IPv6

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

brijenjas

IPv6

Post by brijenjas »

First let me say I am glad I found this router firmware as I was in need of bandwidth usage monitoring and you have it built in and it is very easy to find usage.

Also, your entire user interface is very easy to navigate and use.

I'm assuming Gargoyle firmware does not support IPv6 at this time because I can't find any options for it in the GUI or any documentation anywhere else. (Maybe I missed it?)

Will future firmwares at some point support IPv6?

I am running Gargoyle 1.9.0 on TP-Link Archer C7 v2.

Thanks,
Brian

ispyisail

Re: IPv6

Post by ispyisail »

Code: Select all

Will future firmwares at some point support IPv6?
I can't see it in the near future, but who knows

At the current point of time i'm not sure what the advantage would be?

future is a different story

Marlow

Post by Marlow »

- The IPv4 pool has been depleted 4 years ago in the RIPE region (2012). APNIC region 2 years ago.
- ISPs can't get any more IPv4 addresses from RIPE.
- IPv6 has been defined 20 years ago.
- ISPs are now using IP stacking for IPv4 (where 4 or more users share the same IPv4 address) due to the lack of IPv4 addresses being available.

This is not a question about advantages. This is a question of simply waking up and implementing a protocol, that should have been mandatory over 10 years ago. Nevermind that the train now has left.

The biggest hinderness in getting IPv6 out to the end users is the lack of support in residential routers. Even TP-Link have copped on and have full support and factory enabled in a lot of their routers now.

As ISPs migrate to IPv6, you won't be able to access IPv6 addressed hosts from an IPv4 hosts. You can however access IPv4 hosts from an IPv6 host, if the ISP has NAT64 facilities in place.

/M

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It's a big thing to implement. It's on my list somewhere of nice to have things.

Legacy IPv4 bridging protocols and tunnels won't disappear for a long time I expect.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Gargoyle users,

Just out of curiosity, this question was asked almost 3 years ago. I am wondering, has there been any work or discussion as to what would be required in pursuance of adding IPv6 to Gargoyle?

By the way, I am currently asking only from the narrow purview of obtaining (DHCPing) a WAN facing address via IPv6 not LAN support for IPv6 and being able to choose to not route to the WAN via IPv4 or only do so if IPv6 is not available.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes i'm working on it, but i'm not advertising as such because it is still months away.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

People might be wondering why it's so quiet around here lately.
I promise that i'm busier than ever implementing IPv6.
It is still a few months away, and there will be bugs, but it is coming.
I've just made a large milestone which is rewriting the bandwidth monitoring module.

Blue line is the total bandwidth for that device.
Red is the IPv4 traffic.
Green is the IPv6 traffic.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

+1

rockyd

Post by rockyd »

Great to read that, been checking and hoping for that to happen for a long time.

blueacid

Post by blueacid »

Echoing this - really glad it's coming soon! Only problem is that if it gets released before the lockdown lifts i'll be stuck without it; it's the router at my elderly parents house which is running gargoyle. No risk of my touching the router remotely, so it'll have to wait for its update!

Good luck with the work, Lantis, I really appreciate it!