Bandwidth Quota additional functionality

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

llarsw

Bandwidth Quota additional functionality

Post by llarsw »

Hello, I wasn't sure of a concise way of describing what I am looking to do for the Subject.

I've been running into issues with the household running over the monthly bandwidth limits imposed by the ISP (Comcast) and I've been looking for a way to impose limits to prevent overage fees and it looks like Gargoyle is the best solution to do this. Comcast allows 1TB of bandwidth per month so if I were to impose a daily limit of 30gb I should stay under that limit.

The one thing that would be great if it could do would be to have what I guess could be described as a dynamic quota. So basically every day at say midnight, 30gb (user adjustable) is added into a pool and usage is subtracted from that pool. So on day 1 if only 10gb is used, then the next day the pool would have 50gb in it and so on with the WAN getting disabled if the pool ever hits 0. And then at the end of the month the pool resets.

I hope that makes sense and I'm not sure if it is doable but I figured I'd ask.

Lantis

Re: Bandwidth Quota additional functionality

Post by Lantis »

It’s not built in, but another user came up with this solution which I think would meet your needs
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9195#p41086
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

Not sure, why not set per month quota for each user?
For me the "per day" idea would be inconvenient as sometimes I would like to download a lot in one day and then keep it low later on.

llarsw

Post by llarsw »

Lantis wrote:It’s not built in, but another user came up with this solution which I think would meet your needs
That link looks promising, thank you for the info.

OMJ

Post by OMJ »

llarsw wrote:Hello, I wasn't sure of a concise way of describing what I am looking to do for the Subject.

I've been running into issues with the household running over the monthly bandwidth limits imposed by the ISP (Comcast) and I've been looking for a way to impose limits to prevent overage fees and it looks like Gargoyle is the best solution to do this. Comcast allows 1TB of bandwidth per month so if I were to impose a daily limit of 30gb I should stay under that limit.

The one thing that would be great if it could do would be to have what I guess could be described as a dynamic quota. So basically every day at say midnight, 30gb (user adjustable) is added into a pool and usage is subtracted from that pool. So on day 1 if only 10gb is used, then the next day the pool would have 50gb in it and so on with the WAN getting disabled if the pool ever hits 0. And then at the end of the month the pool resets.

I hope that makes sense and I'm not sure if it is doable but I figured I'd ask.
I found & flashed gargoyle for this exact reason, last month (Dec 2018) our usage was 1.4TB :o I flashed Gargoyle at the very end of Dec, and now I can see who is using the most data, very nice tools!

I like your idea, but I'm not sure using a 30GB quota each day would work out. Our usage varies each day & each device so we could use 50GB day 1 then only 10GB day 2. I was trying to think of a way to script it so I wouldn't need to deny usage on a higher use day.

If you figure something out, please share!