[BROKEN] Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 3

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sgt-Greco

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 3

Post by Sgt-Greco »

rseiler wrote:Yes, the wndrmacv2 is.

Sgt-Greco, what did you find with that URL?
If you mean regarding plugins, just as it's been said before. Some of them are huge files compared to RC2. Others (like themes for example) are the same as RC2.

Waterspuwer

Post by Waterspuwer »

Just registered here to report some issues. I've never used Gargoyle before so bear with me.
I started with a very old prerelease version that would not save Wi-Fi settings. Then I found a newer version, which did work. Today I noticed RC3 existed (and RC1 and RC2 :D).

My router is a TP-Link Archer C7 v4.

With the pre-RC1/beta version I had installed, I added gargoyle-router .com/packages/gargoyle-1.9.1/ar71xx/default as plugin source so I could install "WiFi scheduling for Gargoyle". This seemed to work (at least I could set up everything and manual disable/enable worked). In beta version this wasn't available anymore in default plugin lists. It would be nice of this package could be re-added to 1.11.0 so it's possible to turn off Wi-Fi during the night.

But in RC3 I'm unable to install these due to all packages being detected as 10MB+ (which should mostly all be around 10KB I think). So I've now downgraded to RC2 and that is detecting the sizes correctly. So that's one issue I've noticed.

Another issue, if I add 'gargoyle-router .com/packages/gargoyle-1.9.1/ar71xx/default' as a source, I'm unable to remove it. I would like to remove this source as I noticed gargoyle-router .com/packages/gargoyle-1.10/ar71xx/default/ exists as well.

One thing I do miss in Gargoyle is a PPTP server and/or HTTPS proxy server. Not a huge miss but with the other privacy related options (OpenVPN and Tor) it'd be very nice to have :D The advantages of those is that pretty much everything supports PPTP and HTTPS proxy. OpenVPN is limited.

As far as the rest goes, it looks very solid and I really like the offered features. It's a much more accessible firmware than OpenWRT, which I had installed first but didn't like at all due to the 'way too much to configure' mentality. I don't need to be able (and want to) configure every possible thing.

Hope this helps, if you need help with anything, please let me know and I'll try my best. Thanks for all the hard work on this project, it's appreciated :D

Waterspuwer

Post by Waterspuwer »

One last thing, 40MHz doesn't work, it always uses 20MHz (you can check with free Wi-FiAnalyzer app in Android).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Waterspuwer wrote:One last thing, 40MHz doesn't work, it always uses 20MHz (you can check with free Wi-FiAnalyzer app in Android).
40MHz works as per the specification, which you can research, and then ask questions if you are still unsure.
This thread is a good summary:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10757&p=43702&hili ... our#p43702
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The issue this time is that in fixing the typo here:
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... fb638c1a8c
I uncovered a bit of bad behaviour from that patch, which essentially makes Gargoyle *forget* what packages it has installed.

It all boils down to "libc" being "missing", but you all have it.

So, lets go to RC4.
Apologies everyone, i'll get it there eventually. I appreciate your patience and testing.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Waterspuwer

Post by Waterspuwer »

Lantis wrote:
Waterspuwer wrote:One last thing, 40MHz doesn't work, it always uses 20MHz (you can check with free Wi-FiAnalyzer app in Android).
40MHz works as per the specification, which you can research, and then ask questions if you are still unsure.
This thread is a good summary:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10757&p=43702&hili ... our#p43702
Thank you, wasn't aware of that, it makes sense indeed.

One more thing, I noticed that 2.4GHz doesn't always (say 95% of times) come online on channels 7 and higher when you reboot (or turn off router and turn on again). It works correctly on channel 6 and lower, but that's very crowded segment over here so I'd like to put it higher (9-13). After it's once started correctly, I can increase the channel and it works (but not after reboot).

Not sure if it helps, but these are my settings:

I'll further experiment with it to see if I can get higher channels to work.

Waterspuwer

Re: [BROKEN] Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 3

Post by Waterspuwer »

Further testing, channel 12,13 and 14 are never able to start. Channel 11 (and I suspect 10 and lower as well - untested) seems to work if you put in the combination with 20MHz. Anything with 40 MHz doesn't start (except if it has been started correctly at least once).

A little testing further I noticed that channel 9 and lower seem to start OK with '40MHz 2nd chan. below' (not with above), but channel 10+ don't.

One time I saw a small 'flicker' of life on 13th channel. It appeared once in available networks and I think the router then restarted as it took a good minute before the 5GHz was up again.

Hope this somehow helps. For now I've put channel on 9 with 40MHz 2nd chan. below.

---

Adding plugin sources doesn't accept a "." in it by the way, whereas the 'predefined' sources do. Would be nice to able to put points in :geek:

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

ar71xx users can now try RC4 before it is fully ready
http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_1.11.x_rc4/

The plugin issue should now be fixed. Please report back if it is not. Any other feedback for RC4, please hold until i make a proper thread for it in a few days time.
Thanks.

JohnPeterson

Post by JohnPeterson »

RC4 on TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 plugins working - 8-)

buggers

Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 4 [BROKEN]

Post by buggers »

Upgraded from RC3 without preserving the old configuration on a WNDR3700v1.
Added as a custom plugin source:

Code: Select all

http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_1.11.x_rc4/ar71xx/default
The only visible entries in the plugin list, following a refresh, are:

plugin-gargoyle-i18n-English-EN
plugin-gargoyle-usb-storage-noshare
However, I get no error through SSH:

root@Gargoyle:~# gpkg update
Downloading package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_telephony source...
Package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_telephony downloaded successfully.

Downloading package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_routing source...
Package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_routing downloaded successfully.

Downloading package list for gargoyle source...
Package list for gargoyle downloaded successfully.

Downloading package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_packages source...
Package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_packages downloaded successfully.

Downloading package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_base source...
Package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_base downloaded successfully.

Downloading package list for gargoyle_1-11-x_rc4_ar71xx_default source...
Package list for gargoyle_1-11-x_rc4_ar71xx_default downloaded successfully.

Downloading package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_management source...
Package list for openwrt_18.06-snapshot_management downloaded successfully.
Rebooting the router makes no difference…