IPV6 for future releases

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

gargoyler

IPV6 for future releases

Post by gargoyler »

Hello everybody,

Let me start off by saying that Gargoyle basically saved my router from ending up in the trash. I have a TP-Link 1043nd router (v1.8) and for the past few months I had nothing but wireless issues. Only a full power circle could make my router run again, just to make the wireless connection drop again after a couple of hours. Worst day was when I had to reset the device three times within an hour. I tried running every firmware from TP-link ever released for the device, yet every version gave me the same wireless issues. A quick Google search showed numerous of similar complaints to mine with no help from TP-Link whatsoever. Two days ago I installed Gargoyle 1.5.9 on the router and it has been running perfectly ever since. No more dropouts, nice speeds and I even have an improved wireless signal. I know 48 hours of uptime is nothing, but when you were used to resetting a router three times a day then 48 hours seems like a gift from heaven.

TP-link is planning on releasing IPV6 support for the 1043nd this year. Problem is, I don't want to risk going back to TP-link firmware after my previous experiences. It would be great to see Gargoyle supporting IPV6 in their upcoming releases. I know this is already possible by using this trick (http://knowhow.bart.prokop.name/install/openwrt/ipv6), but I am a noob when it comes to routers and without some step by step help, I can't get it done. Flashing to the the openWRT image with IPV6 support is a possibility, but I am a gargoyle fan now and really want to stay on Gargoyle firmware (though I know it's based on OpenWRT). So if future Gargoyle releases would support IPV6, I would be forever greatfull, because I have given up on TP-Link support.

Thanks for reading!

DoesItMatter

Re: IPV6 for future releases

Post by DoesItMatter »

You got me interested and from some searching - found this page:

http://en.linuxreviews.org/Why_you_want_IPv6

Read through it - LOT of interesting detail - especially this part:
You must have a firewall and complete control of the services when you are in a IPv6 environment. Every computer is a equal node on the Internet. Where the NAT firewall stops all unestablished connections from the outside IPv6 welcomes it.
I don't think Gargoyle will work at all with IPv6 - not as it is right now

If you are looking for IPv6 - you may want to stick with the
OpenWRT releases or your own Trunk builds and add IPv6 as a package
or build your own OpenWRT builds and compile in IPv6
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

gargoyler

Post by gargoyler »

Thank you for your repy. IPv6 is not really a dealbreaker at this point, I'm just glad my router works again like it's supposed to. I could wait for an OpenWRT release for my device with IPv6 integrated or just return to TP-Link official firmware and hope they will have completely revisited their fimrware for the next release with IPv6. If not, I can only hope Gargoyle somehow manages to make IPv6 work or simply buy a new router. But for now, I am really happy with Gargoyle :D

Luke-Jr

Post by Luke-Jr »

Unfortunately, lack of support in the kernel even is a deal-breaker issue for me. If it were at least in the kernel, I could just configure it manually.

OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment supports IPv6 just fine, and has for years.

A firewall is really only necessary if your hosts are insecure anyway.