Add GUI for VLAN configurations

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Chilling_Silence

Re: Add GUI for VLAN configurations

Post by Chilling_Silence »

I've been looking at this, just wondering if it's something that could be re-set via UCI or something every time the system saves and reloads?
Perhaps via a Plugin or something even?

Am I right that the following is run, every time the "Save Changes" button is clicked?
/usr/lib/gargoyle/restart_network.sh

If so, I'm sure I could figure out a way to force a VLAN on the WAN interface by having that modified.

What I'm wanting is to setup a router that can be given out to family, allowing them to change things like the WiFi name, but still at the same time forcing VLAN10 on the WAN (For UFB).
Happy to custom-compile it even if that's what's required, though I'm sure something like this could potentially even be done in the

Thoughts?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Nah that's not the right script as far as I know. That jus takes down the network, re-reads the config files, and then reloads the network.

The problem is that save changes in general overwrites configurations that it isn't programmed to make.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Chilling_Silence

Post by Chilling_Silence »

Yeah my theory is if that script is called *after* the networking changes are made to the network conf, I could custom modify it so that at the _start_ of that script being run, it checks the network conf file and modifies the WAN adding VLAN10 to it.
If this were a Plugin, control of VLAN10 could be easy enough to add / remove by adding / removing this plugin. :D that's my current theory, anyways.

Time to brush up on my shell scripting I think :roll:

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I see what you mean now. Sure I guess that could work. Give it a go.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

psycik

Post by psycik »

Did it work.

psycik

Post by psycik »

So I've spent a fair amount of time trying to get both a 1.8 and 2.1 version wr1043nd working with tagging.

Even took the 2.1 to a friend of mine that works at at isp and no combination of tagging and untagging would get tagged traffic coming out of the wan port.

I have some other options to play with the 1.8 version hardware.

Both I was currently trying to use gargoyle 1.8. But what combinations are known as working?

Even using openwrt on the 2.1 hardware we couldn't get going.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

psycik wrote:So I've spent a fair amount of time trying to get both a 1.8 and 2.1 version wr1043nd working with tagging.

Even took the 2.1 to a friend of mine that works at at isp and no combination of tagging and untagging would get tagged traffic coming out of the wan port.

Both I was currently trying to use gargoyle 1.8. But what combinations are known as working?

I am guessing you didn't configure it correctly. You must have missed/overlooked a few settings I have already posted.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

psycik

Post by psycik »

ericwong wrote:
psycik wrote:So I've spent a fair amount of time trying to get both a 1.8 and 2.1 version wr1043nd working with tagging.

I am guessing you didn't configure it correctly. You must have missed/overlooked a few settings I have already posted.
I wouldn't have thought so.

Anyway your v1 config, that is a 1.8 Hardware Router? And you've confirmed it on 1.6.2, what about 1.8 Gargoyle or 1.7.3?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

psycik wrote: I wouldn't have thought so.

Anyway your v1 config, that is a 1.8 Hardware Router? And you've confirmed it on 1.6.2, what about 1.8 Gargoyle or 1.7.3?
I have used the same VLAN configuration on both v1 and v2 Tp-1043nd. Works on both, makes no difference. Gargoyle firmware is not relevant either because this is a core Openwrt functionality which have not changed.

I am pretty certain you miss some configuration if it did not work ;)

To troubleshoot or if you unsure the correct VLAN configuration, change your router firmware to Openwrt and setup the VLAN using Openwrt's GUI. Then, download the network configuration file and use it after you have change your router firmware back to Gargoyle.

This is what I did to figure out the correct VLAN configuration for my router because Gargoyle didn't have the GUI and it can be difficult to configure it manually via plain text if you are not sure what you are doing ;)
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

psycik

Post by psycik »

ericwong wrote:
psycik wrote: I wouldn't have thought so.

I have used the same VLAN configuration on both v1 and v2 Tp-1043nd. Works on both, makes no difference. Gargoyle firmware is not relevant either because this is a core Openwrt functionality which have not changed.

I am pretty certain you miss some configuration if it did not work ;)

To troubleshoot or if you unsure the correct VLAN configuration, change your router firmware to Openwrt and setup the VLAN using Openwrt's GUI. Then, download the network configuration file and use it after you have change your router firmware back to Gargoyle.

This is what I did to figure out the correct VLAN configuration for my router because Gargoyle didn't have the GUI and it can be difficult to configure it manually via plain text if you are not sure what you are doing ;)
That's what my friend did. After a bit of playing in gargoyle he switched to openwrt. He tried the combinations of 5t 6t, 5 6t, 5t 6t and included tried tagging some of the other lan ports and killing off all the firewall rules so that he could see in and out traffic on the wan port. To no avail.

How are you connecting to the ONT since you seem to be using DHCP where I've been using PPPoe