Information request

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Walton

Information request

Post by Walton »

Hi form Australia,
Not sure where to post this so trying in this forum.
I have had a request to help a friend with a Gargoyle implementation.
I have had success with WNDR3800's and I think my friend only needs "N" WiFi (to be confirmed).
I have just come across a WNDR3700V4 which I didn't know existed.
Does anyone have any issues with these? I see they are Gargoyle compliant so it seems like a good option for my friend.
Thanks in advance

Lantis

Re: Information request

Post by Lantis »

If you want to mildly future proof your friend:
- go to AC wireless
- get a device that will handle ~100mbps with QoS enabled so that when the NBN comes around they won’t need to spend additional money

If you want to ignore both of those, then the WNDR3700 v4 should be fine.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Walton

Post by Walton »

Thanks for your reply Lantis,

I'll talk to me friend over Winter. A couple of points though. The 3700V4 are on clearance for AUD$60.
The router is to be situated 4 hours from his home.
Do we really want a Linksys or C7 there unattended, they can get a bit hot can't they.
And being in Australia at a remote site, the internet speed will be 12mbps maximum.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If it’s in a relatively well ventilated area heat shouldn’t be a big issue.
Sitting in a tin shed in the Australian sun would not be ideal of course.

NBN satellite still should provide 25mbps, although this speed is very doable on most routers. Of course the customer could opt for the 12mbps connection.

But it sounds like handling high speeds and future proofing may not be high on the agenda, so picking up a bargain router is probably no issue for your use case :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

guyso

Post by guyso »

Hi Walton

For your info I am in Sydney and running a WNDR3700V4 right now. I'm using the 13 November 2017 build posted by ispyisail (1.10.X (Built 20171112-0128 git@2219e41)) and it has been rock solid for months. Wifi 2.4GHz coverage is good IMHO, though 5GHz is ordinary and of course no AC mode. I understand the WiFi performance can vary a bit between devices.

I have 30mbps Optus broadband with the Optus Modem in Bridge Mode and can easily get full speed based on Ookla speedtest. During the speedtest my CPU usage as reported by Gargoyle never seems to go above about 20%. I also have a 1gig file download test I use and during this my CPU usage sits even lower with a consistent 30mbps throughput. Not sure if I am correctly interpreting the CPU usage figures from Gargoyle, but it seems there is plenty of horsepower left even at 30mbps. Also memory usage is sitting at about 16%. I am not using QOS right now, though I did switch it on for a bit and tried the 1gig test and cpu usage stayed low. I did not have ACC switched on.

During summer the computer room got hot enough to be uncomfortable, I would guess up to around 30C. The router sits in the open air and never missed a beat. The only problem I have ever had was a plug pack power supply failing some time ago. This turned out to be bulged capacitors and after replacing the capacitors all was good again. The plug pack and router were second hand so I would say this plug pack had seen many hours use.

Based on my experiences I am happy with the WNDR3700V4 and am even looking for another one as a backup. I found mine on eBay for about $30Aus. Good luck with your project.
Netgear WNDR3700 v1 and v2 and v4
Linksys WRT1900ACS

Walton

Post by Walton »

Thank you guyso,

End of the day, it's not my money.

Thanks for your reply.

encro

Post by encro »

I'm using a NetComm WNDR3700v4 also but with NBN 50/20.

I'm always at peak throughput as far as I can tell, CPU demands are usually low, 0.25 / 0.05 / 0.02 (1/5/15 minutes) with 5 rules and 4 classes on download and 3 rules and 2 classes for upload.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410