gargoyle-ispy 2018-February-14 21:09

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: gargoyle-ispy 2018-February-14 21:09

Post by Lantis »

For the search problem: as per the commit notes, we can’t match the extension to the URL, only the domain itself. The extension is only sent after the link is fully encrypted. (It’s also not defined in the list of sites to attempt to skim searches from. So even if searches were unencrypted it wouldn’t show up)

As for blocking YouTube, I had a similar issue as Facebook. I think there’s probably two or three URLs which need to be blocked.

Good tutorial for Facebook. Looks like you found a third domain which I didn’t
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Rog66 wrote:ok - even in a hex editor my restrictions.js looks nothing like that for some reason . Have created 2 new rules without editing and youtube is also blocked for both apps and browser by adding "domain contains youtube" Fantastic !!!!
You’ll have the “minified” version.
Still possible to do but very hard to read.
Might be better to replace it with the full version from the source code and then modify it.

Or wait for next build which should have the fix.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

Have downloded the raw file and made the change to restrictions.js and rebooted but am still getting the same problem

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I've created a rule to block youtube

I have firefox and chrome installed

reboot my PC and use both browsers to access youtube

chrome = unblocked
firefox = blocked

Its like google chrome has stored the encryption key and can no longer be blocked?

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

not sure its cache - I ran ccleaner to clear all caches and chrome still finds YouTube whereas IE and firefox don't :-(

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I wonder if they have hard baked the encryption key into google chrome?

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

ispyisail wrote:I wonder if they have hard baked the encryption key into google chrome?
It does something; maybe it runs Google DNS on its own because in the past when router based Adblock would kill a website, my sister would always use Chrome to get around the issue.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

Yes if I block all external DNS (block port 53) chrome cant get to YouTube. As soon as I remove this Chrome can find YouTube but IE and Mozilla cant. As long as you're using the gargoyle router as your DNS you can block port 53 on the required hosts to overcome this.

Also despite rebooting not fixing the edit code yesterday when I made the changes Lantis suggested - this morning it seems to have resolved itself - must have been user error.

This change has fixed an issue I have had for ages - thanks Lantis !!!

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I wonder if this has any effect?

edit: tested, didn't work

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Yes if I block all external DNS (block port 53) chrome cant get to YouTube
Can you show us a screen shot of how you did this?

My tests didn't work?