Captive Portal

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Gargoyle87

Captive Portal

Post by Gargoyle87 »

Will we see a captive portal feature in Gargoyle any soon? :D

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Captive Portal

Post by Eric »

Eventually, yes. Soon, no. Sorry.

I've started on this, but I have a long way to go and it's nowhere near anything close to a release state. Also, I'm currently spending most of my time porting Gargoyle to Backfire, so captive portal will have to wait until after that is done.

rfdude

Re: Captive Portal Like NoCatSplash?

Post by rfdude »

I guess the response regarding Captive Portals includes simple redirect versions like NoCatSplash or similar? I'd like to use Gargoyle as a simple quota protection on an otherwise open HotSpot. Having a splash screen at the beginning of a session to declare some guidelines would be nice so the hotspot isn't totally annonomous.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

rfdude
rfdude
------------------
1.09.2 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 -> 8 OpenMesh AP's
1.10.0 Archer C7 -> Multiple Cisco 1702i Autonomous Mode

Gargoyle87

Post by Gargoyle87 »

Will the captive portal option be available in the near time? :D
Last edited by Gargoyle87 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gargoyle87

Post by Gargoyle87 »

Any progress? :)

nzjohn

Post by nzjohn »

Hi guys. I have a homestay with people from all over (Saudi Arabia especially) who just don’t seem to read and understand rules or follow them. I get pissed when they make a mess in the kitchen and bathroom and they ASSUME I'm a bloody cleaner. I need to set up a splash screen they see before going on to the www from my network, at the mo I'm running gargoyle on an Accton MR3201A...any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Gargoyle87

Post by Gargoyle87 »

nzjohn wrote:I get pissed when they make a mess in the kitchen and bathroom and they ASSUME I'm a bloody cleaner.
No need to tell us about your life details, this is a technical forum :?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Gargoyle87: I think he was just trying to (colorfully) emphasize that these guys are messing up his network, just like his kitchen. The point is well taken, and Gargoyle is meant to solve problems like this.

Unfortunately, though, captive portal is still a ways off. I took a bit of a detour to implement wireless N support since the routers that Gargoyle supported before this most recent update are really old, and are quickly becoming obsolete. I'd prefer if people don't need antique hardware to run my software.

So... yes, I do intend to implement captive portal. I haven't forgotten. I've just had some setbacks and found a large number of other minor issues I've felt needed to be addressed before I dedicate a hue block of time to implementing captive portal (since that is what it will take).

vivat

Post by vivat »

After torturing myself with OpenWRT/Luci I now tried Gargoyle… What a relief!

However, I really need captive portal so installed nodogsplash (opkg install nodogsplash). Seems to work nicely so far.

Was it OK to do so, shuld I expect any problems / conflicts?

ydmlog

Post by ydmlog »

Eric wrote: So... yes, I do intend to implement captive portal. I haven't forgotten. I've just had some setbacks and found a large number of other minor issues I've felt needed to be addressed before I dedicate a hue block of time to implementing captive portal (since that is what it will take).

Another vote for an integrated coova chilli captive portal :-)
But of course I understand it is quite some work to get it done.

Tnx in advance
kind regards
Y.

PS I 'll try to install it with opkg in the meantime.