ath5k/mac80211 drivers for AR231x/5312 arch next release

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

braveheartleo

ath5k/mac80211 drivers for AR231x/5312 arch next release

Post by braveheartleo »

It's been a while since I last updated my router firmware, and I have successfully ran Gargoyle 1.5.9 on DIR-300 rev.A. This is after removing some unnecessary and never-used modules that are set to load on startup, and disabling some services, to make some room for working memory. Running stable on a Multiple BSSID Wireless AP setup. :)

Though Gargoyle 1.5.9 is based on OpenWRT's Attitude Adjustment v12.09, I see that the compiled images include the now obsolete madwifi driver.

I would like to request that the next iteration of Gargoyle to use the up-to-date and supported ath5k/mac80211 drivers for the AR231x/5312 architecture.

I have successfully ran OpenWRT's trunk with ath5k/mac80211 drivers for wifi, and would like to see the improvements it offers in Gargoyle as well.

I understand that given such devices are nearing resource exhaustion due to low memory, they may no longer be able to support running future iterations of OpenWRT. Until such time that they've been dropped from support in OpenWRT, and with a bit of tweaking, these low end devices are yet able to go the extra mile while still keeping up-to-date with user- and kernel-space drivers and software.