asterisk front end

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

nabil_koi

asterisk front end

Post by nabil_koi »

I have recently installed asterisk on my gargoyle firmware. I would be very happy if someone can develop a front end for asterisk. there is a front end for asterisk in openwrt named luci-app-pbx

stuartbh

Re: asterisk front end

Post by stuartbh »

Gagoylers,

In fact I was looking at running Asterisk on Gargoyle and am wondering how difficult of an endeavor it is to install? Moreover, I am wondering if a GUI was ever developed that eases the Asterisk configuration which runs under Gargoyle (I know there are GUIs for Asterisk if you install it on x86 with AsteriskNow or the like).

Now whilst my current router is a Netgear WNDR3700v2, I am looking at acquiring a Linksys AC1200 or AC1900 to use in the future (for a larger RAM and Flash footprint as well as a faster processor).

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No Asterisk plugins no. The package itself should be installable from upstream unless it has kernel dependencies.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:No Asterisk plugins no. The package itself should be installable from upstream unless it has kernel dependencies.
As I have never installed a package onto Gargoyle that is from OpenWRT, I am curious, is there any published guidance on the best practices for doing that?

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

Gargoyle does not have a central repository of kernel modules, as is the case with OpenWrt (I'm also disappointed :cry: ) if asterisk needs one. I see this as the only way to compile own build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11883
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/add ... tware/opkg

Code: Select all

opkg update
opkg install <package>
The command opkg used to work out of the box but I think compatibility problems started happening so now I'm not sure of its current status with gargoyle

so use gpkg instead

Code: Select all

gpkg update
gpkg install <package>

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

RomanHK, et alia:

I hope your phone booth icon/picture has been sent into 2600 Magazine at some point! :)

I ssh'ed into my Gargoyle router and attempted to do a:

gpkg list | grep -i 'asterisk' | less

Surprisingly, I got some very odd screen response/gibberish from less. There must be some different version of less on Gargoyle than what is normal on most Linux systems. I did notice that in the gpkg list (after I looked specifically) there is 'less-full', so Gargoyle must come with 'less-less' or something.
RomanHK wrote:Gargoyle does not have a central repository of kernel modules, as is the case with OpenWrt (I'm also disappointed :cry: ) if asterisk needs one. I see this as the only way to compile own build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11883
I am not sure if you are suggesting that the only way to make Asterisk work on Gargoyle is to compile it (and thus all the Asterisk packages that gpkg list shows are defective and not worthy of an attempt to install) or if you are suggesting that Gargoyle's lack of a central repository of kernel modules makes building Asterisk from scratch very difficult and fails? Can you please elucidate on the meaning of your commentary above?

At any rate, in succession to looking at the ostensibly available list of packages for Gargoyle using gpkg list, therewith stood some several Asterisk packages, inclusive of 'Asterisk15' (a basic install of most of what is needed I presume). For the moment, I have held off on attempting to install it as I am presuming you are suggesting such an endeavor will fail and be a waste of time.

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

To explain why I am designing own compilation is that there may be a problem with the installation and the asterisk package will need to install a compatible version of the kernel module and it will fail here.

Yes, the opkg package (gpkg) is clipped - the Gargoyle GUI does not need more features of this package, and manual installation is at your own risk.

I'm just an advanced user, more information from Gargoyle developers.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

stuartbh wrote:RomanHK, et alia:

I hope your phone booth icon/picture has been sent into 2600 Magazine at some point! :)
Oou...
...The police box design has also been registered as a trademark by the BBC...
I'm very sorry :oops: , I didn't know it was a registered trademark. I will remove the avatar right away. I'm a fan of the BBC series and that's why I put my avatar on - "if I can, I will help...". Sorry once again :oops: .

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If asterisk relies on a kernel module that is not included in Gargoyle already (I don't know what it requires) then it will try to source that kmod.
If you have kernel version X and it can only find kmods for version Y, it won't proceed.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.