Ability to see more than 100% usage in Bandwidth Quota Usage

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

nocap

Ability to see more than 100% usage in Bandwidth Quota Usage

Post by nocap »

In Bandwidth Quota Usage you are able to view how much of the given Active Quotas are used. An Active Quota can in reality exceed 100% as there is an option to throttle bandwidth when quota is exceeded, (instead of shutting it down). I believe it would be informative to know how much the quota has been exceeded, e.g. quota is set to 10GB, throttling kicks in but lets say another 2GB is used - then Bandwidth Quota Usage would show 120% instead of 100%

If it’s of relevance to me only – feel free to shoot it down. Thank you for you for great work!
1.11.X on WRT32X
plus a brick on a shelf somewhere

fifonik

Re: Ability to see more than 100% usage in Bandwidth Quota Usage

Post by fifonik »

Just seen such situation a few days ago and thought the same!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Definitely a good idea.
My only concern is how people will interpret the data in the case of hard cutoff quotas.

Technically, although the user is cutoff, a small amount of data might still be recorded against the user. This data is of no consequence, but I can already see in my crystal ball having the answer the question:
“My cut off internet quota doesn’t work because the usage is at 101%”

And I’m not about making my life harder lol.

So perhaps the hard cutoff quotas will still show 100% (whether it’s true or not).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

This can easily be "fixed" by adding comment, something like "Quota can exceed 100% when throttled"

In my case user reached quota and got throttled. However, continued to use torrent and youtube non-stop so reached almost 110% that was not easily visible on the usage page.

rfdude

Post by rfdude »

This topic has been posted before, including by myself for exactly the reasons mentioned.... using throttling exceeds 100%. I still support this as a logical request, subject to all the other pressures and prioritization.
rfdude
------------------
1.09.2 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 -> 8 OpenMesh AP's
1.10.0 Archer C7 -> Multiple Cisco 1702i Autonomous Mode