GUI for DNS Rebind protection

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

SirWeazel

GUI for DNS Rebind protection

Post by SirWeazel »

Is it possible to provide an option in the gui to configure dns rebind protection? Maybe an option to enable/disable as well as an option to provide a white list. This way if you wanted to, one could disable entirely or easily white list something. Thanks in advance for your hard work.

ispyisail

Re: GUI for DNS Rebind protection

Post by ispyisail »

SirWeazel

Post by SirWeazel »

Thank you for a quick reply. I wasn't asking what dns rebinding is, I understand it already. The issue is that there are times when you want to allow a site to perform this operation. An example would be utilizing some services that plex provides when running a plex server. Or some services provided by chromecast, or running a raspberry pi-hole box. I understand from a security standpoint, the option to completely disable may not be a good one, but the option to easily provide allowed dns entries would be a nice solution. I also understand that if you are running a pi-hole box, that one is knowledgeable enough to configure dnsmasq to allow for such issues or someone flashing 3rd party firmwares on routers or installing plex servers should be knowledgeable as well. But still, a gui would be nice, and some higher end router firmwares provide on option. I consider gargoyle "higher end" as well, and it would be nice to implement. If i haven't said so, i love gargoyle router and the hard work that has been involved to make it great. I'm not criticizing, just asking for a feature. I'm not a coder, so i'm not sure how hard this would be. I'm guessing you would need to read the file where this data is stored as well as utilize some openwrt uci commands?
Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing your response and replies.

SirWeazel

Post by SirWeazel »

I'm just curious. Do you think this is a reasonable feature request and something that might be implemented?
I'm fine either way, I was just making a suggestion and seeing what you guys thought also. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask and put the thought out there.

Thanks again for you hard work on this project.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Its usually about numbers or a developers personal interest.

If you can get hundreds of people wanting this feature.....a developer might take interest.

Openwrt is a better firmware custom options

jezzaaaa

Post by jezzaaaa »

I want this feature.