Bandwith quota with rollover

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

awyea

Bandwith quota with rollover

Post by awyea »

The feature I would like is the ability to set a rolling bandwidth quota. Currently it is only possible to set either a daily or monthly limit before throttling/cutting off bandwidth. I would like to be able set a daily amount that would keep track of the total data used in the month. Then, if I don't use the entire daily allotment, it would carry over to the next day. This would be reset at the end of the month. This would allow for much better control of internet bandwidth for those with a monthly usage cap.

Example: I have a 310 GB monthly limit. This averages to 10GB per day, afterwords, the bandwidth is throttled. Day 1, I use 5GB. Therefor, day 2 I now have 15GB before throttling. If I use 20GB on day 2, I now only have 5GB on day 3 before it is throttled. Any extra data is reset at the end of the month.

Thanks for creating such a great product!

nworbnhoj

Re: Bandwith quota with rollover

Post by nworbnhoj »

Please add my vote to this type of functionality (to manage my teenagers + 18Gb/month)
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

dlogictech

Re: Bandwith quota with rollover

Post by dlogictech »

Hi,
You mentioned in your FAQ that monitoring the WAN is far more useful than the LAN portion.
I totally agree and to further take this to the next level of usefulness, I will suggest that you add the ability to have a roll over limit for each day to a total for the month.

For example, If one had a 300 Gig cap per month, then the ability to limit a per day quota for the number of days in that month to a maximum of the monthly limit of 300 Gig.
Then have the ability to throttle or shutdown that connection.
This would be very useful and help save any overage costs associated with going over your monthly quota set by the ISP.

Dave
D-Link DIR-835 Rev. A1 using Gargoyle
1.9.X (Built 20160524-1903 git@004a64c)

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ver. 1.6 using Gargoyle

TP-Link TL-WR740N Ver. 1.10 using Gargoyle