Speed Mode, proposal

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

danielwritesback

Speed Mode, proposal

Post by danielwritesback »

With the new support of older models, they may need more appropriate cpu load.

Just a wee checkbox for cancelling the auto-start of several CPU-intensive monitors. Then the pages that need the monitors could start them automatically on viewing the page, or have a button for it.

I already did turn off bwmon. Haven't found out quite yet how to turn off some of the QOS extras. But I want to! I don't actually use the portion of QOS features that require so many monitors. I've no plans to stare at router config screens 24/7 so the monitors don't need to run like that either.

The thing is, I'd like to turn them ON from the gui.
And specifically, not with the power cord.

It looks like the ar71xx and ramips are both in need of the "speed mode" feature.

d3fz

Re: Speed Mode, proposal

Post by d3fz »

There's a similar (if not identical) feature request on this opened issue on Gargoyle's GitHub. Please read the full discussion.

You can do exactly this with the Services plugin.

See if it works for you.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

danielwritesback

d3fz wrote:There's a similar (if not identical) feature request on this opened issue on Gargoyle's GitHub. Please read the full discussion.
You can do exactly this with the Services plugin.
See if it works for you.
Thanks.
And then a question--which of the services in /plugin_root/www/js/initd.js, are Unsafe to disable?

I'd like to try a Clean Start approach by running the router barebones + qos + dnsmasq, and then activating more services only if needed.

De-Bloating /plugin_root/www/js/initd.js seems an excellent start! So, we might need the boot service, right? Anyway, so as to clean it, I need to know what actually belongs (is vital) in that file.
Any news?

CBx86

Post by CBx86 »

Hey!

I think initd.js is used by web interface (save, update, validate data, etc) of gargoyle.

I did a quick analysis and late night (sleepy), i may be wrong.

Cheers!

danielwritesback

d3fz wrote:...with the Services plugin. See if it works for you.
No difference in memory consumption or speed with my Archer C7 V2. De-bloating failed.

8mb less memory consumption and faster speed with my D-Link DIR-835. De-bloating succeeded!

Same version of Gargoyle, setup the same way, different results with the services plugin. Its mysterious.

But, having the slower router, slightly outrun the faster router, was a fun thing to do.