Open VPN GUI

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

2ks-kyle

Open VPN GUI

Post by 2ks-kyle »

Hello,

I have used TOR on versions 1.52 and 1.53 and like the feature. However, I have need of a VPN at times. I would like to see Open VPN available in Gargoyle with a configuration menu so you can use the free OpenVPN or configure Gargoyle to run a subscription OpenVPN service. This would allow me to put Gargoyle on my other router too.

Thanks

mix

Re: Open VPN GUI

Post by mix »

Some sort of VPN web module was being worked on at some point recently, don't really know what happened though. I have to believe more people have a use for VPN than they do for tor, but I guess each project has it's priorities.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

2ks-kyle

Post by 2ks-kyle »

I tried TOR and I guess its useful. But I certainly have A LOT more use for VPN than I do for TOR, so I hope that the VPN feature is added in the near future. Gargoyle is the best! But for now I will need to use a different firmware on my other router but I would switch to Gargoyle if I could. Hint... hint... ;)

williamparker786

Post by williamparker786 »

I am looking to encrypt all my traffic so no one can see what sites i am visiting and mainly protect my privacy. I did look at TOR but found out making a request to a site took ages and it was just not very useful as site were taking 5 min to load. I also heard that VPN server is pretty good in these kind of activities so prefer any VPN provider. There is a exit node which was possible to capture data and information.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

williamparker786: I suspect you're just a spammer, since you included a link to a VPN service provider, which I've removed. Put it back, and I'll ban you.

However, I'm not deleting your entire post since I'd like to use it to make a very important point. There are a LOT of cases where OpenVPN is very, very useful and I am definitely considering this feature request very seriously.... but if you're using it for anonymity, and you think you're actually protected, think again. Yes, Tor is slow, but it is the only thing that works.

The problem boils down to this: Your traffic is encrypted, but the IP addresses at each end of the connection are not. People can see who is talking to who, even if the data being carried isn't visible.

Here's a video of the guy who created Tor explaining the problem. He also claims that he heard from an Iranian activist that everyone to whom he taught anything other than Tor ended up in jail. Presumably because of problems like this.

By the way, both of those videos are really awesome (though kind of long) -- Roger is an outstanding speaker, and I'd recommend anyone interested in network security in general to watch them.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

There are a LOT of cases where OpenVPN is very, very useful and I am definitely considering this feature request very seriously
I want it for a home to work connection or even "on the road" to home or work.

FreeS/WAN?

L2TP?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

ispyisail: Wanting to connect to a home nework while on the road or from work is one of the perfectly sensible uses of OpenVPN. It offers convenience and protects the data that you're transferring over the connection.

My point above was that when williamparker786 claims that it is a good, general solution for anonymity, he's just wrong. Even though the data is encrypted, anyone monitoring your connection can tell that you were communicating with home/work, and when you were communicating even though they can't tell what is being communicated. Also, FreeSwan and L2TP suffer from the exact same problems, since conceptually they are very similar to OpenVPN, just implemented a little bit differently.

hellbound1988

Post by hellbound1988 »

I just want to make a point that L2TP and PPTP are supported in most of the embedded devices like android and Apple. So it would be better if we get an L2TP server/client in Gargoyle :)

ng3700v2

Post by ng3700v2 »

I would just be happy to have my Windows7 VPN sever be visible behind my WNDR3700v2 router running gargoyle. See my old post from December 9th: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =vpn#p9254 And my original post from March 17th: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =vpn#p5931

If I switch over to my WRT54GL running tomato, I can hop on the VPN server without any issue!
The "lsmod" output from my WRT54GL running tomato has these extra kernel modules loaded:
nf_nat_pptp
nf_conntrack_pptp
nf_nat_proto_gre
nf_conntrack_proto_gre

I've got to believe that the presence of these kernel modules are what make it possible on tomato.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get the GRE protocol packets forwarded? I think that "gre" kernel modules are required, but I can't get them to load after installing the necessary packages.

Any help would be GREATLY GREATLY GREATLY appreciated! Please! I've been battling this for almost a year. And I try it again for every new release of gargoyle hoping that the bump to newer OpenWRT versions will resolve any issues... But still a no-go.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

ng3700v2 wrote:I would just be happy to have my Windows7 VPN sever be visible behind my WNDR3700v2 router running gargoyle. See my old post from December 9th: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =vpn#p9254 And my original post from March 17th: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =vpn#p5931

If I switch over to my WRT54GL running tomato, I can hop on the VPN server without any issue!
The "lsmod" output from my WRT54GL running tomato has these extra kernel modules loaded:
nf_nat_pptp
nf_conntrack_pptp
nf_nat_proto_gre
nf_conntrack_proto_gre

I've got to believe that the presence of these kernel modules are what make it possible on tomato.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get the GRE protocol packets forwarded? I think that "gre" kernel modules are required, but I can't get them to load after installing the necessary packages.

Any help would be GREATLY GREATLY GREATLY appreciated! Please! I've been battling this for almost a year. And I try it again for every new release of gargoyle hoping that the bump to newer OpenWRT versions will resolve any issues... But still a no-go.
In port forwarding you must forward the following ports to your VPN server:
for PPTP VPN
TCP Port 1723
UDP Port 500

for L2TP VPN
TCP Port 1701
UDP Port 500

for IPSec
UDP Port 500
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4