Archer C7 V2 + Gargoyle 1.9.2 + USB tethering: SUCCESS

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Juanca

Archer C7 V2 + Gargoyle 1.9.2 + USB tethering: SUCCESS

Post by Juanca »

Dear reader.
This is to document how I managed to USB tether an TP-Link Archer C7 to an Android phone using Gargoyle 1.9.2 following a few simple steps from a post in the OpenWrt forum (you may Google "USB Tethering to an OpenWrt router" as I can't post a direct link).

Please be advised I won't be able to answer questions you might have as I am a perfect noob at Linux in all it's many flavors. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member may be able to help you, should you have any problems.

This is what I did.

Step 1:
Started with a fresh clean install of Gargoyle 1.9.2 on the TP-Link Archer C7 v2 router.
This software image already includes USB basic support.

Step 2:
SSH into the router and installed tethering packages by issuing these commands at the command line prompt:

Code: Select all

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-net-rndis kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether usbutils udev
Some of the packages are already installed, so the installer will just provide a warning message and skip them.

Step 3:
Connect the phone to the router via USB (I used port #2) and enabled USB tethering on your phone.

Step 4:
Modified network configuration file (/etc/config/network).
By default this file maps your WAN logical interface to your physical WAN ethernet port. You need to map the WAN interface to the USB0 interface.
At the CLI prompt entered this:

Code: Select all

uci del network.wan
uci set network.wan=interface
uci set network.wan.ifname=usb0
uci set network.wan.proto=dhcp
uci commit network
ifup wan
After doing this, my router got an IP address for its WAN from my android phone and my LAN devices are surfing the internet flawlessly.

Regards.

tapper

Re: Archer C7 V2 + Gargoyle 1.9.2 + USB tethering: SUCCESS

Post by tapper »

Nice post thanks.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

whats_up_skip

Post by whats_up_skip »

Thank you for posting this.

It would be really great if this was an add on option and supported in the GUI so it was easier to switch between tethered to an Android and the primary WAN.

This is way beyond my programming skills.

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

Has there been any movement on this? I've been frustrated of late with my ISP being in yo-yo mode (up/down/up/down...). The fallback I would like to use is to tether my Android phone to the router via one of it's USB ports (Archer C7 V2), or alternatively pop out the SIM, put it in a 4G USB modem (say a Huawei E3372) and then plug into the USB port of the modem. However, I don't really want to have to go into the console and have to switch things around. Is there an automatic fallback that can be set, so if the link to the internet drops, then it switches to using the USB modem automatically?
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W