My Gargoyle Experience & Suggested Features

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

NGowner

My Gargoyle Experience & Suggested Features

Post by NGowner »

First off, this is a great piece of software for routers. Thank you for making it available to us. It has given me the confidence and verification abilities to allow my son to have a computer in his room. I hope that what I write below will be considered to make the software even better.

1) More granular DNS capabilities
I'd like to be able to not only specify not only which IP address a particular MAC address gets, but specify which DNS server that IP address MUST use (ISP provided/Global Router Setting/Other). And this setting would be independent of/override, for that IP only, the global force DNS use checkbox. That way I can use OpenDNS's value add dashboard to set restrictions to limit access to age inappropriate destinations for children (who get fixed IP addresses so I can apply additional Gargoyle based rules), but allow adults (who get dynamically provided IP addresses) to go where they please (by sending them to use other DNS servers).

2) Figure out a way to allow us to copy things from within the Gargoyle pages. For some reason, I can't select text from several (maybe all?) of the gargoyle pages to copy and use in other pages/applications. Why is that?

3) Hostnames
Please, please, please use and display hostnames everywhere you show IP and/or MAC address. I can't track things by MAC address or IP address. I need to see what the systems are named (in addition to seeing IP and MAC).

4) Web Tracking
Whenever I make a change to the website tracking page after its initial configuration, it stops tracking. Set it up to track specific IPs, then come back a few days later, and change the number of websites from 300 to 450. It stops doing its thing. No more websites tracked. In fact, the sites tracked until that point do not display any longer. It's empty. Can't reset. Can't change anything else. Try rebooting via menu to get it tracking again. No dice. Nothing changes. Have to pull the power cord and hard reset that way. Then everything reappears (including what was tracked before the change took place), but there was no logging during the time the web tracking was hung. I think this is a bug.

Thanks again for a great development effort.

[NG]Owner

uncle john

Re: My Gargoyle Experience & Suggested Features

Post by uncle john »

4) Web Tracking...
Your comment about the The Web Tracking bug is pretty serious since this feature really sets Gargoyle apart from other products as far as Parental Controls is concerned.
So I hope it gets noticed.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I just tried to replicate the web tracking issue, but couldn't. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

I have seen this in older versions (don't remember which) but not recently.

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

NGowner wrote:4) Web Tracking
Whenever I make a change to the website tracking page after its initial configuration, it stops tracking. Set it up to track specific IPs, then come back a few days later, and change the number of websites from 300 to 450. It stops doing its thing. No more websites tracked. In fact, the sites tracked until that point do not display any longer. It's empty. Can't reset. Can't change anything else. Try rebooting via menu to get it tracking again. No dice. Nothing changes. Have to pull the power cord and hard reset that way. Then everything reappears (including what was tracked before the change took place), but there was no logging during the time the web tracking was hung. I think this is a bug.
I just got bitten by this again. The tracker stopped tracking for about 10 days after I added a few more IPs for it to track. Had to do a hard reset before the pages from 10 days ago showed again. And nothing in the interim was recorded.

Any progress in squashing this bug? Can I help any other way?

[NG]Owner

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Try the latest 1.3.1 release. The web usage monitor has been completely updated/rewritten, and this bug should now be fixed.

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

Thank you Eric. I'll get it installed this week.

[NG]Owner

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

Eric,

I have bad news. I can't input a number of IP addresses to monitor. I'm trying to monitor only 192.168.1.150 - 192.168.1.160. I need to put them all in manually because I can't specify a range. That's not the problem, though the ability to enter a range would be nice....

But the router won't even let me enter in each IP address individually. I try to enter all eleven, then save. Only five register and the dropdown menu changes from Monitor Only to Exclude. I change the dropdown to Monitor Only, and save again (without adding any of the dropped IPs back) :!: , and then two more IP addresses vanish, and the dropdown menu changes again.

Is this a bug? Or is it an issue with having restored the prior version's backup config to the new version?

NGOwner

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Actually, you can test that yourself to find out.

Backup all your current settings again, to a new file.

Restore to defaults - wait til it completes, then power-cycle router.

Power cycle is necessary sometimes as the router remembers old info.

Go back in and just setup the 11 IP's to monitor.

If you can't get those setup with a fresh config, then yea, it
may be a bug and needs to be reported.

If it does work, you might have to just start from scratch and
re-do your whole config manually.

Also - you didn't happen to switch browsers by chance?

I have noticed IE and Chrome and Firefox can make different
backup files with different file extensions.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

That's a bug, thanks for pointing it out.

It's fixed now in the git repository, and the fix will be included in the next release.