Dual WAN/Multi WAN

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

whats_up_skip

Dual WAN/Multi WAN

Post by whats_up_skip »

I am a little surprised that this hasn't been requested or at least not as often. I understand OpenWRT does have this capability, but I am not sure how hard it would be to integrate this into Gargoyle.

Ideally an option would be to have a USB based 4G connection with an Ethernet connection in a load balancing form.

Thanks again to all the hard work done by the developers.

ispyisail

Re: Dual WAN/Multi WAN

Post by ispyisail »

yeah, probably and advanced openwrt project.

Gargoyle is more for the home user or small SOHO

whats_up_skip

Post by whats_up_skip »

ispyisail wrote:yeah, probably and advanced openwrt project.

Many home users, SOHO and small business want this feature these days particularly with the growth of IoT. If their primary connection fails they still want to be able to check security cameras to make sure there is not a greater problem.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

whats_up_skip wrote:
ispyisail wrote:yeah, probably and advanced openwrt project.

Many home users, SOHO and small business want this feature these days particularly with the growth of IoT. If their primary connection fails they still want to be able to check security cameras to make sure there is not a greater problem.
No doubt

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is doable. Its very easy on openwrt.
Integrating it into Gargoyle would be a lot more tricky. I would really like to do it but i haven't had time.

If you had the time to investigate that would be fantastic.

If you wanted to set it up manually, you could investigate the package mwan3. You would have to set it up using the command line and ignore the gargoyle GUI.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Lantis wrote:If you wanted to set it up manually, you could investigate the package mwan3.
I thought using mwan3 on Gargoyle would mess up the bandwidth tracking, QoS and other features due to the design of Gargoyle to work with a single wan connection?

Has anyone tried using mwan3 on Gargoyle and does it work as expected?
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

ektus

Post by ektus »

That's a feature that would come in handy for me. I've got a problem with the main LTE connection being broken for a week now (LTE tower failure), and would like to automatically switch to the tethered connection on a smartphone when available. Doing so manually works, but if I'm not at home it should work automatically. I do not need both connections active concurrently, but switch to wireless client if the WAN connection is down (no internet access, the LTE router is always there), and switch back once the Android phone goes offline (regardless if the WAN connection is up or not).

Any news in this regard?

Ektus.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

ektus wrote:do not need both connections active concurrently, but switch to wireless client if the WAN connection is down
Wrong topic. What you have asked is already discussed elsewhere and solutions posted by users a long time ago, e.g. https://itbusters.wordpress.com/2013/02 ... -wr1043nd/
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

vineapple3332

Post by vineapple3332 »

I understand that primitive Solutions had been suggested a long time ago, however if users like myself find this tooic years later and it is still relevant, then the problem hasn't been really addressed.

What myself and I'm sure other users are looking for is a graphical user interface that is easy to use and manage. Basically I am looking to be able to do "if then that functionality" with my bandwidth management, and load balancing using multiple internet providers.

Here are some examples of what a home user / small business user might use load balancing to accomplish.

1) All traffic goes through the WAN unless that source is disconnected. In that case all traffic goes through LTE modem. When the WAN is connected again return to using it rather than LTE modem.

2) All traffic goes through the WAN unless that source is disconnected. In that case all traffic on SSID ONE except Netflix and YouTube goes through LTE modem. When the WAN is connected again return to using it rather than LTE modem. All traffic on SSID TWO and Netflix/YouTube traffic on SSID ONE does not fall over and use LTE during an outage.

3) A user that lives in Rural America has a very slow internet connection with unlimited bandwidth and a fast LTE connection with data cap. This user creates a series of "if then that" rules to maximum the use of these Internet sources but not incur bandwidth overages.

4) A user that lives in Rural America has a very slow internet connection and uses an LTE connection in tandem with a wired connection at a 25% LTE and 75% DSL ratio. Combining the bandwith in this manner increases the usability all of the slow DSL connection well at the same time maximizing the usage of the high-speed LTE data allotment. Once the LTE high speed data allotment is reached throttled bandwidth still continues to improve the overall speed.