Request to add DLNA Support.

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

ldi9999

Request to add DLNA Support.

Post by ldi9999 »

It would be nice to add DLNA media server.

ispyisail

Re: Request to add DLNA Support.

Post by ispyisail »

ldi9999

Post by ldi9999 »

Is uShare included in Gargoyle? Or do I need to install it? Thanks.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I had a quick play with this feature with no luck

Statik

Post by Statik »

So far I found one problem. There IS a file, /etc/config/ushare that you can edit, but it doesn't seem to affect ushare. Ushare seems to be controlled by /etc/ushare.conf instead.

The initial run took the CPU to 100% and I lost internet and everything else. A reboot brought the router back, but ushare is still running. Perhaps unleashing it on my 1TB drive was to much, but with 6 instances of /usr/bin/ushare running with the cpu load at 100%, I think I'll remove it for now. :)

Statik

Statik

Post by Statik »

trying minidlna now:

Code: Select all

root@Gargoyle:/etc# opkg update
root@Gargoyle:/etc# opkg install minidlna
root@Gargoyle:/etc# vi /etc/minidlna.conf
Other than changing the share location, I changed nothing.

Then:

root@Gargoyle:/# /etc/init.d/minidlna enable
root@Gargoyle:/# /etc/init.d/minidlna start
Almost immediately I could access media on the network with Allshare (on my Samsung Galaxy S2X). DLNA was running great.

Hope this helps someone!

Statik

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

thanks

grant

Post by grant »

I installed then uninstalled ushare (opkg remove ushare) since it wasn't working with my blu-ray. Then I tried to install minidlna but it said there wasn't enough room. How do I remove any left over bits from ushare? I have a wndr3700v2.

Thanks

EDIT: Apparently miniDLNA is too big for my router... which is odd since it has a lot of flash.

apa64

miniDLNA

Post by apa64 »

How can I increase the space available for miniDLNA's files.db database?

I managed to intall miniDLNA on my Netgear WNDR3700v2 with Gargoyle 1.5.4 with Statik's instructions above. In addition I changed the following lines in the minidlna.conf:

media_dir=V,/tmp/usb_mount/dev_sda1/Media/Video
friendly_name=netgear
presentation_url=http://192.168.1.1:8200/
If I include all my photos and mp3s the database file would grow to 30-50 megabytes and that wouldn't fit in the router's memory. Actually I get the router to boot itself when I let minidlna scan everything on my USB disk. Gargoyle is probably running out of memory?

I tried to set the db_dir on the same USB disk in a separate directory but that failed in a very scary way: I left miniDLNA to scan the disk and went to sleep... meanwhile the router had booted itself and the 1 TB disk capacity was shown as 30 MB and seemed to contain only the minidlna directory with log and db file (as seen through samba from windows)!! So:

WARNING! Don't set the minidlna db_dir to the same disk you are serving the media from.

Well, after a unmount, reboot and some worried handwaving the disk was ok, nothing had been actually deleted... but that left an impression that using the usb disk isn't a safe way to get more room for the db file.