Access Point Mode

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

caeci11ius

Access Point Mode

Post by caeci11ius »

A feature request here. I'm currently running Gargoyle on my main router and plain OpenWRT on a secondary as I just want to use the secondary as an access point. Originally (some years back) I ran Gargoyle on both as I was using wireless bridging, but have had to switch to OpenWRT on the secondary as I'm now linking them with Powerline to improve wireless performance. It'd be nice to be able to run the same firmware on both (mostly from a convenience standpoint).

Should be fairly simple addition - add a third mode radio button, and disable DHCP, routing etc. while leaving wireless active. Would be pretty well the same as the wireless extender mode, just without options to connect to a remote AP.

While I'm at it, I note that you can't run both radios simultaneously when running as a wireless extender. This would seem an oversight?

While I'm here, I'd like to thank all the contributors to this great piece of software. I've recently spent a lot more time with upstream OpenWRT as I have got much higher speed internet and was looking to improve routing performance. While it's true that OpenWRT does route faster without some of Gargoyle's special features, I found it absolutely impossible to get bandwidth accounting by device working. On Gargoyle, this is simple. That's a real achievement, and very necessary when your internet has quotas and needs to be shared out fairly.