpd. "uci get upnpd.config.enable_upnp" outputs a 1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The s94 is the issue.
That’s the new version of miniupnpd.

I’m currently writing code to fix a few things related to that. That change snuck in halfway through RC5 (I think mvebu is ok, but ar71xx isn’t).

You’ll just need to wait sorry, I’m testing locally and will let you know when I’ve got a test build available for you to try.

danielwritesback

Post by danielwritesback »

Multicast wifi, 10 of chromecast-audio/home devices playing one audio program simulcast, was adversely affected by 6 megabit wifi transmit speed for all chromecast/home devices connected.

The sum of 60 is less than half of the requirement. Much skipping/gaps in the audio.

However one old E2000 set on 5ghz-only can do it with 70 megabits extra wifi capacity to spare.

Weird, right? The spare/unutilized capacity of the E2000 was greater than the full output of the Archer+Gargoyle. Both were used as AP's (wan port empty/disabled).

For ap-use, especially multimedia, I need as close as possible to basic mac-level forwarding from lan to wifi (as close as possible to an ordinary switch).

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

Wildcats198311 wrote:I am only having problem if switch WiFi off and on a few times in a row... I know this isn’t a common thing and most will turn it on and leave it on. It just happened that I figured I should do other settings first after I turned it on the first time then had the problem when turned it back off. (I have limited internet, and wanted to set some of my devices up for Quota limit). After I finally got the router to allow me to be re-flashed and had a chance to, I turned WiFi off and on 2-3 times and had the problem again... after that I haven’t turned if off after turning it back on. Had no issues for 9-10 hours or so.
On my MyNet N750, either the 2.4 or 5GHz WiFi network will fail randomly after a few days (stop transmitting data)... usually after a week. I use different SSID for each, and use QoS. Apart from that I don't install anything else.

I went back to 1.10 which runs solid nonstop for months (although, both 2.4/5GHz range is much weaker on 1.10... max of 20 dbm per GUI... 5GHz can reach the whole house on 1.11 but half the house on 1.10).

The only observation I can tell is when we went out of the county for two weeks the WiFi worked fine on 1.11 (doorbell and all connected devices kept working... returned home to good WiFi). But once we all arrived, it failed that same day within two hours. So maybe a device is causing this in 1.11?
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.